The Student Room Group

Physics P1 Core Science Exam - AQA - 12th June 2014 - Revision Thread

Some of us will be sitting the last of our science exams tomorrow and I thought I would make this thread to help revise.
I did this with the chemistry exam before. The first person asks a physics higher question and then the next person answers it and writes a new question and so on...
I'll start :smile:

My question:
What does the observation of red-shift suggest is happening to the Universe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tsr1807
Some of us will be sitting the last of our science exams tomorrow and I thought I would make this thread to help revise.
I did this with the chemistry exam before. The first person asks a physics higher question and then the next person answers it and writes a new question and so on...
I'll start :smile:

My question:
What does the observation of red-shift suggest is happening to the Universe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think:

What does red shift mean in relation to distant galaxies?

Is that shift the same wherever it's measured?

What does the red shift tell us about the size of the observable universe in the future?
Check out this guy, he's brilliant and explains everything :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGqabAVv0SRD_SjtodhQPTQ
Original post by uberteknik
Think:

What does red shift mean in relation to distant galaxies?

Is that shift the same wherever it's measured?

What does the red shift tell us about the size of the observable universe in the future?

1) it tells us how far the galaxies have moved, and how fast they are moving away from us

2) Nope

3), it will be much larger if it continues to expand, also my physics teacher said something about the universe collapsing in on its self because it gets so big, is this true??
Your turn........

1) describe how carbon capture would prevent the build up of co2 in thethe atmosphere 2 marks

2) Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using energy from nuclear fuels that using energy from the wind

3) What is the difference between convection and conduction? ONLY TALK ABOUT WHAT THEY WORK THROUGH- I.E One is gases etc..

4) What is the difference between convection conduction and infrared radiation- only talk about how they pass the heat etc.

5) electric companies try to encourage people to buy electricity at night and early in the morning why do they do this??

6)Name the order of the electromagnetic spectrum

7) true or false- electromagnetic waves can travel though a vacuum ?

8) How does pumped storage work ??

Enjoy !!!
Has anyone any guesses 4 the 6-marker?
Need help on this question: Describe the different amounts of energy in solids, liquids and gases
Reply 7
Original post by Excuse Me!
Need help on this question: Describe the different amounts of energy in solids, liquids and gases

solids-particles don't have much energy as they can only vibrate about their fixed positions
liquids-more energy than particles of solids bc particles move in random directions at low speeds
gases- particles have more energy than solids and liquids-free to move in random direction at high speeds
Original post by Billsonbubbles
1) it tells us how far the galaxies have moved, and how fast they are moving away from us

It also points to an expanding universe and since the redshift is larger the further away the galaxy is from us, then the rate of expansion was larger long ago than it is at present

2) Nope

Correct. The measured redshift is a function of distance and hence the expansion of space in the intervening time. The further away the object is, the greater the redshift appears.

3), it will be much larger if it continues to expand
Correct.

.....also my physics teacher said something about the universe collapsing in on its self because it gets so big, is this true??
Old thinking suggested that because the redshift is greater for objects further away, it meant the Hubble constant (rate of expansion) was greater in the past than it is now which implies the expansion is slowing down and at some time in the future, the expansion will stop and reverse so that the universe collapses in on itself.

HOWEVER, recent measurements of certain distant objects (type 1a supernovae) suggest that the expansion has begun to accelerate (Nobel prize awarded for the discovery in 2011) prompting the theory of dark energy and a universe which expansion increases exponentially.

There are quite a few theories around for the eventual fate of the universe, but until dark energy and dark matter are confirmed or rejected, or something else takes their place to account for the observations, then we simply can only conjecture at the present time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Your turn........

1) describe how carbon capture would prevent the build up of co2 in thethe atmosphere 2 marks

2) Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using energy from nuclear fuels that using energy from the wind

3) What is the difference between convection and conduction? ONLY TALK ABOUT WHAT THEY WORK THROUGH- I.E One is gases etc..

4) What is the difference between convection conduction and infrared radiation- only talk about how they pass the heat etc.

5) electric companies try to encourage people to buy electricity at night and early in the morning why do they do this??

Enjoy !!!

The carbon dioxide is removed from waste gases and stored underground in oil fields or gas fields. These can be found in the North Sea.

Advantages of nuclear fuels:
-Energy is reliable and can be produced constantly
-More energy can be produced in a given time
-No pollutant gases reduced
Disadvantages of nuclear fuels:
-Radioactivity can be released and is hazardous to health
-The location of nuclear power stations must be considered. They're usually near the coast.
-Expensive to build
-Non-renewable resource

Advantages of wind energy:
-Renewable resource
-No fuel costs
-No pollutant gases (excluding when the turbines are built)
Disadvantages of wind energy:
-Unreliable. Wind strength differs.
-Initial cost of the turbine
-Noise pollution
-Visual pollution

Convection can occur in liquids and gases. Conduction occurs in solids - metals in particular as they are good conductors. Both require particles to happen.

Conduction: Particles gain energy and vibrate faster. This causes more collisions and the energy is passed along the 'material'. This passes along the heat.
Convection: (example in water) The water particles are heated. They gain energy and vibrate faster. This causes the hotter water to become less dense and rise. When it gets further from the heat source it cools and becomes more dense, causing it to sink back to the heat source.
Infrared radiation: Doesn't require particles. All objects emit and absorb it. (that's all I know? help please)

This is when there is less demand for electricity and so it is cheaper. (that's all I know? help please)

Lowest to highest frequency:
Radiowave
Microwave
Infrared
Visible Light
Ultraviolet
X-ray
Gamma

True

I'm not sure, help please?
Original post by jadeskittles
The carbon dioxide is removed from waste gases and stored underground in oil fields or gas fields. These can be found in the North Sea.

Advantages of nuclear fuels:
-Energy is reliable and can be produced constantly
-More energy can be produced in a given time
-No pollutant gases reduced
Disadvantages of nuclear fuels:
-Radioactivity can be released and is hazardous to health
-The location of nuclear power stations must be considered. They're usually near the coast.
-Expensive to build
-Non-renewable resource

Advantages of wind energy:
-Renewable resource
-No fuel costs
-No pollutant gases (excluding when the turbines are built)
Disadvantages of wind energy:
-Unreliable. Wind strength differs.
-Initial cost of the turbine
-Noise pollution
-Visual pollution

Convection can occur in liquids and gases. Conduction occurs in solids - metals in particular as they are good conductors. Both require particles to happen.

Conduction: Particles gain energy and vibrate faster. This causes more collisions and the energy is passed along the 'material'. This passes along the heat.
Convection: (example in water) The water particles are heated. They gain energy and vibrate faster. This causes the hotter water to become less dense and rise. When it gets further from the heat source it cools and becomes more dense, causing it to sink back to the heat source.
Infrared radiation: Doesn't require particles. All objects emit and absorb it. (that's all I know? help please)
That's really it just matt black is best emitter and absorber of this

This is when there is less demand for electricity and so it is cheaper. (that's all I know? help please) yes that's correct normally it would be wasted as people don't uy it even though nuclear power stations are always on .. etc

Lowest to highest frequency:
Radiowave
Microwave
Infrared
Visible Light
Ultraviolet
X-ray
Gamma

True

I'm not sure, help please?

like hydroelectric, so two lakes one high and one low. It is to help the demand for electricity- water is released and goes through a turbine to make electricity. Then when energy demand is low it is pumped back to higher lake to be ready for a change in demand

Well done that's at least an A- good luck tomorrow whats the carbon caprture I just asked and cant spell
Can someone please explain the process of conduction in metals? andd explain the process of convection? ;')
GOOD LOOK FOR THE EXAM TOMORROW GUYS! hope you all ace itt
Original post by Aaliyahxo
Can someone please explain the process of conduction in metals? andd explain the process of convection? ;')

Hi Aaliyahxo :smile:
Conduction in metals: heat is applied to part of the metal, the particles (ions) vibrate around a fixed position as they gain energy from the heating, as they gain enough energy, they vibrate even more than previously and enough to bang or "touch" neighbours as they vibrate with higher energy, and in turn, neighbouring ions start to vibrate as they gain energy passed on from previous ions in the structure, and so many ions in the metal gain heat energy and vibrate rapidly and the heat is conducted through the metal. The additional feature of delocalised electrons is that they are free to move, and when heat is applied they begin to move rapidly along the metallic structure, and pass on heat energy to ions as they move along which provides ions with energy helping speed up the process of conduction (which is why metals are such good conductors) I hope this helps with your first question.
Convection occurs in fluids. As heat is applied to a fluid, it gains heat energy, and so as it gets hotter the fluid itself beings to expands, becomes less dense, which means it is lighter than the surroundings, and beings to move upwards and this means the heated part of the fluid moves upwards, as it reaches the cooler part of the fluid at the top of the fluid, the heated fluid looses heat energy, contracts (particles become closer together, more dense as they loose heat energy), and therefore become more dense, heavier, and start to fall, they then fall to the bottom and get reheated by the source and so the process starts again. Fluids = usually liquids and gases. I hope this helps with your questions and please correct me if I have gone wrong with this, Thanks :smile:
Here is my questions:
1) Describe how the process of Evaporation helps a Human cool down during sports activities.
2) Explain the importance of a low U value for a coat during a Human's sports cold outdoor activities.
3) Explain why each of these methods of increasing energy efficiency would have the lowest payback times: (draft excluders (£5 each); double glazing (£2000 for 5 sq ft).
4) A Sound wave has a wave length of 5 Meters in a disco, what would the best width of a door be for the dancers in the other room of the disco to hear the music.
5) Define specific heat capacity.
6) Energy transferred = 1KJ, Temperature difference = 5'C, Mass of Metal = 5KG, calculate the specific heat capacity of the Metal.
7) Describe evidence of cosmic singularity.
All these questions are aimed at Tier H. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Just started my revision
same here
Original post by Kasim Awan
Hi Aaliyahxo :smile:
Conduction in metals: heat is applied to part of the metal, the particles (ions) vibrate around a fixed position as they gain energy from the heating, as they gain enough energy, they vibrate even more than previously and enough to bang or "touch" neighbours as they vibrate with higher energy, and in turn, neighbouring ions start to vibrate as they gain energy passed on from previous ions in the structure, and so many ions in the metal gain heat energy and vibrate rapidly and the heat is conducted through the metal. The additional feature of delocalised electrons is that they are free to move, and when heat is applied they begin to move rapidly along the metallic structure, and pass on heat energy to ions as they move along which provides ions with energy helping speed up the process of conduction (which is why metals are such good conductors) I hope this helps with your first question.
Convection occurs in fluids. As heat is applied to a fluid, it gains heat energy, and so as it gets hotter the fluid itself beings to expands, becomes less dense, which means it is lighter than the surroundings, and beings to move upwards and this means the heated part of the fluid moves upwards, as it reaches the cooler part of the fluid at the top of the fluid, the heated fluid looses heat energy, contracts (particles become closer together, more dense as they loose heat energy), and therefore become more dense, heavier, and start to fall, they then fall to the bottom and get reheated by the source and so the process starts again. Fluids = usually liquids and gases. I hope this helps with your questions and please correct me if I have gone wrong with this, Thanks :smile:

THANK YOU SOO MUCH! Reallly helped good look everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending