Question about Graduate Law Study at Oxford

Watch
CaraG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This is a very premature q considering as I am only just currently taking my A2's, but please bear with me. Forgive my ignorance on the topic of education post-grad. I hope to study Law at Bristol starting from this September, and am interested especially in gender/women in law/ rape as a weapon of war and thereby international human rights law etc

Procrastinating, I was researching graduate programmes at Oxford as I am a post-interview undergrad reject and yet hope to possibly complete a Doctor of Philosophy after (hopefully) graduating from Bristol (I know you have to undertake at least 1 year PRS before you can be accepted onto this Ox programme.) I have some questions:

1. Can you apply for the DPhil without having a masters? e.g coming out of graduating - or is this very rare and thereby pointless?
2. Can you apply to as a graduate student for Oxfords DPhil in Law if you have been to any other UK uni for undergrad study (e.g Bristol)?
3. What is the likelihood of getting onto such a programme considering I won't have been an Oxford undergrad?
4. Would a 1st from Bristol be considered? (I know i'm creating my own dream here, but bear with - this is hypothetical!) or are students generally much older/ with far more life and career experience?
5. Can you research more or less anything during the DPhil e.g Gender and the Law etc?

Thanks!
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1. No. There are various routes but none involves applying to the DPhil directly from your undergraduate degree.
2. Yes. You would do your undergrad at Bristol, then either continue to a Master's at Bristol and then on to the DPhil at Oxford or (better) apply for a Master's at Oxford and then on to the DPhil. Read about the options here: http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate/research.php
3. You can't attach any kind of figure to it but there are plenty of postgrad students in law at Oxford who didn't do their undergrad degree at Oxford.
4. Yes it would. Being older counts for nothing and having career experience counts for next to nothing.
5. Yes, as long as you have a viable proposal (something that will make a substantial contribution to scholarship in the area) and the university has someone willing and available to supervise it.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CaraG)

Procrastinating, I was researching graduate programmes at Oxford as I am a post-interview undergrad reject and yet hope to possibly complete a Doctor of Philosophy after (hopefully) graduating from Bristol (I know you have to undertake at least 1 year PRS before you can be accepted onto this Ox programme.) I have some questions:
To all intents and purposes PRS status is direct admission to a DPhil; it is simply a DPhil with a mid course review to check that your progress is satisfactory.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CaraG)
4. Would a 1st from Bristol be considered? (I know i'm creating my own dream here, but bear with - this is hypothetical!) or are students generally much older/ with far more life and career experience?
The best way to secure a place on the Oxford DPhil in Law would be through strong performance on that university's BCL (its one-year 'taught masters'). You can see the profiles of the students admitted for that course here: http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/published/po...leBook2013.pdf (for your purposes you can ignore the MJur students). As you see, it is perfectly possible to be admitted for this course without having gone to Oxford for undergrad. It is, though, extremely difficult to get admitted for this course wherever you studied.

(Original post by CaraG)
5. Can you research more or less anything during the DPhil e.g Gender and the Law etc?
If you want to do something like your "e.g....", you might be well suited here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postg...tre_for_1.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise