Geography and Politics / IR

Watch this thread
Currently Unsure
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there, was wondering if anyone was taking these courses?

Think it is done at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sussex, SOAS, Liverpool and Newcastle (through combined subjects)

What do people think as these together rather than say an international development degree?

cheers
RoryRorrzShikari
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Well my degree is MA (Hons) Geography at Aberdeen, but I've studied politics and IR throughout first and second year. The University of Aberdeen does offer it as a joint honours program too. I recently did a job analysis report on International Development and whether a single honours geography degree was worthwhile. Most NGO's and charities count a degree in economics, geography, politics and sociology as 'relevant'. Experience is a lot more important than a degree. I interviewed an employee at 'Action Against Hunger' who told me that a degree is recommended but at least 6 months work experience is necessary. So personally I would say that a geography/IR degree is just as good as one in International Development.

Check the careers group, University of London for tips. I found that their website was excellent

I also have a friend studying geography/politics at Glasgow Uni and she loves it.

I would also say, from the courses which I have studied, IR seemed a lot more relevant to international development than politics did.

I hope that some of this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed