resits during gap year Watch

anzys
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
im was considering a gap year, but i havnt got the grades i expected for my course........ so i thought ill resit a few modules in jan and reapply nxt year.
is it possible to retake a few modules while in on a gap year?............if so id appreciate any info on how to do this.
ta
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by anzys)
im was considering a gap year, but i havnt got the grades i expected for my course........ so i thought ill resit a few modules in jan and reapply nxt year.
is it possible to retake a few modules while in on a gap year?............if so id appreciate any info on how to do this.
ta
I'm doing the same. I don't have to resit really but I'm going to (English Lit - see my sig and all becomes clear). I don't plan to be away in January anyway in case I get pooled by Cam and need to go back for more interviews.
Just ask your school to put you in for resits, they should let you. Bear in mind that you'll have to decline your grade(s) in order to resit, by sometime in September. AQA's deadline is the 20th.
Basically, going into school/college as soon as it opens again and talking to the head of sixth is the way forward, and don't forget to decline your grades by the deadline.
anzys
wot if if i change my mind and get taken into a uni this year but still dont want those unsightly D grades on my A'level results sheet?.........can i still go to that uni and decilne my a-level grades?.......oh and do i really need to decline them if im going to only repeat a couple of units?
thnx
paperheart
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what do you mean by "decline your grades?"
anzys
hmm, well as far as i understand it, if u resit, then they take the highest grade from either your original or resit, but if u decline your results, then they can only take the grades you get when you resit.
also, the students in my school who retook the year declined their grades, but the people who just resat their previous exams didnt.
hope thats understandable
:-)
paperheart
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I believe you need certified A-levels to go to uni. So you shouldn't be able to resit while at uni. If you got into uni with your grades there would be no point in resitting while there.

(Original post by Back of AQA results sheet)

Declining Awards

It is possible to decline the grade awarded for an Advanced Subsidiary or Advanced GCE subject. Grades (including U results) must be declined if a candidate wishes to improve on them by re-using any of the associated unit results towards the same qualification in a future series. The request to decline must be received by AQA by 20 September immediately following the June examination or, for the January examination, within four weeks of the publication of results.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by anzys)
hmm, well as far as i understand it, if u resit, then they take the highest grade from either your original or resit, but if u decline your results, then they can only take the grades you get when you resit.
also, the students in my school who retook the year declined their grades, but the people who just resat their previous exams didnt.
hope thats understandable
:-)
That's utter *******s sorry.

If you don't decline your grades and you resit then you've got your original A-level at grade D, say, and then a couple of resat units that don't count towards anything but themselves, even if you did better than last time. I think that's how it works anyway.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you had just done AS exams and you were carrying those subjects on to A2 and wanted to improve your AS units for them, then you wouldn't need to decline your results. Your AS level grade wouldn't change after your resits BUT the highest marks for each unit would count towards your final A-level result - if you're doing a subject at A2 then the grade you got in AS to start with is largely irrelevant. HOWEVER you need to be able to change your A-level grade through resits so you need to decline it before it sets like cement mix after the deadline.
iamgenius
Report 12 years ago
my college wont let ppl jsut do couple modules in jan anymore. so i have to retake the whole year. if i retake 2 of my A levels what do i do? decline my grades?

thanks
anzys
oops......guess i got it completely wrong.........ill contact my sixth form head like u say...........thnx Ronove
Scott Storch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What happens if you forget to decline your grade, then re-take a unit (to boost your grade) and you do amazingly on the re-take.

Does your grade automatically go up, even if you forgot to decline?
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by iamgenius)
my college wont let ppl jsut do couple modules in jan anymore. so i have to retake the whole year. if i retake 2 of my A levels what do i do? decline my grades?

thanks
Yes you need to decline the grades for the ones you want to resit modules in.

And that's pretty stupid. Why do they want you to do that?
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by anzys)
oops......guess i got it completely wrong.........ill contact my sixth form head like u say...........thnx Ronove
No problem.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scott Storch)
What happens if you forget to decline your grade, then re-take a unit (to boost your grade) and you do amazingly on the re-take.

Does your grade automatically go up, even if you forgot to decline?
As might be figured out from what I have already said, if it's for an AS you're taking to A2 then that 'amazing' resit will count towards the overall A-level grade. If it's an AS you're not continuing or if it's after you've done the whole A-level then I'm afraid I don't think it would count. Unless you did all the other units as well and got yourself a whole second A-level in it.
I almost got two AS levels in Critical Thinking (never declined the D and the spec changed) but I didn't turn up to the exam this year. I'd like to pretend I'm that much of a rebel but I actually had the flu. :rolleyes:
Scott Storch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Would the 'amazing' resit improve your overall AS grade as well.

You can get two AS levels in the same subject lol??

Which one do you put on applications and stuff, the better one, or both...?
iamgenius
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
Yes you need to decline the grades for the ones you want to resit modules in.

And that's pretty stupid. Why do they want you to do that?
so deos that mean my achievements in my A2s this year dont count anymore?

and could it be possible i end up with lower grade than what i currently have?

thanks
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scott Storch)
Would the 'amazing' resit improve your overall AS grade as well.

You can get two AS levels in the same subject lol??

Which one do you put on applications and stuff, the better one, or both...?
Not if you didn't decline the AS grade. But if you have an A2 then no-one will care how you did in the AS.

Obviously.

Both I suppose, for legal reasons. Though I still only have one due to missing the resit so that doesn't affect me.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by iamgenius)
so deos that mean my achievements in my A2s this year dont count anymore?

and could it be possible i end up with lower grade than what i currently have?

thanks
If you resit all the A2 units and do better in all of them than you did this year, that is correct.

No. They take the better result for each unit, so if you did worse in all the resits you'd end up using this year's units and thus would end up with exactly the same overall result (as none of the marks from the resits would be used in calculating your A-level result). If you gained any UMS marks in any of the resits you'd gain that many UMS in your A-level.
This is easily demonstrated using me as an example. :p:
I'm retaking English Lit units 4 and 6. I actually don't need to bother with both as it will be easy to get 4 more UMS marks in either of them (which I need to get my 476/600 to 480 and thus an A). I'm taking both because I'm just not happy I got Cs though. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'll just resit unit 4. Unit 6 was a ***** (though fun for the second half) and it's too late in the month, it might screw up my gap year plans. Unit 4 is on the 24th which is later than I'd like as well but never mind.
yo_dude
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ronove - hey - here's my dilemma.. I missed my A's by 7 and 4 ums marks respectfully. I want to remark (just incase) ANDDDDD re-take if the remarks didn't pan out. Do I have time for that? these deadlines are akwardly placed. By the way it's for Edexcel and AQA.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (286)
27.24%
No (764)
72.76%

Watched Threads