The Student Room Group

Indecision over A-Level choices!!

My God I seem to be having some kind of existential crisis. I'm predicting good GCSE grades (whether or not I achieve them is another thing) and I've already chosen my A-Levels: English Literature, History, Classics and Drama, with a non-examined extension subject of Film Studies.

I really enjoyed English Literature this year, but my old teacher came back from maternity leave and it has been an absolute nightmare! She grades my work so harshly, I've gone from an A*/A to B/C's in classwork, and I've been really struggling and hating English. Unfortunately, i found out I will have this teacher next year and everyone has let me know how time consuming and demanding English. I've been pretty much convinced to change my English Litearture A-Level to Biology...but I'm really scared if I take Biology that I won't do very well in it, everyone says that you need a very good memory to remember all the syllabus and I have a notorious "sieve like" memory.

So my question is to all the people who have taken English Literature and Biology as A-Levels and the EPQ (or Film Stuides - not as a qualification just as an extension hobby thing...), is the EPQ worth it? How much work load is it? When did you start doing it? Is English Literature as time consuming as some people make out and how hard is it really to learn all of the Bio syllabuses?

Thank-you in advance, I'm going to book an appointment with the deputy head to change my choices...I just don't know what too! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia

So my question is to all the people who have taken English Literature and Biology as A-Levels and the EPQ (or Film Stuides - not as a qualification just as an extension hobby thing...), is the EPQ worth it? How much work load is it? When did you start doing it? Is English Literature as time consuming as some people make out and how hard is it really to learn all of the Bio syllabuses?

Thank-you in advance, I'm going to book an appointment with the deputy head to change my choices...I just don't know what too! :smile:

I only do EPQ from your selection of subjects, but its a fairly good qualification. You get to decide your own title and write a 5000/6000 word dissertation on it.

Our school introduces it to students who want to take it during January ish, so that they are aware of it before completing a proposal like form to say what they want their title / product to be. From then we kind of ignored the teacher, but came back to him after our AS exams to talk about what we should do during summer. Most schools 'prefer' you to do the main dissertation/project bit during summer, so when you come back theres just a bit of tedious paperwork and a presentation to do - nothing super difficult.

Work load is surprisingly small if you finish the dissertation or at least an initial draft of it during summer. Most uni's like the qualification as it provides a basis for university like skills. Though i think only Southampton make official alternative entry requirements if you present an EPQ on your ucas, usually downgrade your entry requirement by a grade if you get an A. But most places say a good epq grade can help your cause if you miss out on your entry requirement.
Reply 2
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
My God I seem to be having some kind of existential crisis. I'm predicting good GCSE grades (whether or not I achieve them is another thing) and I've already chosen my A-Levels: English Literature, History, Classics and Drama, with a non-examined extension subject of Film Studies.

I really enjoyed English Literature this year, but my old teacher came back from maternity leave and it has been an absolute nightmare! She grades my work so harshly, I've gone from an A*/A to B/C's in classwork, and I've been really struggling and hating English. Unfortunately, i found out I will have this teacher next year and everyone has let me know how time consuming and demanding English. I've been pretty much convinced to change my English Litearture A-Level to Biology...but I'm really scared if I take Biology that I won't do very well in it, everyone says that you need a very good memory to remember all the syllabus and I have a notorious "sieve like" memory.

English lit isn't what you call time consuming, it's just like any subject really. Any kind of homework you get would be something like essays and wider reading. You'll be expected to read a lot and have a wide range knowledge of different genres and historical context of literature, but your teachers won't throw you in the deep end. They'll guide you into it.

I think the most important thing is to consider if you enjoy english or not. I took english for A level and just finished my A2 exam for it, and while it was difficult, I still enjoyed it and have valued experiences which I can take to university.

I did know a girl who took english and who didn't like it, and she just hated it. And another girl dropped out in the first week because she heard that we were told we had to learn 70 odd poems for the AS exam.

So, to conclude, do it because you like it. Don't think about which has the highest workload and stuff like that because all A levels will require a lot of work.

Take care! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest