When is a sport not a sport?

Watch
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Where do you draw the line with what is a sport?

Some people refer to darts and pool as sports but others disagree through lack of physical exertion.

And what about motorsport?
Some say it's not a sport because the car is often the deciding factor.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
When it's ajar. (i.e. "a jar")

Edit: no, hang on.
InsertWittyName
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I draw the line at esports. Playing League of Legends for a living *does not* make you an athlete.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by InsertWittyName)
I draw the line at esports. Playing League of Legends for a living *does not* make you an athlete.
Would you say the same for chess?
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Motosports. No exercise involved for the drivers but the people in the pit crew exercise alot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rooster523
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
Motosports. No exercise involved for the drivers but the people in the pit crew exercise alot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're kidding right?
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rooster523)
You're kidding right?
Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Motorbiker
Rep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you ever looked into the fitness of F1 drivers?

Their heart rate will be at 170+ for almost two straight hours and they'll lose kgs of sweat. It's ridiculously tough on their bodies.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Have you ever looked into the fitness of F1 drivers?

Their heart rate will be at 170+ for almost two straight hours and they'll lose kgs of sweat. It's ridiculously tough on their bodies.
Oh wow. They must eat a ton of food then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Motorbiker
Rep:
Oh wow. They must eat a ton of food then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, they're all very very lean. they have to be to save weight.

Put it this way, Jenson Button finished an Ironman triathalon in 4 hours 29 minutes. That's enough to qualify him for the triathalon world championships and he does this just to stay fit enough to race his f1 car to the best of his ability.
Motorbiker
Rep:
(Original post by InsertWittyName)
Ok, so do you draw the line at physical exertion then?

Would you count darts as a sport? Snooker?
username1431463
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

A sport isn't just an activity that challenges the body, it's about how you mentally deal with situations as well. So you can practically count chess and snooker as sports, that's my logic anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FireGarden
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
For me, the difference between games and sports is the amount of luck involved. In perfect play, sports have no luck at all. As a consequence even games like Connect 4 become sports, but I think it's still a good distinction. I say perfect play (i.e., the player has perfect control within the game) as, well, people aren't perfect and they do rely on luck in matches - you definitely see 'lucky' goals or baskets occasionally in football and basketball respectively. The important thing is it's not built into the game, via dice rolls, shuffled decks, spinning wheels, etc.
InsertWittyName
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
Would you say the same for chess?
Personally, yes. I wouldn't consider chess a sport. More of a game or activity. There are only a finite number of predetermined moves on each turn, and does not require any real range of motions from the player.

I wouldn't call it a line, more of a spectrum. While I don't see darts and snooker as 'sporty' sports in the sense that the overall effort level is much lower, they do require actual precision and accuracy from the muscles used. So yes, I'd consider snooker and darts sports.

I'd say the main feature of a sport is probably that the skill of the athlete is does derive in some way from their muscles- in terms of precision, endurance, strength etc.
Yay😊
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Do u class golf as a sport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
President Snow
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think that a sport requires the perfection of physical actions. Not anybody could kick a football into a goal - it requires massive amounts of practice of the physical action of kicking. Not everybody could take a golf swing, hit a snooker ball with amazing precision, or have enough hand eye co-ordination to control an F1 car.

However, anybody can move a chess piece. The skill in chess isn't physical, it's entirely mental therefore in my opinion not a sport. Sports need that physical element IMO.
Yay😊
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Not everyone can finish a biology exam well and that also requires skill and precision so do u class that as a sport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yay😊
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Definition - activity for pleasure, competition or exercise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vanny17
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I feel that sports requires skills such as determination, agility, mental stamina, coordination, teamwork, muscular fortitude and flexibility. I would say that darts and pool requires accuracy, precision and balance whilst motosport requires mental stamina, determination and endurance.
Motorbiker
Rep:
The gf thought that sport was when athleticism was needed to do well.

She said snooker wasn't because they weren't athletes, they had skill but they're not athletes.

Sports like football or f1 required both athleticism and skill.

She blamed this on school sports day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (117)
34.31%
Yes - a trusted person (92)
26.98%
No (90)
26.39%
I'm not sure (42)
12.32%

Watched Threads