Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how did you guys find the exam?
    i think the 6 markers we're quite decent but felt like i was being generic and vague in my answers for part D?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heench)
    how did you guys find the exam?
    i think the 6 markers we're quite decent but felt like i was being generic and vague in my answers for part D?
    I agree the 6 mark questions were good and for the first time in a science exam I had spare time! Section D was okay, worst part for me was that IVF bit. What did you put for why they wouldn't do it for some women?

ReputationRep:
    There was quite a bit of maths.. cant remember the questions but some of the answers i got were, 37%, 7% something like 1727 for the area of kidney? erm 36% for the percentage of sand in the soil..

ReputationRep:
    There was quite a bit of maths.. cant remember the questions but some of the answers i got were, 37%, 7% something like 1727 for the area of kidney? erm 36% for the percentage of sand in the soil..
    That is what I gotas well! Almost the same amount of maths as the physics paper!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i had like 5 minutes to spare, erm i think i put they'd go for the young women with low levels of FSH? because the older women had more FSH so chances are their not getting pregnant due to age issues. The younger women dont have this problem so it may be that they need more FSH to produce eggs ready for IVF? i think thats wrong but i just put anything down in the hope to get some marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum8)
    That is what I gotas well! Almost the same amount of maths as the physics paper!
    yayy! Ikr? it came as a surprise to me because we've never practiced similar questions in class or in the revision guide

ReputationRep:
    There was definitely a lot of A03 in this exam! What do think grade boundaries will be like?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the questions were really random? And what did you get for the question on chlorophyll and how it got hydrogen etc..? Also the ons about the trees that grew in mud? Overall thought it was okay but some tricky parts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_09)
    There was definitely a lot of A03 in this exam! What do think grade boundaries will be like?
    i think the grade boundaries will be around 65% for an A* which is like 55/85 because the previous ones (Without section D) were around 45/75 for an A*
    i hope they'll be lower cause part D was a new thing introduced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_09)
    Hopefully still very low as in previous years but from people talking I think these exams were a little easier than previous ones so they might go up a bit but think our teacher said they would only go up around 5% or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingfrog123)
    Hopefully still very low as in previous years but from people talking I think these exams were a little easier than previous ones so they might go up a bit but think our teacher said they would only go up around 5% or so
    Yes I think they will go up by a bit if they do, because there was a lot of A03 in this exam compared to last year and previous ones

ReputationRep:
    It was baaaad!

i think the grade boundaries will be around 65% for an A* which is like 55/85 because the previous ones (Without section D) were around 45/75 for an A*
    Part D isn't a new thing, I've definitely come across it in past papers your estimate sounds right though.

ReputationRep:
    Last year was the first time Section D was introduces and the grade boundary for unit 2 was 47/85 for an A*, hope fully the boundaries will only go slightly higher if they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingfrog123)
    I thought the questions were really random? And what did you get for the question on chlorophyll and how it got hydrogen etc..? Also the ons about the trees that grew in mud? Overall thought it was okay but some tricky parts!
    I put hydrogen came from photosynthesis from water in the air or drawn in through roots, carbon came from carbon dioxide in the air through photosynthesis, and oxygen from respiration or unused oxygen in the water from photosynthesis? :/ they were only one mark so i think they were looking for one word answers?
    The trees one I put lack of oxygen means fewer nutrients (thats wrong, right?) and the reason for less biodiversity of plants is because conditions are specific, mud trees are densely planted, and there's not alot of oxygen so it'll be hard for other species to compete.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember what they got for the lowest percentage of species thing in section D? I got like 0.88% but like ALL of my friends got 7% or something so now im really worried!!!

ReputationRep:
    I just checked to see what the answer to the gland question was and it was the pituitary gland - successful guess!

What was the diameter one?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    I just checked to see what the answer to the gland question was and it was the pituitary gland - successful guess!

I got the Diameter was 1cm i think??
    Do you remember what u put for the first question in section D about the species and the percentage??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhloeCasser)
    Does anyone remember what they got for the lowest percentage of species thing in section D? I got like 0.88% but like ALL of my friends got 7% or something so now im really worried!!!
    I got 7%, it was the prokaryote one if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)

i put 1cm, and then for the area i got 1727

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhloeCasser)
    I got the Diameter was 1cm i think??
    Do you remember what u put for the first question in section D about the species and the percentage??
    Ahhh, I knew it was going to be 1cm because I *didn't* put that. Easy marks lost.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.