Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA P1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
    No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
    These are by no means the only correct (assuming they are even correct ) answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in.

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

P.S. If anyone starts a massive argument about a 1 mark question, I will track you down and slit your throat with a rusty spoon, srs. k?

P.P.S Just in case anyone was feeling the need to post 'for the sake of it' corrections, please just do me a favour and **** off now.

The Answers

Q1

1a)
    Advantage - They don't produce greenhouse gases as they use nuclear fission.
    Disadvantage - They have a longer start up time.
    1bi) E = 2000kW * 6h = 12000kWh
    1bii) Because wind power is unreliable as the amount of wind at any given time is unpredictable, so they will not always be running at maximum efficiency.
    1c) They are safer and less prone to damage as they are kept underground.

Q2

2)
    Solids are difficult to compress as the particles are fixed in a regular lattice structure which provides stability and gives them a fixed shape. In addition to this, the particles only vibrate a small amount which means that they tend to retain their shape unless crushed or otherwise broken. They have relatively strong forces between particles which means that they cannot flow.
    On the other hand, liquids have larger spaces between the particles and weaker forces (although not as weak as gases) between them, so they can be compressed and flow to fill their container as there aren't any strong forces keeping them fixed in place. Also, the liquid particles vibrate moderately quickly which means that the structure of a liquid is not regular and strong as the solid lattice.

[Apparently it was about gases, but similar points apply anyway :/]

Q3

3a) Infrared radiation
    3b)
    1 - Make them closer to the heating elements
    2 - Keep them in the oven for a longer time
    3c) Shiny surfaces are poor emitters and absorbers of infrared radiation, but they reflect it well. This reduces the energy loss by radiation and makes it so that more infrared stays 'trapped' within the oven, so it is more efficient and the biscuits are cooked well.

Q4

4ai) The wave vibrates 440 times every second.
    4aii) 340m∙s-1/440s-1 = 0.773m
    4b)
    The second wave was louder as it had a greater amplitude
    The second wave was higher pitched as it had a shorter wavelength (and therefore greater frequency)

Q5

5a) The water from a source (such as a river) is blocked off by a dam and kept high up which gives it gravitational potential energy. When electricity is required, the water is then released from a height which converts the gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy, which is then used directly to turn a turbine. This converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy using electromagnetic induction.
    5b) When a television is in standby mode, it is still using a small amount of energy even though it is not in use. This means that all of the useful energy supplied to it is being wasted. As electricity is often supplied through fossil fuels like coal and natural gas which release harmful gases into the environment, using less electricity by switching the television completely off would minimize the amount of fossil fuels used and therefore the amount of gases given off, which is better for the environment.
    5c) Because it is an ethical question and cannot be verified by experiment.

Q6

6a) When the fridge door is closed, the freezer compartment is much cooler than the fridge compartment as there is not much energy lost to the surroundings. This means that the air is confined to the fridge/freezer. Because the hotter air from the fridge is vibrating at a faster rate than the colder air from the freezer as it has more heat energy, its density is lower than that of the cold air which causes it to rise and the cold air to sink. The cold air then becomes higher in temperature as it is in the fridge area, and the cycle repeats forming a convection current.
    6b) 300 = 1.2 * 250, but 450 ≠ 1.2 * 3.75. This means that the relationship between the variables is not directly proportional.
    6c)
    Advantage - More efficient so it uses less energy, could save money.
    Disadvantage - Old fridge must be disposed of, could be bad for environment (e.g. sent to landfill)

Q7

7a) Conduction.
    7b) 35000J = 35kJ
    7c) 500J∙kg-1∙C-1
    7d) Because some of the energy is lost as it is used to heat the water instead.

Q8

8a) 14W * 0.42 = 5.9W (to 2 s.f.)
    8aii) 14W - 5.9W = 8.1W
    8b) LED bulbs have a greater efficiency than halogen bulbs, so more of the total power is used for light. In addition to this, they also have a significantly lower input power (7W compared to 40W) than the halogen lamp, which means that less energy will be required per second and therefore less money will be spent on electricity.
    8bii) A logarithmic line graph, as there is a very wide range of light intensities so it will be difficult and extremely time consuming to plot them all on a linear scale. In addition to this, it will also allow the correlation between the variables to be spotted easily.
    8c) LED bulbs have a buying cost of £30, which is 20 times more than what halogen bulbs cost to buy. On the other hand, LED bulbs last 24 times longer.
    In addition to this, a single LED bulb can last 48000 hours with an overall cost of £30+ £67.20 = £97.20. In contrast to this, a halogen bulb lasts only 2000 hours with an overall cost of £1.50 + £16 = £17.50. This means that you would need 24 halogen bulbs to have the same lifetime as just one LED bulb, which would give an overall cost of £17.50 * 24 = £420. Therefore, LED bulbs are significantly more cost efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Nice answers, pretty much the same as mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    2) This was on solids and gases, not liquids.

4) a) i) I'm sure it doesn't mean that but means a 440 wavelengths pass a particular point in one second.

8) a) i) and a) ii) I'm certain it was 5.8 watts as useful energy, and subsequently wasted energy was 8.2 watts.

8) b) ii) Should say 'line graph' because the variable was continuous as opposed to categoric, at which point it would be a bar chart.
    Yeah just edit these it and everything else is right. Take my answer from the other thread for the solids+gases question if you want

ReputationRep:
    What was question 7b?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feeling slightly more confident after reading this, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nicee, think I did pretty good now apart from that ****ty last question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)

8aii) 14W - 5.9W = 8.1W
    8b) LED bulbs have a greater efficiency than halogen bulbs, so more of the total power is used for light. In addition to this, they also have a significantly lower input power (7W compared to 40W) than the halogen lamp, which means that less energy will be required per second and therefore less money will be spent on electricity.
    For 8aii), The question asked heat transferred per second so that would be 8.1W x 1s = 8.1J
    For 8b) the question asked something in relation to why the cabinet being less effective if LED were to replace halogen bulb (might be wrong here but unsure).

ReputationRep:
    IGCSE AQA physics was easy!!!!!!!

the unit 1 papers seemed really easy this year, hopefully that doesn't mean extremely high boundaries

ReputationRep:
    Did 4aii ask for 3sf because I rounded to 2dp and got 0.77, would I lose any marks?

(Original post by Joshua697)
    Did 4aii ask for 3sf because I rounded to 2dp and got 0.77, would I lose any marks?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Will i get any marks for saying: scatter graph (with line of best fit) instead of line graph?

They do the same job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA P1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
    No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
    These are by no means the only correct (assuming they are even correct ) answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in.

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

P.S. If anyone starts a massive argument about a 1 mark question, I will track you down and slit your throat with a rusty spoon, srs. k?

P.P.S Just in case anyone was feeling the need to post 'for the sake of it' corrections, please just do me a favour and **** off now.

The Answers

Q1

1a)
    Advantage - They don't produce greenhouse gases as they use nuclear fission.
    Disadvantage - They have a longer start up time.
    1bi) E = 2000kW * 6h = 12000kWh
    1bii) Because wind power is unreliable as the amount of wind at any given time is unpredictable, so they will not always be running at maximum efficiency.
    1c) They are safer and less prone to damage as they are kept underground.

Q2

2)
    Solids are difficult to compress as the particles are fixed in a regular lattice structure which provides stability and gives them a fixed shape. In addition to this, the particles only vibrate a small amount which means that they tend to retain their shape unless crushed or otherwise broken. They have relatively strong forces between particles which means that they cannot flow.
    On the other hand, liquids have larger spaces between the particles and weaker forces (although not as weak as gases) between them, so they can be compressed and flow to fill their container as there aren't any strong forces keeping them fixed in place. Also, the liquid particles vibrate moderately quickly which means that the structure of a liquid is not regular and strong as the solid lattice.

[Apparently it was about gases, but similar points apply anyway :/]

Q3

3a) Infrared radiation
    3b)
    1 - Make them closer to the heating elements
    2 - Keep them in the oven for a longer time
    3c) Shiny surfaces are poor emitters and absorbers of infrared radiation, but they reflect it well. This reduces the energy loss by radiation and makes it so that more infrared stays 'trapped' within the oven, so it is more efficient and the biscuits are cooked well.

Q4

4ai) The wave vibrates 440 times every second.
    4aii) 340m∙s-1/440s-1 = 0.773m
    4b)
    The second wave was louder as it had a greater amplitude
    The second wave was higher pitched as it had a shorter wavelength (and therefore greater frequency)

Q5

5a) The water from a source (such as a river) is blocked off by a dam and kept high up which gives it gravitational potential energy. When electricity is required, the water is then released from a height which converts the gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy, which is then used directly to turn a turbine. This converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy using electromagnetic induction.
    5b) When a television is in standby mode, it is still using a small amount of energy even though it is not in use. This means that all of the useful energy supplied to it is being wasted. As electricity is often supplied through fossil fuels like coal and natural gas which release harmful gases into the environment, using less electricity by switching the television completely off would minimize the amount of fossil fuels used and therefore the amount of gases given off, which is better for the environment.
    5c) Because it is an ethical question and cannot be verified by experiment.

Q6

6a) When the fridge door is closed, the freezer compartment is much cooler than the fridge compartment as there is not much energy lost to the surroundings. This means that the air is confined to the fridge/freezer. Because the hotter air from the fridge is vibrating at a faster rate than the colder air from the freezer as it has more heat energy, its density is lower than that of the cold air which causes it to rise and the cold air to sink. The cold air then becomes higher in temperature as it is in the fridge area, and the cycle repeats forming a convection current.
    6b) 300 = 1.2 * 250, but 450 ≠ 1.2 * 3.75. This means that the relationship between the variables is not directly proportional.
    6c)
    Advantage - More efficient so it uses less energy, could save money.
    Disadvantage - Old fridge must be disposed of, could be bad for environment (e.g. sent to landfill)

Q7

7a) Conduction.
    7b) 35000J = 35kJ
    7c) 500J∙kg-1∙C-1
    7d) Because some of the energy is lost as it is used to heat the water instead.

Q8

8a) 14W * 0.42 = 5.9W (to 2 s.f.)
    8aii) 14W - 5.9W = 8.1W
    8bii) A logarithmic line graph, as there is a very wide range of light intensities so it will be difficult and extremely time consuming to plot them all on a linear scale. In addition to this, it will also allow the correlation between the variables to be spotted easily.
    8c) LED bulbs have a buying cost of £30, which is 20 times more than what halogen bulbs cost to buy. On the other hand, LED bulbs last 24 times longer.
    In addition to this, a single LED bulb can last 48000 hours with an overall cost of £30+ £67.20 = £97.20. In contrast to this, a halogen bulb lasts only 2000 hours with an overall cost of £1.50 + £16 = £17.50. This means that you would need 24 halogen bulbs to have the same lifetime as just one LED bulb, which would give an overall cost of £17.50 * 24 = £420. Therefore, LED bulbs are significantly more cost efficient.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Failed

ReputationRep:
    Wow I did badly and the annoying thing is I was had the right answers but changed them.

ReputationRep:
    I put infrared but then changed to microwaves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excuse Me!)
    I put infrared but then changed to microwaves
    Yes that question confused me does anyone know whether nuclear energy is a more concentrated Source than gas for the first question. Also for the scientist one could you just say that people will have different opinions or something along those lines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    Yes that question confused me does anyone know whether nuclear energy is a more concentrated Source than gas for the first question. Also for the scientist one could you just say that people will have different opinions or something along those lines?
    Yeah I agree with the concentrated energy source- it releases much more energy per kg of fuel than gas does

ReputationRep:
    Isn't 5(c) supposed to be a social issue?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for this and your other mark schemes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 7, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.