what are the odds of getting an ESRC studentship? Watch

Alan Smithee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
doesnt the esrc website have a 2+2 application?!!?
No, it's just the way Oxford doctor the ESRC 3+1 system to their needs.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by edders)
That's strange. I've read the MPhil handbook and it never mentions a research proposal. :confused:

As far as I can discern from the application form, the MPhil is a taught course, and as such one writes a 'statement of purpose' rather than a research proposal.
Yep, but you don't get funding for the masters solely, it's the PhD plus the masters as one unit, hence for 1+3 or 2+2 funding you need a PhD proposal, even though you won't start it for 2 years.
The Boosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Platocrates)
No, it's just the way Oxford doctor the ESRC 3+1 system to their needs.
how queer.
Gwai
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep, I've finally figured it out.

I also note that there's 3k extra for those doing quantative training. Woohoo, may be able to cash in big time and actually live like a fully-fledged adult if I get the 4 years.
Anyone know what the justification for the extra 3k is? Is the course longer? Calculators aren't that expensive surely...
jo131278
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
any comments on my chances for a studentship:-

2.1. Business & Human Resource Management (manchester met )
merit MSc Human Resource Management & Industrial Relations (Manchester Business School, uni of manchester)
postgraduate diploma in social research & statistics (uni of manchester)

worked for 6/7 years as a retail manager
possibly doing a bit of research assistance for a professor this year......would this help?????

any views welcome even if its not good news
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jo131278)

merit MSc Human Resource Management & Industrial Relations (Manchester Business School, uni of manchester)

possibly doing a bit of research assistance for a professor this year......would this help?????

Depends on the strength of your research proposal.
jo131278
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Platocrates)
Depends on the strength of your research proposal.
oh yeah and i'll be a graduate member of the chartered institute of personnel and development.

so its all down to the research proposal really in my case?????
what sort of points would you say i would come out with from my academic background?????
anything extra i can do?
will doing research assistance help my application alot???????....its in the field i want to do?????????

jo.x
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh yeah and i'll be a graduate member of the chartered institute of personnel and development.

so its all down to the research proposal really in my case?????
what sort of points would you say i would come out with from my academic background?????
anything extra i can do?
will doing research assistance help my application alot???????....its in the field i want to do?????????

jo.x
Answers to your questions, in order:

No.

A good few points.

Unsure.

Most definitely. That said, they'll still only fund those, whose research shows the most potential in furthering that particular field.
jo131278
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

ANY MORE VIEWS/COMMENTS PPL?????????????
I WOULD LIKE A FEW PEOPLE'S OPINION'S TO GIVE ME A BALANCED PICTURE
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To be honest, I don't really think there's anymore that can be said. Other than the things I mentioned, it's down to luck.
jo131278
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OK, a comment: you write like a ******.
useful
Ms.Golightly
Report 12 years ago
I'm just starting an MA and then going on to do a PhD (provided nothing traumatic happens inbetween!). I was lucky enough to get an ESRC studentship. I applied for the 1+3 but am only funded for the MA at the moment as the 1+3 went to somebody who did their undergraduate degree at the uni. I was told if i do well i will be in a good position to secure funding for the PhD as well. Therefore as i understand it, the basis for funding includes:

- a good research proposal with unique ideas/ insights
- it helps if you did your undergraduate degree at the institution
- a first or a 2:1 from your undergraduate degree

I would also say that competition is strong and it helps if a member of staff in the department you are applying to has a specific interest in the things mentioned in your research proposal. If they are going to supervise you, they want to pick people who have common interests OR different ideas.

Organisation is crucial so you need to get as much information as you can from the university you're interested in and the ERSC as well as perhaps talking to some staff in the department where you completed your undergraduate degree. The ERSC requires you to submit a proposal on the form you'll have to complete, as well as have references from members of staff, so i think you will have to definately write up a proposal.
dw_1618
Report 11 years ago
I gather that some universities will apply for ESRC funding and some require you to do it. If this is the case when should one start applying assuming post graduate course starts in 2008? After you get accepted onto the course itself?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads