The Student Room Group

Focus on getting 2.1 or graduate scheme?

Hey guys!

I got my university results a few days go...I'm in my third year of a four year course where 3rd year counts for 50% and fourth year counts for 50%

I didn't do so well...got a 56 average this year so I need a 64 or more next year for a 2.1

My question is should I focus on bumping my grade up and make no/very few grad applications or is it important to somehow do both as best I can? I was thinking about making around 20 applications to top companies like unilever/p and g/BA but is it worth spending a lot of time on this and risking getting a 2.2? How important is it to have a grad job right at the end of your degree?

How do companies like this view taking a year out after graduation for grad schemes?

I know this depends on my personal work ethic/situation but just wanted to know of other peoples experiences/advice

thanks a lot

BD
If you get 2.2, you wont be allowed in to majority of the grad schemes anyway, even if they accept you
Reply 2
Focus on getting your 2.1. You can't risk not getting the grade, whereas you can postpone application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Contrary to the above, the obvious answer is do both? I can't believe you need to spend 60 hours a week to get 64, so use some of your spare time to get those applications in.

Obviously to not get the 2.1 is a massive disadvantage, so get it. Similarly, to come out of uni and sit on your hands for a year waiting for 2016 schemes makes no sense.

All of that said, 20 applications is not bad (if done properly). More that I did. So don't feel you have to send off 100 fully customised applications.
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
Contrary to the above, the obvious answer is do both? I can't believe you need to spend 60 hours a week to get 64, so use some of your spare time to get those applications in.

Obviously to not get the 2.1 is a massive disadvantage, so get it. Similarly, to come out of uni and sit on your hands for a year waiting for 2016 schemes makes no sense.

All of that said, 20 applications is not bad (if done properly). More that I did. So don't feel you have to send off 100 fully customised applications.

It all depends really... If OP found it difficult to get the 56, it may be best just to focus on getting that 2.1.

That, coupled with the fact that applications/interviews/assessment centres usually happen around exam/revision time, it may be distracting to OP. A good application takes half a day to a day.

If there is more weight of applications nearer toward the beginning of the year, that might be a good compromise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Pipsico
It all depends really... If OP found it difficult to get the 56, it may be best just to focus on getting that 2.1.

That, coupled with the fact that applications/interviews/assessment centres usually happen around exam/revision time, it may be distracting to OP. A good application takes half a day to a day.

If there is more weight of applications nearer toward the beginning of the year, that might be a good compromise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good points, but I maintain that the university workload is unlikely to be equivalent to a full time job. Students tend to get in to the habit of being quite laid back (I certainly did), but if you treat it as a full time job you'll probably find you have bucket loads of time (assuming you don't have an actual job on top of uni that is!). Of course that doesn't guarantee that the OP will get the 2.1, but I don't think lack of time would be the issue.

Half/full day for the first one maybe. The competency stuff gets repetitive though, after a few it's much quicker. I agree that he'd be better off doing the apps early (September/October) so as not to conflict with exams where possible.
Reply 6
You really need to try and get the 2:1 in my opinion. Majority of grad schemes want 2:1 or above as do a lot of grad jobs. I applied to six schemes and got offered two jobs. Use your summer wisely and it won't be that hard to fire off a few applications. You've got time now so make sure you use that to your advantage. I don't know what your subject area is, but I did business and so many people do it that you need to stand out from the rest. The majority I know come out with a 2:1 but still don't have jobs because they have nothing else to show, there is just this massive pool of people like them after the same few jobs.
Reply 7
You need to do both. Even if it means you're pumping 60 hour weeks..

Most who do well out of uni do not fall into the trap of thinking "I'll just spend a year doing X while I get a grad scheme".

Those with some get up and go during final year tended to find it much much easier in my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for everyones advice!

Yeah my subject is Economics, hopefully getting more choice in what I study next year will impact my grade, and I will def try to send off a few applications september october time to avoid conflicting with exams.

Quick Reply

Latest