The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's actually not as hard as you might think. However it also depends on your teacher and if your learning manual or automatic. Either way as long as you are able to keep yourself nice and calm while you learn you should be fine :smile:
I guess it's different for everyone. I was also a little overwhelmed before I started. I thought it looked difficult, but it wasn't so bad after a couple lessons. Having a good instructor is important. If you struggle and are a bit nervous, it would be best to have someone who is patient. If you don't like the one you have, you should find someone else. The best idea is to ask others who have had lessons and have them recommend a decent instructor near you.
There is nothing to be terrified of, however I do not find it necessary to have driving license If the one is not interested in driving.

I would say that driving is much close to playing piano: it's easy to play single voice melody which is like driving around car parking space, and easy to play simple piece composed for rookie kids. On the other hand, having full controll over car in difficult situations, may be as hard as playing like a virtuoso. It takes months or even years of theory and practice (practice is far more efficient when you already know what should be done), however it cannot be achieved in normal driving, because everyday traffic is most often like playing that simple piece for kids, and there is no place for training. However some day some extreme situations may happen, eg. road may be covered with black ice, or some other driver will force priority, and then you will have to act fast, precise, use all the grip that is avaible or inavaible.

Please don't get me wrong. I do not want to be a pert, just telling what I believe is important. In fact, both driving skills and piano playing are my hobby, I took part in a few car rallies, I live in a country where are quite difficult driving conditions and I really find both things similar in terms of skills level. I also believe that paying attention to driving skills not only can save your life, but it's also fun and makes you relaxed while driving, beause you have better ability to recognize threats, and you can drive more easyli and efficient in terms of speed and fuel consumption. Thanks to a hard training in special driving school and a few rallies I took part in a past, I do not find any conditions to be difficult, I can drive safe and quite quick on snow, ice, or in a mountains, in fact I find it to be great entertainment.
Before I started having lessons I was excited about learning to drive but SO nervous. After my first couple of lessons I was really enjoying it and now I can say that I can drive a car without being nervous. I've had about 20 lessons equalling about 25 hours and looking to book my test soon. I would say that a good instructor also makes driving much more enjoyable and makes you more confident but it's not as hard as it seems trust me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you can ride a bike you can drive a car. Its very easy once youve managed to control the clutch.
as everyone else said hella easy, though the clutch takes a cuple of hours of practise to master. but you cant be afraid of it like you are saying you are. fear and self doubt is one of your worst enemies in driving. youve got to own the car like its your little bitch.
Find a decent instructor - go for a level 5 or 6 one. ( believe me it makes a difference) It really is not hard to learn to drive ( only hard to pass your test)
Reply 8
If I'm honest I hate it but that is largely due to being forced by my parents to do it and being of a nervous disposition. It's not hard to drive the car, that's the easy part. I think reading the roads and controlling situations is the hardest part to driving, but if you have a good driving instructor you should be alright.
Reply 9
Driving a car is like anything in life. You start, you make mistakes. Your able to drive ok, but have to learn rules to pass a test. You then pass and get more confident. The more confidence you get the more unorthodox your driving gets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yyyy... If driving is easy, why so many accidents take place?
Nobody can be as bad as me. I only drive if there's no other option.
Original post by meenu89
Nobody can be as bad as me. I only drive if there's no other option.

Most of weak points can be improved with hard work. Couple of years ago I read about experiment in which, a team of professional rally drivers took a group of complete amateurs of different education, and forced them to practice 8 hours a day. After 4 days the amateurs were still unable to controll the car at maximum speed, but they were able to controll any sort of skid at more average speeds, and perform several maneuvers characterisitic for stunt and rally drivers. You can.
I was the same, but I had a really good driving instructor, and I just kept telling myself that if I follow all of the rules that I'd been told, there's no reason something should go wrong, and practised a lot on really easy streets before moving on to the harder stuff. And I also tried to practise during times when I was feeling particularly good and calm, because if I was in a bad way, I was just going to freak out. Just start slow and work at your own pace. I've had my driver's licence for over three years now and haven't crashed anything :smile:
Well I got my first lesson on Wednesday. Funnily enough an independent driving instructor lives just down the road from my house. She is also supposed to be good with nervous drivers, maybe it's a sign :moon:.

Original post by Marcum
If I'm honest I hate it but that is largely due to being forced by my parents to do it and being of a nervous disposition. It's not hard to drive the car, that's the easy part. I think reading the roads and controlling situations is the hardest part to driving, but if you have a good driving instructor you should be alright.

I'm in a kind of similar situation. My uncle is offering to pay for lessens so it would be stupid not to have them. I'm not going to be able to afford a car anytime soon though. Especially if I am back in full time education next year. It's fun being poor.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
Yyyy... If driving is easy, why so many accidents take place?

What does "so many" mean?

The average driver has an accident about once a decade, despite driving for maybe an hour a day on average. That seems a fairly low accident rate to me.
Driving's all about multi-tasking, so as with any new skill it can be hard to start with. However look at it this way - almost everyone can drive, across all walks of life. Therefore it's highly likely you'll take well to it and be able to too!
Reply 17
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I want to make myself get driving lessons but I am terrified of driving. I just can't for the life of me imagine myself driving. I'm generally well coordinated so I should be able to do it, it's just all in my mind, which has a habit of screwing me over, like I will panic and do something stupid.

So erm... to anyone who can drive what was it like when you were first learning?

It's easy. It's just all about practice.
At first it is difficult as there is a lot to think about but the instructors know this which is why they start you off with in car parks, industrial estates and virtually unused roads etc, they can also jump in at any time with the dual controls. After the first couple of lessons you start to get your head round it and it's fine.
Reply 19
The only hard thing is roundabouts and 3 point turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending