The Student Room Group

Getting a whippet puppy need advice!

I am collecting an 8 week old male whippet puppy on Saturday (really looking forward to it!) and am just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to expect in training the new puppy and any toys/ treats you would recommend. I have looked after a dog before (Re-homed an ex-racer greyhound) but have no experience with puppies :biggrin:
my family has had three dogs all raised from puppies and all i can say about training is repetition and make sure its obvious to your dog what your praising it for as well as be aware of the tone of voice your using for praising and scolding, i can't rember much from house training a puppy since all our dogs are old now (i mean they going grey haired haha) but we started with newspaper near the door and keeping an eye out for sniffing near furniture and what would appear to look like it was about to go the loo and move the puppy to the newspaper.

oh and also puppies need alot of toys and mental stimulant to keep it from getting board and there for not pay attention to your training.

also puppies are like children be patient with them but firm

hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest