Australia and New Zealand - how long?

Watch
moominman2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,

I finish Uni next year (fingers crossed) and before I get a job and settle down a bit, I'd like to travel with my girlfriend.

We've been considering places such as Aus and NZ, and wondered how much time is enough to do them both?

Also, flights I've found online are about the same price or cheaper even when doing multiple stops to say...Hong Kong, rather than going direct to NZ. Where should we consider buying flights? Online or a shop?

Tbh, we'd probably only be looking at a month due to the cost and my girlfriend isn't keen on doing any longer. But I'm not convinced this is enough time...?

Also how much would we be looking at for spending money? My girlfriend has family in NZ, so that should help a lot with accommodation!

Cheers in advance.
Luke
alejandro_o
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How long is a piece of string? If you really wanted to "do" Australia and New Zealand, and see everything, you could spend a year, it depends on what you want to do. Australia is considerably larger than Europe, remember. Same goes for spending money, it depends what you want to do.
moominman2
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info on flights. I'll look into those airlines for internal flights.

I understand that it's all based on what the person wants to do, but I'm asking in general whether a month spent in both places in total is really enough, or whether we'll barely be able to see or experience anything.

Cheers.
SierraFoxtrot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've visited Australia a few times (my family's from there)

In terms of what we've seen and done, we went up to Queensland and saw the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef (both definitely worth a look) - I don't think we spent more than a few days in Queensland (flew up there from Melbourne, then came back), so it is doable. You can do the Great Barrier Reef in a day (ferry out to it, snorkelling/scuba diving in the afternoon, ferry back in the evening), and we only spent a day in the Daintree and felt we had had a pretty good time.

On a different holiday we also saw Uluru (Ayres Rock) and Alice Springs (and some of the other attractions in the central-Australia region), you could have a good look round there in a week if you gave it a really good shot : ) I'd recommend watching the sunrise over Ayres Rock, that's pretty cool

I'd also recommend seeing Melbourne and Sydney. Definitely climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge if you can, it's good fun and only takes up a few hours (by the time you have the briefing and do the climb etc.)

And then leave a couple of days free to do shopping or the like. So (without knowing too much regarding flights to various places within Australia) you could do that all in 2-3 weeks if you really gave it a good shot [...and left out time to relax : P ]

Additionally, camping out in the bush is great fun too (and it doesn't cost much)

I don't really know about New Zealand as I've never been there.

In terms of spending money, Australia is super expensive right now as the $AUD is really strong, so exchange rates would be worth looking up before you go so you have a realistic idea of how much things are likely to cost.

I hope this is useful to you

Have a great trip!
moominman2
Rep:
?
Thanks for the informative reply!

I'll definitely look into what you've mentioned...very helpful.

Cheers
SierraFoxtrot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by moominman2)
Thanks for the informative reply!

I'll definitely look into what you've mentioned...very helpful.

Cheers
No worries.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful regarding New Zealand

I hope you have a great time! : )
alejandro_o
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I'd leave at least a week for the South Island of New Zealand, it's probably my favourite place I've been. I'd spend probably at least 3-4 days minimum around Queenstown/Wanaka, and also go to Milford Sound. There's a lot of really beautiful stuff in the South Island, I doubt you'd get bored in 1-2 weeks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads