The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Wooooot Aidans rocks so much more!!!!!!! The fact that aidans wasnt far off making the same amount of money in the bar during last yr as cuths, despite the fact that cuths are open twice as long says a lot!!!

Oh and yea i think i came second in the "you went overboard during freshers week" meter; someone i know spend £480! dont expect to spend less than £100 though (if you drink) as you're out every night
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
ChrisH2107
Don't be sorry, I'm neutral and can say I have for a while been of the impression that Cuths rocks, certainly more than Aidan's :p:

:biggrin: Well said sir.

It's weird though....you tend to hear about things in all the colleges but Aidan's and Grey... :confused: Or is it just me that thinks that...?
Reply 42
i think £100 would probably be about average for freshers week - you could do it for less considering beer is £1.40 for most pints, if you bought all your fancy dress before you came, didnt go to the freshers ball (seriously expensive for ticket and drinks!) and didnt buy much stuff in the first week for your room or anything! £400 is certainly no where near the typical amount! si - did you buy everyone in the bar a drink apart from me?! how rude! :P
Reply 43
Rach:)
It's weird though....you tend to hear about things in all the colleges but Aidan's and Grey... :confused: Or is it just me that thinks that...?

No, I've heard alot about Aidan's. Though I suppose it does help that I'm going there :P
ScaryBabyGuy
Cuths rocks, certainly more than Aidan's

Ooh, you trouble starter you! :wink:
I'm quite crafty when it comes to spending money, even when out drinking, but I shall indeed have about £100 ready in my ATM account for the week, as you guys have all done it and that seems to be the usual.
For the ball or whatever, the formal thing, I need to know how formal it's going to be, i mean is everyone going to be in like just nice pantsd and tops or nice skirts or tops or do people go full out? Because I'm actually a balldress over with me and it's like a corset on top and really formal, I mean I wore it to some balls in Vienna and stuff....
Summat like that is good for proper balls and stuff but I wouldn't wear it just to your average formal.
but what about the fresher's formal which apparently is a black tie event?
The freshers formal? Is that the first formal in freshers week? I guess you COULD wear it for that, just see what everyone else is wearing for it and go with the flow. If its a proper ball gown then it might be a bit OTT, but if its just a nice dress then go for it.
wanna see a pic?
Reply 49
I'm just wearing a dress i wore for my prom when i left sixth form
Reply 50
As a general rule....dresses or skirt and a top for formals and ball gowns only for balls and black tie events.
Okay, thanks Rachel. :biggrin:
yeah what rachel said! Sorry, been out for mums birthday.
Reply 53
to be fair you can get away with pretty much anything at the freshers formal - at least half the girls last year were wearing ball dresses because nobody really knows what to expect. but as rachel said, skirt+top or cocktail dress is the norm after that
Reply 54
Does she mean the fresher's formal in college or the fresher's ball though....?
there's more than one? no idea really, but it was in our (aidan's freshers" handbook so...
Reply 56
It was probably fresher's formal then (is it on the first evening?) in which case its definitley just skirt/trousers and top or cocktail dress. Though noone really wore a dress to ours last year because noone had been to one before or knew what to expect.
Reply 57
you mean the fresher formal - an aidan's event which is just a meal (with wine), followed usually by an evening in the bar (possibly kareokee) and possibly by going out after

freshers ball is an actually ball, a university event, with people from all the colleges (held somewhere in the surrounding area of durham) - that is tux/ball dress event. its also very expensive for what it is so not that many people seem to go!
Reply 58
ooo good, so a top and skirt event, that's good.

Could someone give me a rough guide of what the room contents are e.g. do we get a desk lamp e.t.c.?

Also, what sort of crokery and food are people bringing. I'd assumed that as Aidans is fully catered, we wouldn't need that sort of stuff but i get the impression from other threads that we do. Do people just bring one of each - mug, plate etc and some snack type foods?

Thanks, this packing and planning lark is driving me nuts
Reply 59
ghetto has a desk lamp, some have a kettle (although whether you'd want to use it! its a bit dodgy!), a desk, bookcase, a shelf, a bed, sink and cupboards underneath and above, wardrobe, little coffee table type thing as a bedside table possibly (mine did although i don't remember seeing that in everyone elses), and an armchair in most.

and bringing one of everything is a good idea!

Latest