The Student Room Group

Are black and white televisions making a comeback ?

You should try playing call of duty on one, it's bizarre and incredible.

Anyway, I can't help but feel a niche market might open up again for people curious about them.
People still have them as they have refused to change as technology evolves.
Reply 2
No.
I think not having a tv in your house is making a come back. Or at least I like to think so in my tv-less house :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Beatlemania
People still have them as they have refused to change as technology evolves.

I thought most people with a black and white TV kept it because the cost of a TV license for a B&W TV is much less than one for a colour TV.
Hipsters will probably like them, they can boast to people on Tumblr about how Retro they are.
Original post by Doomlar
I thought most people with a black and white TV kept it because the cost of a TV license for a B&W TV is much less than one for a colour TV.

Dunno, I saw someone on the tv once with black and white. He needed a transformer to keep it working, it was costing more than just a normal colour tv!
Original post by Doomlar

It is almost £100 less, but it really isn't many people who have them, only about 13k. Less convenient too and there are potentially other issues with running them.
My TV has a colour option. I can essentially make it black and wide, whilst still enjoying a glorious 1080p input.
The whole concept of television is about to disappear, soon it will be nothing more than just a large monitor which can be connected to a smartphone/tablet.
Original post by jameswhughes
The whole concept of television is about to disappear, soon it will be nothing more than just a large monitor which can be connected to a smartphone/tablet.

Doubt it, people have said that in the past about desktops, given tablets and laptops. Public places such as pubs will still get TVs. While viewership is down significantly compared to just a decade ago I still expect our children and quite possibly grandchildren will still get a TV (or very similar replacement tech) for family viewings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Jammy Duel
Doubt it, people have said that in the past about desktops, given tablets and laptops. Public places such as pubs will still get TVs. While viewership is down significantly compared to just a decade ago I still expect our children and quite possibly grandchildren will still get a TV (or very similar replacement tech) for family viewings

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue is that TVs are merging into computers. 'Smart TVs' are essentially computers with a TV receiver. As these become cheaper and replace the last-gen normal TVs I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that at some point in the near future there will only be Smart TVs.
Original post by pjm600
The issue is that TVs are merging into computers. 'Smart TVs' are essentially computers with a TV receiver. As these become cheaper and replace the last-gen normal TVs I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that at some point in the near future there will only be Smart TVs.

They aren't really Computers with TV, more TV with the internet. That would come under "similar replacement tech" since it is, in essence, the next stage of TV development.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was including Smart TV in my description, that's like a big smartphone/tablet on your wall. Traditional broadcast television which comes through an aerial could definitely go within a few years.
As said above, hipsters will like them. Kinda goes with the typewriter, record player and polaroid camera trends (not judging, I do like them). :tongue:
Original post by jameswhughes
I was including Smart TV in my description, that's like a big smartphone/tablet on your wall. Traditional broadcast television which comes through an aerial could definitely go within a few years.

Smart TVs are barely at all like tablets/smartphones though; if Smart TVs are not TVs then smartphones aren't phones. And there is no chance that it will go completely in the foreseeable future, there is not a good enough infrastructure for a replacement distribution method which would almost certainly be internet based.
Forget Call of Duty! I would love them to so I could buy a TV licence for £49 and watch Channel 4 News every evening at 7 o'clock and other quality British programmes where the substance and quality has been undermined by TV executives' obsession with style and the power of HD.

I don't know where to find one though - might put a notice in a nearby village post-office. There must be a few old timers around who have a workable black-and-white TV in their attic.

I think it's staggering how, despite the digital changeover, TV Licencing is still a 20th century organ and black-and-white licences are still on sale. Just how has it survived?! :biggrin:
Sometimes I set my TV to black & white mode and pretend I am in the olden days. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending