The Student Room Group

Nottingham, Surrey or QM?!

Hey guys!
applied for economics and finance. Confused between what to choose?! Which one amongst Nottingham Surrey or QM is best for econ?
Original post by ABF3
Hey guys!
applied for economics and finance. Confused between what to choose?! Which one amongst Nottingham Surrey or QM is best for econ?

Most reputable? Nottingham > Surrey=QM on a purely academic/employability level
Nottingham. By far. Visit the open days to decide for yourself, however.

I've attended a Surrey econ day and a Nottingham econ day, Surrey was very employability-oriented and didn't seem that fussed academically, Nottingham were the opposite (they sold their course on the basis that they had a Nobel prize winner in economics, which is pretty damn impressive for a non-Oxbridge uni, I'd say) - then, in passing, they mentioned their average starting salary, which I believe knocks Surrey's out of the park.

As a warning, the guy doing the Nottingham talk said that if you didn't reach their offer (A*AA for straight econ) you were very unlikely to gain a place. So if you're considering one of these as an insurance, you'd probably do better to look at Surrey or QM.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
1. What is your career goal after university?
2. What areas of economics are you interested in?
3. Have you visited each of the universities?

What I'd say is that, for most careers, the university you attended makes little difference. What is more important is what extra-curricular activities you partook in and also your specific skillset.

It is important to realise that all three universities are very different in terms of location, atmosphere and modules offered.

For the vast majority of careers, though, choosing one over the other won't make much of a difference.
Im a current student at Nottingham, I study BSc Econ just finished my first year, it is without a doubt better than the other two! Ranked 6th for econ and 1st for the most employable grads! Also, I know many people on the course with less than A*AA
Reply 5
Original post by economicsuon
Im a current student at Nottingham, I study BSc Econ just finished my first year, it is without a doubt better than the other two! Ranked 6th for econ and 1st for the most employable grads! Also, I know many people on the course with less than A*AA

Nice job trying to sell Nottingham..! It is academically better than the other two universities in this thread, but you must take any rankings with a pinch of salt..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sanchez
Of those three, Nottingham without a doubt. Didn't know you could study Economics and Finance there though?

You cant, but Nottingham are the best for any econ course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending