Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing the exam tar? Gd luck to everyone! post some question and we can all help each other revise but here are some random ones that could come up. The number in brackets, (3), indicates how many marks the question is worth! Good luck and i will try my best to mark them (I have the answers)

1.Explain the factors regarding the construction of power stations, non-renewable and renewable. (4)

2. In which direction do longitudinal waves travel? (1)

3. Why can you see a firework before you hear the bang? (1)

4. Describe how a coal-fired power station generates electricity. (4)

5. State two ways the output from the generator is changed by the transformer. (2)

6. What property of a sound wave determines the pitch of the sound? (1)

7. What property of a sound wave determines the loudness of the sound? (1)

8. Submarines use echoes to determine the depth of water under the submarine. What is an echo? (1)

9. What is the Doppler effect? (2)

10. What is specific heat capacity (2)

After the GCSE everyone let me know how you all did!! Ill do an unofficial mark scheme so you guys can all compare and see what you got wrong or right!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladder)
    Anyone else doing the exam tar? Gd luck to everyone! post some question and we can all help each other revise but here are some random ones that could come up. The number in brackets, (3), indicates how many marks the question is worth! Good luck and i will try my best to mark them (I have the answers)

Spoiler:
    Show

1.Explain the factors regarding the construction of power stations, non-renewable and renewable. (4)

cba with long ethical/environment questions

2. In which direction do longitudinal waves travel? (1)

parallel to direction of energy transfer

3. Why can you see a firework before you hear the bang? (1)

light travels faster than sound

4. Describe how a coal-fired power station generates electricity. (4)

coal is burnt to heat water, which produces high pressure steam and drives a turbine which is used to spin a generator and create electricity

5. State two ways the output from the generator is changed by the transformer. (2)

higher voltage
    lower current

6. What property of a sound wave determines the pitch of the sound? (1)

frequency

7. What property of a sound wave determines the loudness of the sound? (1)

amplitude

8. Submarines use echoes to determine the depth of water under the submarine. What is an echo? (1)

reflected sound wave

9. What is the Doppler effect? (2)

change in perceived frequency of a wave as it is moving away/towards you

10. What is specific heat capacity (2)

amount of energy required to heat 1kg of a substance by 1°C

After the GCSE everyone let me know how you all did!! Ill do an unofficial mark scheme so you guys can all compare and see what you got wrong or right!!!

^^

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1. Cost of building and decommissioning; whether it is carbon-neutral (environmentally-friendly) or not; cost/scarcity of fuel and whether or not the location is suitable for the type of power station (i.e. geothermal power stations can be built in few locations).

2. In the same direction as energy transfer.

3. The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.

4. Coal is burnt to release thermal energy (from stored chemical energy). This thermal energy is used to heat water to make it steam, which is used to drive turbines, which in turn drive a generator.

5. The voltage is stepped up and the current is stepped down.

6. Frequency.

7. Amplitude.

8. The reflection of a sound.

9. It describes how the wavelength of a wave increases as it moves away from you, and its frequency decreases.

10. The amount of energy needed to raise 1 kilogram of a certain material by 1 degrees Celsius.

ReputationRep:

The factors addressed by non-renewable power stations are predominantly initial costs/decommissioning and the running costs. Reliability isn't much of an issue as a non-renewable power station such as a nuclear station usually has enough fuel to last years and thus we don't have to worry about 'blips' in the energy output based on the environment or weather. To elaborate: the initial costs when it regards power stations usually follows the rule that the bigger it is, the more it'll cost due to engineering and safety regulations, the running costs will also be expensive due to the cost of fuel and thus more expensive than renewable power stations and the decommissioning can take much longer for such stations as nuclear stations compared to solar panels in the ground, thus increasing the cost at the expense of more energy input.

Renewable energy are predominantly location, reliability and running costs. Location is vital as a solar panel will be no good in a cloudy location, the water in the panels need to absorb enough energy from the sun's radiation to make a higher energy output than input, this makes it unreliable as some days may be cloudy and others may be sunny: leading to an uncertainty in energy production. In addition, running costs also plays a role in this because if there's more energy input than output, they may not be able to pay for maintenance on the solar panels and thus they've lost a higher amount of money in the long run, of course, not as much as it would cost a non-renewable station but the point still stands.

In which direction do longitudinal waves travel? (1)

The oscillations of longitudinal waves are parallel to the direction of energy transfer.

Why can you see a firework before you hear the bang? (1)

Light is a transverse wave and therefore electromagnetic, where as sound is longitudinal and therefore not as quick as light.

Describe how a coal-fired power station generates electricity. (4)

Not a clue.

State two ways the output from the generator is changed by the transformer. (2)
    A transformer is used to increase or decrease the voltage in an electrical supply. It can therefore alter the energy output via changing the energy input (wasn't sure on this one)

What property of a sound wave determines the pitch of the sound?
    Frequency

What property of a sound wave determines the loudness of the sound? (1)
    Amplitude.

Submarines use echoes to determine the depth of water under the submarine. What is an echo? (1)
    Sound waves that have been or are being reflected.

What is the Doppler effect? (2)
    As an object emitting sound waves approaches you, the frequency increases but the wavelength decreases. If an object is driving away from you, its frequency decreases but the wavelength increases.

What is specific heat capacity (2)
    The amount of energy (joules) to increase a 1kg substances temp by 1*c
    Energy transferred = mass x specific heat capacity x temp difference

How'd I do >: )?

ReputationRep:
    Curses, I was too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    ^^
    spoiler!:

1. Yh i hate them too ‘__’ screwed f it comes up tho
    2. Full Marks
    3. Full Marks
    4. All the right points however it would be favourable to the exam board to say that the generator turns kinetic energy into electrical. However full marks
    5. Full Marks
    6. The amplitude is the ‘height’ as such of the wave. This determines the volume of the sound. Pitch is determined by the wave length, how close together the lines are.
    7. Amplitude is the loudness
    8. Full Marks
    9. Full Marks
    10. Full Marks

Just got your Waves wrong! You taking it tmr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    6) Amplitude does NOT dictate a sound wave's pitch.

7) Frequency does NOT dictate a sound wave's loudness.

sigh -_-
    soz, i thought i put them the other way round but apparently not

ReputationRep:
    spoiler!:

1. Yh i hate them too ‘__’ screwed f it comes up tho
    2. Full Marks
    3. Full Marks
    4. All the right points however it would be favourable to the exam board to say that the generator turns kinetic energy into electrical. However full marks
    5. Full Marks
    6. The amplitude is the ‘height’ as such of the wave. This determines the volume of the sound. Pitch is determined by the wave length, how close together the lines are.
    7. Amplitude is the loudness
    8. Full Marks
    9. Full Marks
    10. Full Marks

Just got your Waves wrong! You taking it tmr?
    that was a typo

yep

ReputationRep:
    Need help on this question: Describe the different amounts of energy in solids, liquids and gases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magistl)

Describe how a coal-fired power station generates electricity. (4)

Not a clue.

State two ways the output from the generator is changed by the transformer. (2)
    A transformer is used to increase or decrease the voltage in an electrical supply. It can therefore alter the energy output via changing the energy input (wasn't sure on this one)

You did very well You use the correct words and it sounds like your knowledge is a little beyond GCSE which is great but remember the examiner might not be a Physics teacher (usually is- doesn't have to be) and if what you have said is right sometimes a usual teacher (e.g. english) may not understand what you are saying! However i think you'll be fine

1. Heat is created
    Before the coal is burned, it is pulverized to the fineness of talcum powder. It is then mixed with hot air and blown into thefirebox of the boiler. Burning in suspension, the coal/air mixture provides the most complete combustion and maximum heat possible.

2. Water turns to steam
    Highly purified water, pumped through pipes inside the boiler, is turned into steam by the heat. The steam reaches temperatures of up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit and pressures up to 3,500 pounds per square inch, and is piped to the turbine.

3. Steam turns the turbine
    The enormous pressure of the steam pushing against a series of giant turbine blades turns the turbine shaft. The turbine shaft is connected to the shaft of the generator, where magnets spin within wire coils to produce electricity.

4. Steam turns back into water
    After doing its work in the turbine, the steam is drawn into a condenser, a large chamber in the basement of the power plant. In this important step, millions of gallons of cool water from a nearby source (such as a river or lake) are pumped through a network of tubes running through the condenser. The cool water in the tubes converts the steam back into water that can be used over and over again in the plant.

The cooling water is returned to its source without any contamination, and the steam water is returned to the boiler to repeat the cycle.

Obviously that maybe be simplified for the exam

You just needed to say that it can lower the current and raise the voltage! one for each mark. It does this so that the electricity can be transported safely without burning up the wires or creating forest fire in a storm ect...

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What is the use of solar panels containing water?

Is it just provide hot water as the solar panels absorb thermal energy which immediately heats the water??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrVirtuoso)
    Spoiler:
    Show

1. Cost of building and decommissioning; whether it is carbon-neutral (environmentally-friendly) or not; cost/scarcity of fuel and whether or not the location is suitable for the type of power station (i.e. geothermal power stations can be built in few locations).

2. In the same direction as energy transfer.

3. The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.

4. Coal is burnt to release thermal energy (from stored chemical energy). This thermal energy is used to heat water to make it steam, which is used to drive turbines, which in turn drive a generator.

5. The voltage is stepped up and the current is stepped down.

6. Frequency.

7. Amplitude.

8. The reflection of a sound.

9. It describes how the wavelength of a wave increases as it moves away from you, and its frequency decreases.

10. The amount of energy needed to raise 1 kilogram of a certain material by 1 degrees Celsius.
    Yes this was all correct! In some places a little detail was lacking but i assume you would put this in the exam and this was just in note form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    It is done to reduce energy loss.
    I didn't know that! thank you !

ReputationRep:
    You did very well You use the correct words and it sounds like your knowledge is a little beyond GCSE which is great but remember the examiner might not be a Physics teacher (usually is- doesn't have to be) and if what you have said is right sometimes a usual teacher (e.g. english) may not understand what you are saying! However i think you'll be fine

1. Heat is created
    Before the coal is burned, it is pulverized to the fineness of talcum powder. It is then mixed with hot air and blown into thefirebox of the boiler. Burning in suspension, the coal/air mixture provides the most complete combustion and maximum heat possible.

2. Water turns to steam
    Highly purified water, pumped through pipes inside the boiler, is turned into steam by the heat. The steam reaches temperatures of up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit and pressures up to 3,500 pounds per square inch, and is piped to the turbine.

3. Steam turns the turbine
    The enormous pressure of the steam pushing against a series of giant turbine blades turns the turbine shaft. The turbine shaft is connected to the shaft of the generator, where magnets spin within wire coils to produce electricity.

4. Steam turns back into water
    After doing its work in the turbine, the steam is drawn into a condenser, a large chamber in the basement of the power plant. In this important step, millions of gallons of cool water from a nearby source (such as a river or lake) are pumped through a network of tubes running through the condenser. The cool water in the tubes converts the steam back into water that can be used over and over again in the plant.

The cooling water is returned to its source without any contamination, and the steam water is returned to the boiler to repeat the cycle.

Obviously that maybe be simplified for the exam

You just needed to say that it can lower the current and raise the voltage! one for each mark. It does this so that the electricity can be transported safely without burning up the wires or creating forest fire in a storm ect...

Good luck!
    Ooh, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excuse Me!)
    What is the use of solar panels containing water?

Is it just provide hot water as the solar panels absorb thermal energy which immediately heats the water??
    Also to add is that they usually make the panels dark and the water tubes to because black is a good conductor of heat (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and that the bottom of the solar panel is silver to reflect any unabsorbed heat back into the pipe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magistl)
    Ooh, thanks.
    welcome make sure you take into account what AlphaNick said about it being done to reduce energy loss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    that was a typo

yep
    well i guess you'll pass tmr then!

ReputationRep:
    welcome make sure you take into account what AlphaNick said about it being done to reduce energy loss!
    Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excuse Me!)
    Need help on this question: Describe the different amounts of energy in solids, liquids and gases
    It is important to note here that particles NEVER stop vibrating ever so slightly.

Solids have the least energy because all the particles are tightly packed together and this doesn't allow for much vibration of the particles. As soon as you heat a solid this adds more energy to it thus making the particles vibrate more. Their bonds loosen and they begin to flow more freely, sliding over each other rather than a regular lattice structure. This is how liquids are formed. Liquids have more energy than solids. However if you add more energy to liquids the particles vibrate even more and eventually escape the bonds and become a free gas. They may go wherever diffusion takes them. gasses have a high amount of energy, and solids a low amount.

Hope that helped?

ReputationRep:
    Just to let everyone know that i have been corrected that an english teacher wouldn't mark a Physics paper because the subject is too far off. Physics papers will only be marked by other science teachers (biology or chemistry) and most of the time a Physics teacher

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.