Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at Birmingham uni or going next year that is either a skydiver or interested in becoming one I'm going to try and set a club up next year at birmingham.

If you're interested, or interested in doing a tandem skydive as a one off or for charity etc then drop me a PM with your email/MSN and I'll keep you informed as to how its going, and maybe we can sort out some first jump courses etc next year!

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do that.... although I thought there was already a club?

ReputationRep:
    Cool, nope there isn't a skydiving club at the moment, I emailed the Guild or whatever they are that organise the clubs etc and asked them. Don't know if there has been one in the past, if there was one at some point, I've heard it makes setting it up much easier, you just have to kind of resurrect it. But yeah, skydiving rules everyone, come and make a jump next year! If you all let me have a contact email I'll let you know how its going when I sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well my e-mail is bully_fish @ hotmail.com - Get in contact if you get it organised, as I would love to do some skydiving!

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do skydiving, will prob get in touch when we get to Bham!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, well a few people are interested already, I'm pretty sure I'll need some signatures from people interested when I sort it out, so everyone who gives me contacts I'll keep in touch, also if anyone is possibly interested and wants to know anything about the sport I'll be happy to answer questions, or also you can email me at [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    hi..id b interested too..sounds really cool! my email is [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Cool, got your emails, will keep in touch about it. Also you all have my email so any questions I'll be happy to answer. Not only does it sound cool, I promise you, it IS cool!

ReputationRep:
    hey i did a tandem skydive this summer for charity and it was undescribable!! best experience of my life. the only problem i had with takin it up as a hobby was the expense of it. mog x

ReputationRep:
    I've Done two tandem skydives... Both awesome!!!

I'd be up for it, I'm just worried about the cost of doing it over here...

ReputationRep:
    How much?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind betting the cost of your tandem skydives abraod is hugely more expensive than I pay for a jump.

I could go to the dropzone and pay 9 pounds to jump out at 6000ft (the plane usually gets to 7000 anyway before jump run at this altitude), not many people get out that low though, it's usually if you enjoy playing with your canopy or want to swoop (if you're pretty experienced and have a lot of jumps). But just to prove a point you can jump out of a plane for under a tenner!

Normal altitude is anywhere between 13000ft and 15000ft, this gives you over a minute of freefall before a good canopy ride. On a friday this will cost you £15, any other day it costs you £20, unless you buy blocks of jump tickets, in which case it costs slightly less (but not on a friday, £15 is Friday tickets... they never get cheaper). I pretty much only ever buy blocks of 20 tickets or Friday tickets these days, so I pay £15 a jump on fridays, and £18 a jump on any other day.... so its not as bad a s a lot of people think, put it this way I know tonnes of skydivers who go to uni and can easily afford it.

To get started the way most uni students would go is RAPS (RAM air Progression System), this was the system I used to get my license. YOu have to do a first jump course, which involves a weekend of training followed by a jump. This initially costs about £150, (although you can raise money for charity and that way either get it much cheaper or for free, I know a few people who've done it that way... basically if you raised £300 the £150 would go to pay the cost of the course, then the other half goes to charity.... half goes towards your course, half goes toward charity.) After that, until you get your A license, it is £36 a jump, which can be done in either 16 or 18 jumps, I'd have to check. Then once you have your A license it goes to the prices I mentioned earlier.

Also if we managed to get a fair few people who wanted to do a first jump through RAPS I could possibly negotiate some sort of discount with the dropzone.

Also if we can get the club up and running this year, we may be able to get funding next year to subsidise jump tickets even further, some unis can get standard jump tickets to full altitude subsidised to a tenner or less. So don't be too worried about cost, its the best thing in the world and would still be worth it if it was a £1000 a jump ticket!!! We just wouldn't be able to jump as often!

And boys and girls, just remember.... skydiving is the only sport with an official set of BEER rules!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Rules on when you can and cannot drink alcohol for the beer rules? Because diving has those too :p:

Thats so much cheaper than i would of thought aswell! Never been before, but definatly guna go now!

ReputationRep:
    Rules on when you can and cannot drink alcohol for the beer rules? Because diving has those too :p:

Thats so much cheaper than i would of thought aswell! Never been before, but definatly guna go now!

ReputationRep:
    Nice one! No not beer rules like that so to speak, generally skydivers drink a lot of beer and alcohol (after jumping has finished)... which can lead to some very interesting things happening But yeah for random things and milestones and other things we buy a 'crate of beer', sometimes you might have to buy some beer for other people, but quite often you get a fair bit of free beer! It's not compulsory... but it is fun!

ReputationRep:
    £9? £15? £20? Damn... Sign Me up already!!!

I did mine in NZ for $150 (~£50) (both 12-13k ft) And thought I had a bargain!!! Getting a Licence would be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, if you PM me a contact email Bobbit I'll keep in touch with you about it.

ReputationRep:
    This does sound good, i thought it would be way more expensive than you have mentioned!

ReputationRep:
    Hey up CAFC, it IS good! PM me a contact email if you're iinterested and I'll keep in touch with you about it.

ReputationRep:
    Try linking up with other unis in the area that don't have a club either. It's pretty pricely, so, more people = more haggling power at dropzones, + it makes car-sharing (etc) easier! Drop the BCPA a line, they might be able to help with stuff too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2006
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.