Dont know what books to get for Edexcel IGCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics

Watch
Jandubo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Do not know what books to get for Edexcel IGCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics also Science: Double award

what are the best books with the current specification? I am a private candidate

These are the official books but they're kind of old (2009) is this a problem? its 2015 now? http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...s/Buy/Buy.aspx
WinterWind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Edexcel IGCSE for sciences as well (only one bio exam left now). I had to self teach chemistry and physics since I had absolutely crap teachers. I mainly used cgp revision guides

Our school gave us the 2009 edition textbooks and we didn't find it a big problem. If you're going to use the old ones just check the current syllabus to make sure all the topics are covered (there isn't much difference anyway), and it should be fine. Good luck!
zrk2014
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would 100% recommend the CGP revision guides, literally memorise one of those and you can easily get an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
danconway
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jandubo)
Do not know what books to get for Edexcel IGCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics also Science: Double award

what are the best books with the current specification? I am a private candidate

These are the official books but they're kind of old (2009) is this a problem? its 2015 now? http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...s/Buy/Buy.aspx
I'm currently taking International GCSE in the separate sciences: the official books are still relevant because the specification has not really changed that much since 2009. There have been minor changes but you don't really need to worry. Everything is relevant for the course. Also, new editions of the books were published quite recently.

old title: Edexcel IGCSE Biology (etc.)
new title: Edexcel International GCSE Biology / Edexcel Certificate in Biology.
danconway
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics, or are you just doing the Double Award? You can either get the 3 GCSEs or the 2 from Double.
Jandubo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by danconway)
Are you taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics, or are you just doing the Double Award? You can either get the 3 GCSEs or the 2 from Double.
I'm doing the 3. Plus Science Double Award which you get by completing the 3 IGCSE paper 1's.

can you post a link of the new book's if you can find them please
danconway
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing the 3. Plus Science Double Award which you get by completing the 3 IGCSE paper 1's.

can you post a link of the new book's if you can find them please
Just to clarify: you can't get the 3 IGCSEs AND Double Award.

You EITHER do: 1B 1C 1P = Science D.A.
OR: 1B 2B 1C 2C 1P 1P = 3 sciences

So, you'll only get three IGCSEs.

Basically, the process goes that you firstly enter for the exam, and when you do this, you enter for '4SC0' (for Double Award) or for '4BI0', '4CH0' and '4PH0' (the three sciences). You cannot enter for Science DA AND for Biology, Chemistry and Physics – it's forbidden. From that, Edexcel enter you for the individual papers. But you certainly (and I am certain of this) cannot enter for 5 IGCSEs!

The new books: They're exactly the same as the old ones, but simply new editions – slight content inside may change according to the specification (though I'm not sure how much, if any, they changed – the fact is that the specifications have not changed much at all – and there's always extra stuff you don't need for the exam anyway thrown into the book).
If you want a stripped down guide to the exam, use the Revision Guides in combination with the Student Books (AND, USE THE SPECIFICATION – this is a vital part of 'learning for the exam')

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...s/Buy/Buy.aspx
MouseyBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

That's exactly the lot that I got. Working through that alongside the Edexcel syllabus you can download covers everything perfectly.

You can do some of the questions and Bitesize tests at the end of each mini unit. I got the revision guides that do with them, too. You only need to go through the main books once, for understanding things, after that the revision ones are fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.19%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (642)
49.23%

Watched Threads