The Student Room Group

Second thoughts on Computing A-Level

Hey guys,

I am planning to go to University to Study Computer Science. Now, I have chosen to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing as my AS-Levels with a view to drop computing at the end of year 12.

I had my computing exam today, albeit I think it went well revising it last night was just such a long tedious process and made me reconsider whether or not I actually wanted to take it to AS-Level...

Just a thread asking for opinions on whether or not you think I should drop Computing (Predicted an A) and if so what I should take instead (Bearing in mind Computer Science Degree).

Thanks in Advance
Original post by TMudd
Hey guys,

I am planning to go to University to Study Computer Science. Now, I have chosen to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing as my AS-Levels with a view to drop computing at the end of year 12.

I had my computing exam today, albeit I think it went well revising it last night was just such a long tedious process and made me reconsider whether or not I actually wanted to take it to AS-Level...

Just a thread asking for opinions on whether or not you think I should drop Computing (Predicted an A) and if so what I should take instead (Bearing in mind Computer Science Degree).

Thanks in Advance

That subject combination is so good by the way, I wish I took those because I really love maths (as I imagine you do too). But erm I think you should just try out your subjects first before dropping one. You aren't in year 12 yet right? or have I misunderstood?
Reply 2
You want to do it at uni but not at AS? You would still be able to get onto courses but are you sure you want to take a degree if you're finding it tedious in GCSE.
Reply 3
To be honest if you have maths and further maths, no university would immediately stomp on you chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Here's the deal: A-Level Computing is not a requirement to study Computer Science at University (which is what i'm going for as well :shakehand:). What you do need is the Mathematics and Further Mathematics at AS and A2. Computing at A-Level actually has quite little to do with Computer Science anyway, and you'd be better off doing a slight different subject for the purposes of enrichment.

For example, you could do Philosophy (which I'm doing as well), which will prepare you for the philosophical side of Comp-Sci that is the leading edge of research at the moment. Maybe you could even do English Literature and get the more artistic side of your intellect flowing. Remember, you want to study these machines, not become one. If you really want to drop Computing for A2, give these things some consideration :smile:.
Reply 5
Ok, reading the responses I feel I must clear up that Computer Science doesn't require Computing A-Level, I have always loved computers and know that Comp-Sci is the course for me, Quite a bit of coding and also lots of theory, but GCSE and GCE is all the boring stuff like Network topologies whereas at Uni I think I can choose things like Robotics which is about 1.21x more interesting (If you get the reference)

Also I may look into Philosophy, could you tell me how it can be related to Comp-Sci and how it is as an AS-Level?
Reply 6
Original post by crayolaguy
That subject combination is so good by the way, I wish I took those because I really love maths (as I imagine you do too). But erm I think you should just try out your subjects first before dropping one. You aren't in year 12 yet right? or have I misunderstood?

I have had to convince myself I love maths due to taking further... but yeah I have a Sixth Form induction week, after those 5 lessons of Computing I will decide, also I will get feedback from friends about Philosophy.
This is an Oxford answer but hopefully it will be useful to you. We quite often see applicants in this situation. For us Maths and Further Maths are the important ones. As long as a candidate was still on track for our standard conditional offer, we wouldn't mind if they dropped a fourth subject at AS - even if it was Computing. If an applicant isn't finding the Computing A Level challenging enough, and drops it in order to have time to follow that interest for the subject outside of the classroom that's fine with us. We're very much looking for students with a flair for maths, but also a genuine interest in computer science. So, it's helpful if the reasons behind dropping the subject are given either in the personal statement or the reference. Hope that helps.
Reply 8
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
This is an Oxford answer but hopefully it will be useful to you. We quite often see applicants in this situation. For us Maths and Further Maths are the important ones. As long as a candidate was still on track for our standard conditional offer, we wouldn't mind if they dropped a fourth subject at AS - even if it was Computing. If an applicant isn't finding the Computing A Level challenging enough, and drops it in order to have time to follow that interest for the subject outside of the classroom that's fine with us. We're very much looking for students with a flair for maths, but also a genuine interest in computer science. So, it's helpful if the reasons behind dropping the subject are given either in the personal statement or the reference. Hope that helps.

This was really useful as Oxford is the University I'm aiming for but Computing itself is fun, I need to look into what the A-Level course involves as I find some things such as Network Topologies to be just awful but I find things such as Binary and Hex really interesting....

I'm not entirely sure if my school lets me take 4 A2-Levels but Im hoping they will as albeit my subjects are going to take up a lot of time, I feel that 4 A-Levels at the end would be worth it.

Thanks for the response genuinely made my day that the University I want to go to replied to my thread :biggrin:
Original post by TMudd
This was really useful as Oxford is the University I'm aiming for but Computing itself is fun, I need to look into what the A-Level course involves as I find some things such as Network Topologies to be just awful but I find things such as Binary and Hex really interesting....

I'm not entirely sure if my school lets me take 4 A2-Levels but Im hoping they will as albeit my subjects are going to take up a lot of time, I feel that 4 A-Levels at the end would be worth it.

Thanks for the response genuinely made my day that the University I want to go to replied to my thread :biggrin:

My pleasure :-)

We only (normally) make offers on three A Levels. So not having done a fourth wouldn't disadvantage you. Be careful not to overstretch yourself: we don't see AAAA as equivalent to A*AA. But if four is the right thing for you - it is for many of our students - then great, go for it.

You might this list of recommended reading & other interesting stuff useful: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/background_reading.html
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest