Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much UEA's gym costs to join/per month? And are yoga (etc) classes extra?

Thanks. xx

ReputationRep:
    The cost per month depends on which membership you choose to have; check out: http://www.sportspark.co.uk/using.html.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore that website, it's aimed at the public rather than students.

If you're a student at UEA, you're automatically given free membership to the sportspark (all you need to do is activate your campus card at the sportspark reception so it lets you through the barriers, but that's free of charge and takes about 30 seconds). Everything then works on a pay as you go basis, and things such as swimming and gym cos £1.50 for an offpeak session (which is the whole of the day apart from earlier than 8am and between 4.20pm-8pm ish). If you want to use the gym, you will need to have an induction (for legal reasons), which costs you a one off £6, and then you pay the £1.50 for each session. Hiring a court for squash/badminton etc costs around £2.50 I think.

If you're a member of a university sports club eg swimming, then you will pay the swimming club membership fee, but you'll have free access to the pool at training times (so if you train 5 times a week, it's not long before you make your money back on the £20 membership fee!). The only thing is, to be a member of a university sports club, you have to be a member of the UEA sports association which was £25 last year but I think they're hiking it up again, so it's nlt too cheap!

ReputationRep:
    Peak (4:20pm - 8:45pm) is £4
    Off-Peak (Any other time than the above) is £1.50

ReputationRep:
    these costs are what?? daily?? is there an annual membership or a monthy membership??

ReputationRep:
    Every time you go.

Yes, you can pay for membership if you also wanted aswell but it's probably more economical to do the 'pay as you go' option...unless you're a fanatical fitness freak that will make use of your membership to the fullest without fail.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, right. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    so whats a years membership cost? Would you get a discount for being in the basketball soc considering they will use the sportspark?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sportspark.co.uk/welcome.html

I don't think you get any preferential treatment for being on a sports team as far as i know. You have to book in advance like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    this 1.50 is a daily payment for what? access to the gym? and is the 1.50 for a fixed period of time like an hour or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roy)
    this 1.50 is a daily payment for what? access to the gym? and is the 1.50 for a fixed period of time like an hour or something?
    I think its any of the facilities

ReputationRep:
    £1.50 is the Gym I think, it costs about £5 (less if you go at obscure times) to get a badminton court for 40mins (the 1 facility I actually use there)

Remeber to take your campus card up there at the start of term to get it validated, or you'll have to pay 50p to get past the barriers instead of swiping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roy)
    It's not a subscription, it's whenever you go. Once you're in you can spend as much time in the gym / pool as you like. They don't strap an electrical device to you in an attempt to monitor time spent using the facilities. You can also be cheeky and go 5mins before peak price comes into effect whilst paying the off-peak price in the hope to have a relatively empty gym. Although sometimes some smart arse has the same idea so it doesn't work all the time.

Don't ask me the swimming prices or the booking of courts, consult the website i have provided.

ReputationRep:
    alright.. sounds okay to me.. thanks gys,,

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much it would cost to do classes like aerobics, yoga etc?

ReputationRep:
    Aerobics is still on a pay as you go basis - you buy a bunch of tickets and each time you go to a session you use a ticket (that's what is used to be like anyway). Not sure about yoga sessions though.

As for the basketball question - if you join the basketball club I imagine it will cost you somewhere between £10-25 to join, and then you won't pay anything to get onto the courts when you train with the club. However if you want to go and practise on your own, when it's not specifically a club training session, you'll have to pay to hire the court.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the £10-£25 actually insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's the membership fee for the particular club you join, so I guess some of it is insurance.

I forgot to mention, if you join a university sports club, there's an extra UEA Sports Association membership charge (on top of the club membership fee) that's about £25 but that's only applicable if you join a sports club. You don't need to join it if you only plan on using the sports centre in your own leisure time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Tue, 12 Mar '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.