The Student Room Group

Help! opinions needed

Hi all, new to this so please bare with me...long story short, I'm looking to do a part time degree (work commitments) so will have to go the arduous route of the open university, or so I've read.

I want to do the course, not for a career, but I'm hoping one day maybe it could be a potential.

I've been on the open uni site and I'm simmering my choices down to a business studies degree with either law or international development. Or, I'm looking at an engineering degree.
I want it to be a eye opener degree and to learn as much as possible.

A little about myself, I am actually already a store manager and have been for 3 years, the hours are at least 45 a week, but I hold no other commitments, so I could carry down that route and maybe a business degree would excel me on the promotion ladder, or go the opposite route and do the engineering degree. I'm only 21 so I'm in no urgent rush, I just want to give myself the best start possible without quitting work.

I just want peoples opinions on what each degree is like and what you'd do in my position.
Im young and naive and would rather people who've been through it tell me how to avoid the disasterous.

Any help or opinions would be greatly vakued .

Thanks in advance
Dan
PS - sorry for the length of this message.
Original post by dannyr1337
Hi all, new to this so please bare with me...long story short, I'm looking to do a part time degree (work commitments) so will have to go the arduous route of the open university, or so I've read.

I want to do the course, not for a career, but I'm hoping one day maybe it could be a potential.

I've been on the open uni site and I'm simmering my choices down to a business studies degree with either law or international development. Or, I'm looking at an engineering degree.
I want it to be a eye opener degree and to learn as much as possible.

A little about myself, I am actually already a store manager and have been for 3 years, the hours are at least 45 a week, but I hold no other commitments, so I could carry down that route and maybe a business degree would excel me on the promotion ladder, or go the opposite route and do the engineering degree. I'm only 21 so I'm in no urgent rush, I just want to give myself the best start possible without quitting work.

I just want peoples opinions on what each degree is like and what you'd do in my position.
Im young and naive and would rather people who've been through it tell me how to avoid the disasterous.

Any help or opinions would be greatly vakued .

Thanks in advance
Dan
PS - sorry for the length of this message.

If you are the kind of person that can learn by distance learning, then I'd recommend the 'Open Degree' at Open University.

Within this degree you don't learn 'one' subject as per the 'normal' degrees in the UK. You can choose modules from a wide range of degree's including Law, Business, Accounting, Maths, Science, Sport Management etc. It's quite a popular option for those that want a degree, but who have no idea which area to complete a degree in.

As you don't want a degree 'for a career' this option would be good for you. Other than that, there are plenty of universities that have Business / Law combined, they are popular for those wanting to work in management and/or business.

The issue may be your qualifications for engineering. They are quite strict on the A Levels they require. If you don't have those, you could do an Access to Engineering course, which you'd have to fund yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending