GCSE Edexcel physics - 12th June 2014

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Parallex
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Eradicating)
What about the reasons l why fusion does not need to slow it's neutron down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fusion doesn't involve absorption of neutrons - so why would they need to be slowed down? Stray neutrons can be thought of as a kind of 'waste product' during fusion.
Akashi
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
What about the reasons l why fusion does not need to slow it's neutron down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fusion requires its material to meet at high speeds.
clareeey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It was two marks! So do I get a mark for stating it transfers energy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should get at least one
I've attached part of the march 2013 markscheme that had a very similar 2 mark question "explain why the temperature of a resistor increases when a current passes through", so only variation is that our question was about a filament...
It wouldn't let me upload a cropped version...
Attached files
Marcusroye98
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Parallex)
Fusion doesn't involve absorption of neutrons - so why would they need to be slowed down? Stray neutrons can be thought of as a kind of 'waste product' during fusion.
I just put that no chain reactions occur?
Eradicating
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Could you say that
As fusion creates a helium nucleus and is the joining of hydrogen nuclei, the main product is the helium and the new neutron cannot be used a reactor again ( such as fast moving neutrons again splitting into uranium nucleus). So basically is useless and is a by product of reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Parallex
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Could you say that
As fusion creates a helium nucleus and is the joining of hydrogen nuclei, the main product is the helium and the new neutron cannot be used a reactor again ( such as fast moving neutrons again splitting into uranium nucleus). So basically is useless and is a by product of reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably, although fusion on Earth would probably consist of the deterium-deterium chain rather than the proton-proton chain (hydrogen -> helium like the Sun) but your explanation is still valid.
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Akashi)
Fusion requires its material to meet at high speeds.
But neutron is a product.

The isotopes of hydrogen do not need neutrons? To join... so how does this affect the material

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Probably, although fusion on Earth would probably consist of the deterium-deterium chain rather than the proton-proton chain (hydrogen -> helium like the Sun) but your explanation is still valid.
Deterium is an isotope of hydrogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Akashi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is it not enough to say that the reactants must meet at high speeds lol?

Hope that is right.
Marcusroye98
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Its 5.33

It was wrong rearranging lol

It was t=v-u/a

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was the question? i remember getting something .6 recurring for one of the questions..
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is it not enough to say that the reactants must meet at high speeds lol?

Hope that is right.
Idk lol I was so confused.

But isotopes don't need neutrons to join, so whether fast/slow the neurons do not affect reaction.

Idk I hope :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So how about the question below the half life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Akashi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So how about the question below the half life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was 5.2. Parallax agrees too
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It was 5.2. Parallax agrees too
The other one underneath it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Parallex
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Deterium is an isotope of hydrogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but it's the stable isotope of Hydrogen, which is better to attempt to fuse on Earth than the form of Hydrogen that the Sun uses. That's just background knowledge anyway, no marks even come from that.
Marcusroye98
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What did we need to say when it said compare the two isotopes?...
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes but it's the stable isotope of Hydrogen, which is better to attempt to fuse on Earth than the form of Hydrogen that the Sun uses. That's just background knowledge anyway, no marks even come from that.
Would I get a mark if I said that the half life is 5?

Or does it definitely range from 5.2 to 5.4! Oh god:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Akashi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Would I get a mark if I said that the half life is 5?

Or does it definitely range from 5.2 to 5.4! Oh god:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the range will be any larger than that.
Eradicating
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't think the range will be any larger than that.
LOL 4 marks gone.

:eek:
What did you get for question that says find 1000bq year? For sommit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Akashi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
LOL 4 marks gone.

:eek:
What did you get for question that says find 1000bq year? For sommit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Range, I think, will be 15.8-16.2.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.03%
Okay (43)
29.86%
A bit lacking (51)
35.42%
Not good at all (37)
25.69%

Watched Threads