The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is weed illegal, but alcohol and cigarettes are not?

Why is weed illegal, but alcohol and cigarettes are not?

Scroll to see replies

because the latter two are taxed.
Original post by wartortle
because the latter two are taxed.

Why can't weed be taxed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weed is a lot worse out of the two. It messes people up, I saw what it did to my brother, before he smoked weed he was doing well in school, after a few months of taking weed he was a nightmare, lazy, always in trouble, sleeping until 3pm. There is a reason why it is illegal and that's because it destroys lives and causes mental illness. Not really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Wilfred Little
Weed is a lot worse out of the two. It messes people up, I saw what it did to my brother, before he smoked weed he was doing well in school, after a few months of taking weed he was a nightmare, lazy, always in trouble, sleeping until 3pm. There is a reason why it is illegal and that's because it destroys lives and causes mental illness. Not really.

Prove it.

This isn't an "I smoke weed so am being overly defensive", this is an "I'm yet to see any definitive proof of this constantly repeated claim".
So many people are already addicted to alcohol and cigarettes that banning them would cause so many problems on a huge scale that the state doesn't want to have to deal with. For example, illegal and unregulated trading, poorly manufactured substances which are even more hazardous, withdrawal symptoms and subsequent NHS costs, outright rebellion from the public or getting voted out of power...

It's difficult to just ban them immediately. Although attempts are being made to gradually phase cigarettes out using taxes, age restrictions, advertising legislation, bans on where you can smoke etc. all becoming progressively more stringent over time.

Though I think that if the health effects of cigarettes were known about before they came into widespread use, they probably would have been made illegal quite quickly. Perhaps alcohol would have as well.
Original post by Wilfred Little

Right, so weed makes you lazy and disruptive. Whereas alcohol causes 8000 deaths a year, in the UK alone.

As above, I don't smoke weed but I do drink so it's not bias.
Historical reasons play a part. Alcohol has been ingrained in western culture for centuries and millennia. Cigarettes became entrenched when they too were introduced.

Weed has never seen that level of entrenchment in the west and thus, as it was not seen as a social norm and didn't have wide usage, it was a lot easier to enforce its outlaw status, both practically and politically/socially
Good point. Nicotine is addictive and so is alcohol. As is cannibus and dopamine, the chemical endorphin that transmits to the brain and causes euphoria and possibly an overdose or organ destructive addiction. So what is the difference? I do Criminal Justice, not making me an expert but always curious about stuff like this, and there have been discussions that

the system profits off of racial profiling and arresting juveniles and getting money for each cell occupied. Also it's easier to convict someone federally for weed if they have priors. Sad, sad corrupt world.
No good reason. Weed should be legal
Reply 10
Because weed is bad for you. On the other hand, alcohol is very good for you, and cigarettes are also really good for your health. Furthermore, alcohol tastes really delicious (better than any kind of juice or fizzy drink that ever existed) and cigarette smoke smells really lovely. We need to nurture an atmosphere of continued alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking, it's great for society.
Alcohol was prohibited and it and cigs are regulated, like legal age, restrictions, fines, I think I saw someone say they report ASBO's if they see someone smoking or flicking a cig. So that's showing that they are dangerous but the system and government can profit off keeping something illegal. It's just true.
Original post by Stinkum
Because weed is bad for you. On the other hand, alcohol is very good for you, and cigarettes are also really good for your health. Furthermore, alcohol tastes really delicious (better than any kind of juice or fizzy drink that ever existed) and cigarette smoke smells really lovely. We need to nurture an atmosphere of continued alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking, it's great for society.

This person is either winding up or a complete idiot. Either way, ignore this.
Reply 13
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
This person is either winding up or a complete idiot. Either way, ignore this.

Good detective work, Horatio. High five.
Reply 14
Cigarettes and alcohol are just tools used to keep the children of the working classes nice and retarded so they'll never know how they're being exploited. Weed is too much fun.
Original post by Per
Cigarettes and alcohol are just tools used to keep the children of the working classes nice and retarded so they'll never know how they're being exploited. Weed is too much fun.

Are you actually being serious? You better ****ing be.
Reply 16
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
Good point. Nicotine is addictive and so is alcohol. As is cannibus and dopamine, the chemical endorphin that transmits to the brain and causes euphoria and possibly an overdose or organ destructive addiction. So what is the difference? I do Criminal Justice, not making me an expert but always curious about stuff like this, and there have been discussions that

the system profits off of racial profiling and arresting juveniles and getting money for each cell occupied. Also it's easier to convict someone federally for weed if they have priors. Sad, sad corrupt world.

Woah wait the government get money for putting people in jail? :redface:
Reply 17
I'd say it's down to the simple fact that the government may find it hard to ensure that money is received from it use - seeing as it can be grown virtually anywhere. Not to mention its use as a painkiller. That would basically be free medication for those suffering from acute pain or any of the other things that the chemicals in weed relieve - there's quite a lot of medical uses of weed. Do you think the pharmaceutical industries which spend and receive billions each year on drugs would be happy? Yeah, me neither.
I don't smoke weed btw, I have just been able to witness its benefits. And just before a smart-ass says something like " weed causes lung cancer", that is down to the method of taking weed. Smoking anything increases the risk of lung cancer.
Original post by manchesterunited15
No good reason. Weed should be legal

It would if they could tax it :colone:
Reply 19
Original post by Stinkum
Good detective work, Horatio. High five.

I'm going to report you.. Are you scared?

Latest

Trending

Trending