The Student Room Group

Lattice dissociation enthalpy

If the lattice dissociation enthalpy is more negative does this mean the ionic bonds are stronger?
What about in the case of MgCO3 why are the bonds not as strong?

And if Lattice formation of enthalpy is highly endothermic what does this mean in regards to the bonds?

Thanks!
Original post by Zenarthra
If the lattice dissociation enthalpy is more negative does this mean the ionic bonds are stronger?
What about in the case of MgCO3 why are the bonds not as strong?

And if Lattice formation of enthalpy is highly endothermic what does this mean in regards to the bonds?

Thanks!

Lattice dissociation implies that the lattice is breaking apart - this process MUST be endothermic and therefore positive. It makes no sense to say "more negative".
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Lattice dissociation implies that the lattice is breaking apart - this process MUST be endothermic and therefore positive. It makes no sense to say "more negative".

I meant lattice formation for a compound is highly exothermic, what does this say about the bond strengths?

Sorry.
I meant lattice formation for a compound is highly exothermic, what does this say about the bond strengths?

Sorry.

More exothermic = stronger bonds ...
Reply 4
Original post by charco
More exothermic = stronger bonds ...

Ahh because more energy is released when the bond is formed.
Also could a highly endothermic lattice dissociation enthalpy determine the bond strengths, so the higher the more energy it requires to break the bond.

Its just the opposite i guess isnt it?
Ahh because more energy is released when the bond is formed.
Also could a highly endothermic lattice dissociation enthalpy determine the bond strengths, so the higher the more energy it requires to break the bond.

Its just the opposite i guess isnt it?

According to the law of conservation of energy ...

The energy required to break the lattice = -1 x (the energy released when forming the lattice)
Reply 6
Original post by charco
According to the law of conservation of energy ...

The energy required to break the lattice = -1 x (the energy released when forming the lattice)

Thanks dude!

Quick Reply

Latest