The Student Room Group

Angry Father Tells Woman On Train To Sit Down. Was He Right or Wrong

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by caseyfattey69
oh so you're saying we should let whores be who they are? you left wing feminists all say the same thing.

Why exactly shouldn't we 'let whores be who they are'? Do you even have an argument?
The bitch was looking for attention and she got it. Probably wasn't the sort of attention she wanted but oh well.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Firstly whats with all the slut shaming on this thread , have we not got the stage where its equally as acceptable for women to parade themselves about and be promiscuous as men ? You people are disappointing , just because she is wearing short shorts it doesn't make her a whore and doesn't justify using such sexist foul language against someone who did you no wrong , if she wants to walk in circles she can ****ing walk in circles . This is a free country , not some Islamic state .

If I was there I would probably tell the guy to go **** himself , if she was lapdancing on his kid thats another story but she wasn't doing anyone any harm . He probably isn't getting any so gets mad when its waved in his face.

They were short but its not like they're that uncommon , just go out on a Friday night . Get with the times . this isn't the 1600s . Women can wear whatever they want . just like men do.

She is wearing a skirt. Her underwear (assuming she is wearing any, which appears to be unlikely) is clearly visible, even in the poor quality of the filming. If a man was to wear any item of clothing that allowed his nether regions to be visible, that would be just as much of an issue. Dressing indecently is an affront to public order and the right of the public (and in particular, children) to be protected from such images in areas where it is not to be expected is more important than the right of a person to dress in a way that would put the public at such a risk. That doesn't make our society Islamic, it makes our society decent.

I do not condone confrontational language towards any person. Her "walking in circles" could be construed as an attempt to attract attention, which would suggest she is intending to make the train ride uncomfortable for the members of the carriage and hence deserves to be addressed, but certainly not assaulted verbally. However, please do not make this a "it'd be okay if it was a guy" issue. It wouldn't be. It would probably be construed as less sexual, which is a sexist issue in itself, but it would not be construed as any more or less decent. People would be just as offended. That is the truth.
Original post by Agapelove
I would pray for him, because obviously a man who would do such a thing has serious issues. If my husband were present, I would ask my husband to kindly speak to him to see what is the matter and if I should call the police.

Teaching your children to call people insulting names doesn't help the world be a better place. The man could have done much better by telling the woman in a kind way that her dress and her actions are bothering him. By being kind, he could have opened the door to understanding why she was dressing and behaving in such a manner. What trauma led her to behave in this way and dress this way?

There is always a reason for someone's dress and conduct.

Well personally i think she is dressed the way she is and is acting in the manner she does, because she is a whore. An actual whore, as in sells her body for money.

Someone calling a whore a whore in front of a child will have no effect with regards to making the world a better place. We all learn what a whore is at some point in our lives and it's not exactly something to aspire to.

Maybe if it was his daughter there, she would remember from that experience and not become a whore later on in life. Semi-srs.
Reply 84
Original post by Ronove
Why exactly shouldn't we 'let whores be who they are'? Do you even have an argument?

This woman is a prostitute looking for punters....
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
The bitch was looking for attention and she got it. Probably wasn't the sort of attention she wanted but oh well.

lol repped
Reply 86
I would buy him a drink we need more people like him.
Reply 87
Original post by Fireking
This woman is a prostitute looking for punters....

We got that a while ago. What is your point?
Original post by Ronove
It would now appear to me that you genuinely thought your comparison of dressing 'sluttily' on public transportation to turning up at a funeral in a Spiderman costume was valid.

You are invited to a funeral, a private event, by friends or relatives who are likely in considerable emotional distress due to the fact that one of their loved ones has just died. There is an implied (and widely agreed upon) dress code at a funeral, and if you do not follow it you are likely going to seriously hurt your (potentially somewhat irrational) friend or relative. If you don't follow the dress code then you can be asked to leave, since it is a private event, and you'd (rightly) be perceived as intending to hurt your friend or relative's feelings at the worst possible time.

On public transportation you wear whatever you are planning to wear when you arrive at your destination, as far as possible. People's perception of what is 'decent' varies wildly. What do you propose should be the agreed dress code on a train? Where do we all sign?

I think you'll find that almost everyone (perhaps apart from you - you're entitled to your view) would agree that what the woman in that video was wearing was indecent. We're not talking about someone wearing something mildly alternative, we're talking about someone on the verge of public indecency. Wearing a 'dress' that is so short it has a propensity to ride up over your arse is not within any reasonable and able-sighted person's idea of 'decent'. She looked like she was on her way to a brothel.

Yes, it's public transport. There are minimal standards of decency which are socially acceptable in public spaces, never mind when trapped in close proximity on a train. Knowingly and openly flouting those standards is just disrespectful toward your fellow passengers, and I fail to see why anybody who does so can reasonably expect to be respected themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matthewduncan
I know this video is a couple of years old but do you agree what he did or not?
Personally if i was with my daughter I would have had a word and asked her to sit down.
Probably wouldnt have called her a whore (unless she refused of course) but i would have said something.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdsBd6dmcQ

Woah! I've never seen that video before... But yeah she was being indecent and if I was there with a child I would try and distract the child, not shout at her and ESPECIALLY not call her a whore. Too far, I think.

Theres better ways of dealing with things. Plus, he's just teaching his children to swear and belittle people, and that verbally abusing women is ok. Pretty sure he wouldn't have shouted at a man if his bum crack was showing lol :colondollar:
Original post by Ronove
It would now appear to me that you genuinely thought your comparison of dressing 'sluttily' on public transportation to turning up at a funeral in a Spiderman costume was valid.

You are invited to a funeral, a private event, by friends or relatives who are likely in considerable emotional distress due to the fact that one of their loved ones has just died. There is an implied (and widely agreed upon) dress code at a funeral, and if you do not follow it you are likely going to seriously hurt your (potentially somewhat irrational) friend or relative. If you don't follow the dress code then you can be asked to leave, since it is a private event, and you'd (rightly) be perceived as intending to hurt your friend or relative's feelings at the worst possible time.

On public transportation you wear whatever you are planning to wear when you arrive at your destination, as far as possible. People's perception of what is 'decent' varies wildly. What do you propose should be the agreed dress code on a train? Where do we all sign?

Should I be allowed to be naked in public? I only ask because I want to see where YOU would draw the line on appropriate dress, or whether you think that absolutely any state of dress or undress is acceptable. And if it is the latter then I'd have to say I disagree with you. It is not appropriate to dress the way she did, in such a way that means that there was very real risk of her bare arse/underwear being exposed in public.

The mans behaviour? Unacceptable insofar as he hurled verbal abuse at her, but I stand by my view that he wasn't neccessrily wrong to bring up the fact that she was dressed inappropriately in public.
Original post by justlollypopx
Woah! I've never seen that video before... But yeah she was being indecent and if I was there with a child I would try and distract the child, not shout at her and ESPECIALLY not call her a whore. Too far, I think.

Theres better ways of dealing with things. Plus, he's just teaching his children to swear and belittle people, and that verbally abusing women is ok. Pretty sure he wouldn't have shouted at a man if his bum crack was showing lol :colondollar:

I definitely would have. That **** is just plain wrong
Reply 92
I would have gave her ****ing kick up her ass -.-

Spoiler

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Firstly whats with all the slut shaming on this thread , have we not got the stage where its equally as acceptable for women to parade themselves about and be promiscuous as men ? You people are disappointing , just because she is wearing short shorts it doesn't make her a whore and doesn't justify using such sexist foul language against someone who did you no wrong , if she wants to walk in circles she can ****ing walk in circles . This is a free country , not some Islamic state .

If I was there I would probably tell the guy to go **** himself , if she was lapdancing on his kid thats another story but she wasn't doing anyone any harm . He probably isn't getting any so gets mad when its waved in his face.

They were short but its not like they're that uncommon , just go out on a Friday night . Get with the times . this isn't the 1600s . Women can wear whatever they want . just like men do.

This isn't just a woman who is wearing a short skirt and getting unwanted attention in the street though is it, she's deliberately drawing attention to herself in an inappropriate environment. If I was on that train with my child I wouldn't have been happy at all. I'm pretty sure that if I got up and started waving my behind around like she is, I'd get torn apart within seconds.

Slut shaming isn't the issue here; you can't expose yourself inappropriately in front of children and justify it as being your right as a modern woman living in a free country, and you certainly can't just accuse people of slut shaming for telling you so.

Although I do agree with you that it was not right for the man to deal with the situation like that, calling her a whore is unacceptable.

(just noticed how long this thread already is, feel free to ignore this if you've already had this discussion with other posters earlier in the thread)
Reply 94
Original post by bad_moose
This isn't just a woman who is wearing a short skirt and getting unwanted attention in the street though is it, she's deliberately drawing attention to herself in an inappropriate environment. If I was on that train with my child I wouldn't have been happy at all. I'm pretty sure that if I got up and started waving my behind around like she is, I'd get torn apart within seconds.

Slut shaming isn't the issue here; you can't expose yourself inappropriately in front of children and justify it as being your right as a modern woman living in a free country, and you certainly can't just accuse people of slut shaming for telling you so.

Although I do agree with you that it was not right for the man to deal with the situation like that, calling her a whore is unacceptable.

(just noticed how long this thread already is, feel free to ignore this if you've already had this discussion with other posters earlier in the thread)

This.

Wth was she walking around in circles, in heels for???

Fair enough, she could have been sitting down where no-one could have been able to see her butt-cheeks.. but no, she displays them to the rest of the train like the whore she is.
I wouldn't go as far as to call her a whore but she was dressing and acting like one.

The man has anger issues though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I dress as a police officer should I complain if people treat me like one?
Original post by DErasmus

repped
Reply 98
Original post by DErasmus

I was under the impression that treating a whore like a whore involved paying her for sex, not shouting at her on public transport.

Nice try though.
Original post by Ronove
I was under the impression that treating a whore like a whore involved paying her for sex, not shouting at her on public transport.

Nice try though.

So what? Some people beat up police officers instead of asking them for help, people don't just have one function.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending