shrn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I was wondering if there is anyone who has done/ is doing the EPQ (extended project qualification) in school?

Im currently on 15/40 for my grade and I really want to boost this up. Mostly in my 15 page document.
Was wondering if anyone has any good tips or stuff to add in to secure marks etc.

Thank you
Okkefac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I finished my EPQ around March time, and am working at 45/50 (I assume we're doing different boards if mine is out of 50 and yours out of 40, but that shouldn't matter).

Well, in your document you just have to talk about fine details in your project.

In ours we have three sections at first, one for the beginning, one for the middle, and one for the end to write a page about.

In the beginning one, talk about why you wanted to do your topic title, whether that was because it would help you with uni, with a job, or just fulfill a passion of yours.

Also make sure to just be honest if you've made mistakes. I talked a lot in my evaluation about how I started off way too slow, and in the end had to rush my writing within the last few weeks and how that put a strain on finishing my project in time.

If you changed your title, mention it (in either the midproject review or end project review, if you changed it after midway through your EPQ) and explain WHY you changed it, not enough research for the original, difficult to write about exactly as there were tricky details, etc.
If you didn't change your title, also mention it, and mention how it was successful.

The evaluation you can talk a lot about how your EPQ went, make sure to mention everything, mention every bad thing that has happened during your EPQ process progress wise (e.g lack of resources for a particular topic, running out of time, etc) and explain how you went through tackling these, if you did.
Also mention everything you thought you did well, and explain why these things were beneficial to your project.
Mention why you wanted to do the project, was it to help university? Mention it! Also mention the skills you've gained, research, writing, project work, etc, and explain why these will help you in the future.
Suggest how you would've tackled the EPQ differently, had you done it again, and explain how these changes would've improved it.
shrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Okkefac)
I finished my EPQ around March time, and am working at 45/50 (I assume we're doing different boards if mine is out of 50 and yours out of 40, but that shouldn't matter).

Well, in your document you just have to talk about fine details in your project.

In ours we have three sections at first, one for the beginning, one for the middle, and one for the end to write a page about.

In the beginning one, talk about why you wanted to do your topic title, whether that was because it would help you with uni, with a job, or just fulfill a passion of yours.

Also make sure to just be honest if you've made mistakes. I talked a lot in my evaluation about how I started off way too slow, and in the end had to rush my writing within the last few weeks and how that put a strain on finishing my project in time.

If you changed your title, mention it (in either the midproject review or end project review, if you changed it after midway through your EPQ) and explain WHY you changed it, not enough research for the original, difficult to write about exactly as there were tricky details, etc.
If you didn't change your title, also mention it, and mention how it was successful.

The evaluation you can talk a lot about how your EPQ went, make sure to mention everything, mention every bad thing that has happened during your EPQ process progress wise (e.g lack of resources for a particular topic, running out of time, etc) and explain how you went through tackling these, if you did.
Also mention everything you thought you did well, and explain why these things were beneficial to your project.
Mention why you wanted to do the project, was it to help university? Mention it! Also mention the skills you've gained, research, writing, project work, etc, and explain why these will help you in the future.
Suggest how you would've tackled the EPQ differently, had you done it again, and explain how these changes would've improved it.
Thank you for the response, actually we may be doing it in the same exam board. I just haven't done my presentation part yet thats why i put it out of /40. It will all be handed in in 2 weeks time so I have a lot to work on.

Is the 15 page doc the heaviest marking part would you say? If I just make it full with detail it could gain me a grade or two higher then what Im at now?
Okkefac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shrn)
Thank you for the response, actually we may be doing it in the same exam board. I just haven't done my presentation part yet thats why i put it out of /40. It will all be handed in in 2 weeks time so I have a lot to work on.

Is the 15 page doc the heaviest marking part would you say? If I just make it full with detail it could gain me a grade or two higher then what Im at now?
You're welcome. And I've done AQA, do you know your board?
If it helps I did the whole last part of my log book within a week before handing it in, and I wrote my presentation the last 2-3 days before (although I knew what to talk about a few weeks in advance).

I'd say the 15 page doc and the presentation are both heavy marking parts, the actual EPQ I doubt is that important, but yeah the log book is quite important in the marking, but so is the presentation. If you add lots of detail and have a good presentation you can easily gain multiple grades, since not much else (if anything else) is marked and considered.
shrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Okkefac)
You're welcome. And I've done AQA, do you know your board?
If it helps I did the whole last part of my log book within a week before handing it in, and I wrote my presentation the last 2-3 days before (although I knew what to talk about a few weeks in advance).

I'd say the 15 page doc and the presentation are both heavy marking parts, the actual EPQ I doubt is that important, but yeah the log book is quite important in the marking, but so is the presentation. If you add lots of detail and have a good presentation you can easily gain multiple grades, since not much else (if anything else) is marked and considered.
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! that actually gave me such a huge motivation just now. I feel that I am placed in a similar position as you with finishing everything in the last week and well as presentation.

I think Im going to work harder on my 15 page dog/ log book now to gain marks there and do a killer presenation
Okkefac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shrn)
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! that actually gave me such a huge motivation just now. I feel that I am placed in a similar position as you with finishing everything in the last week and well as presentation.

I think Im going to work harder on my 15 page dog/ log book now to gain marks there and do a killer presenation
Again you're welcome Yeah I was kind of pushed 'till last minute, but that didn't phase me, I just mentioned in my presentation how awful my timing skills were (I started writing the EPQ within the last month before handing it in or so) and how if I did it again I'd improve them.

If you add the right amount of detail, and analyse how well you think you've done, etc, then you should be fine For presentation help look on youtube at EPQ presentations and write down like what they talked about, that'll help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
30.97%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.03%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.45%

Watched Threads