Photography a dead Field?

Watch
ConsiderScience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was wondering what your thoughts were on photography being or not being a dead field? Do you think the field of photography will soon be irrelevant in various industries where they were previously common?
Can photography as an industry survive the rise in technology making it easier and easier to edit photos and making it cheaper?

mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, at least a dying field. Nowadays everyone can take great photos and apply filters.
cmdrhomer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
Yes, at least a dying field. Nowadays everyone can take great photos and apply filters.
That only depends on what type of photography each individual are good at, not "everyone" have a great eye for photos. The majority are crap....
cmdrhomer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Though you can earn a lot with Commercial Photography, but example "Fine Art" would be very hard to earn a living on.
Yux
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Life has to move with the times...apparently in primary school nowadays they're teaching kids computing and software programming? Thats going to be the future...and in the 1970s, all women were taught home economics...on a side note: for all art related subjects in general, do people honestly expect to work in that field for their whole lives?...freelance pay means infrequent work so how would you save money for the future?
muffingg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Photography is still a field that isn't dying. While at university I earned a lot of money from commercial photography by covering events and winning landscape photography competitions. It probably isn't that easy to make a living from it, but certainly not everyone can take great photos. Check out Instagram and other such nonsense, which is full of horrible photos.

It depends a lot on the editing nowadays.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nowadays it's not about the editing, or the equipment you've got, or even your ability to take photos. It's entirely about your networking and social skills. I've seen people take awful photographs on massively unsympathetic mediums and sell them for huge prices to unsuspecting punters.
Kokomi-Chan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, yes & no. As said above, anyone these days can take a 'good' photo. Here's a good example;
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1684761&type=1

It was a french photo competition, and I will say I do not agree with some of the winners. Well, considering the fact it was supposedly judged by a 'professional' photographer.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eh ... no. The notion that anyone can take great pictures with filters is pretty ridiculous.

While in contrast to decades ago, when one had to at least understand the basics of exposure to take a decent picture, modern technology allows anyone to take a properly exposed and sharp picture with their phone, I have yet to see a truly great picture made by someone without an understanding of photography. There are more people nowadays who can take decent pictures, but the highest categories (NatGeo quality) are pretty much unchanged - professionals with professional gear.

In the future there is still a need for high quality photography in fashion and advertising, for magazines and the internet, for the press (documentation), for documentaries about nature and wildlife (and so on), and only a tiny minority of that can be covered by teenage girls with an iPhone.

So no, photography is definitely no dying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.42%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (254)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.51%

Watched Threads