The Student Room Group

Biomed to medicine...is it possible?

I have just sat my AS exams and have started the UCAS application....i don't know if my grades will allow me to do Medicine in uni...so I was wondering if it possible to do a Bio-Medical Science degree and then do Medicine after that.
Reply 1
It is possible but competition ratios for graduate medicine are around 60:1 whereas for undergrad this is at worst 15:1 at best 4:1 so it's not a great option if you can avoid it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It is achievable if you ace the entrance exams (meet the GAMSAT/UKCAT cutoffs) depending on the route you choose. As quoted above, the graduate route is far more competitive and you need to research what different universities require from you. Some unis may still want you to have a good A level Chemistry grade/good GCSEs when applying with a degree already under your belt.
Original post by sehrish_akhtar
I have just sat my AS exams and have started the UCAS application....i don't know if my grades will allow me to do Medicine in uni...so I was wondering if it possible to do a Bio-Medical Science degree and then do Medicine after that.

Yeah, you definitely can. I've just finished my Biomedical Science degree and have met my offer for Medicine. Going to be starting this September.
You just have to work really hard. It will be difficult, but if you want it that bad you'll make it.
Getting a top Biomed degree is very difficult. As noted above! And then on top of that, competition for graduate entry is more fierce because it's more people for fewer places.

It's certainly easier to get good A Levels, if that is still an option.
Doable, but you need to put some more work in before you apply as a graduate.

Get a 2:1 at least, do your research where you want to go (do not rely on GEPs, there are 5 year courses that will take you), do some more voluntary/work experience before you apply.
and win the lottery?
Original post by arcl
Doable, but you need to put some more work in before you apply as a graduate.

Get a 2:1 at least, do your research where you want to go (do not rely on GEPs, there are 5 year courses that will take you), do some more voluntary/work experience before you apply.

What volunteering work is required, i'm currently volunteering at Cancer Research UK the charity shop. Is that enough or should i do more?
Original post by emily-fields
Yeah, you definitely can. I've just finished my Biomedical Science degree and have met my offer for Medicine. Going to be starting this September.
You just have to work really hard. It will be difficult, but if you want it that bad you'll make it.

Thank you, may i ask what you got in your AS/A2
Original post by ChemistryBud
and win the lottery?

If only :smile:
I'd say so...a degree is worth more than A Levels surely? (I mean applying for a bachelors in medicine and not graduate medicine after biomed) But you'd have to have excellent UKCAT + A-Levels on top.
Thank you, may i ask what you got in your AS/A2

Sorry, I'm Scottish so didn't do those exams.
What volunteering work is required, i'm currently volunteering at Cancer Research UK the charity shop. Is that enough or should i do more?

I would say you would need to do more. Anecdotally, I don't know any graduate entry medic who hasn't done some hospital/GP work experience, if not actually had a job.

You're going into this as someone supposedly older and wiser, you'll need to demonstrate you understand what happens and explain why you want to change to medicine. It's going to be less forgiving than when you were 18/19.
Reply 13
Hi ! I'm new here ! I got a similar question like biomes to medic and I'm not sure where to ask the question...Can I ask it here ??
Original post by arcl
I would say you would need to do more. Anecdotally, I don't know any graduate entry medic who hasn't done some hospital/GP work experience, if not actually had a job.

You're going into this as someone supposedly older and wiser, you'll need to demonstrate you understand what happens and explain why you want to change to medicine. It's going to be less forgiving than when you were 18/19.

Okay..Thank You, so if i do apply to postgraduate medicine after my undergraduate degree i'll be able to do the volunteering for that during my undergraduate course.
Original post by emily-fields
Sorry, I'm Scottish so didn't do those exams.

Okay, that's fine :smile::smile:
Original post by Jialat99
Hi ! I'm new here ! I got a similar question like biomes to medic and I'm not sure where to ask the question...Can I ask it here ??

Sure, I don't mind..seeing as we have similar career ideas your question could benefit me and vise versa....so ask away :smile::smile::smile:
You can apply to medicine abroad instead? Pm me if u have any questions
Original post by em.d_4
It is possible but competition ratios for graduate medicine are around 60:1 whereas for undergrad this is at worst 15:1 at best 4:1 so it's not a great option if you can avoid it

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that high! If you have a high enough UKCAT/GAMSAT score to be called for interview, and your application is good enough, you are generally looking at a 3:1 ratio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending