The Student Room Group

When is a sport not a sport?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
The definition of sports has been molded too much too be honest I mean wtf why even call it E-Sports. IT's not a bloody sport. Competition =/= sportJust call it a game lol

What would you define sport as then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh I'd count the dancing as a sport, and depending on what the circus tricks are they could be as well. E. G. slack lining is a sport.

But now you're just arbitrarily allowing some activities and not others. That's not a very logical way of constructing a watertight definition.
Original post by MrKappa
This would be a great time to point out that i have no idea why dressage is in the Olympics.

I'd also like to see synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics thrown out.

:eek::confused: These things take tons of skill! The people that take part in the olympics for these sports have usually been training for all of their lives.

(Sorry for grammar or typos or anything, i'm really tired! :smile:)
Original post by cole-slaw
But now you're just arbitrarily allowing some activities and not others. That's not a very logical way of constructing a watertight definition.

It's not arbitrary i just didn't explain it. I think sports need to have some clear set of rules that govern how you play and how you score/win. That's why i'd allow any type of organised fighting other than "pub carpark fighting". They may well up just doing MMA, a sport, but there's no-one there to check.

ballroom dancing.circus tricks.

Dancing is a sport, Can be judged/scored as such. Some circus "tricks" can as well.

Battle of the bands. the x-factor.

These are musical competitions. Annoyingly they fit my current definition but we all know they're a subset of physical competition with different rules.

competitive masturbation.

That's just unacceptable socially. You never know, some people may do this and other competitive sexual activity but that's a part of the internet i don't want to visit.
Reply 44
Original post by Oceansandpearls
:eek::confused: These things take tons of skill! The people that take part in the olympics for these sports have usually been training for all of their lives.

(Sorry for grammar or typos or anything, i'm really tired! :smile:)

I'm not debating that they don't take huge amounts of skill, but for me there's just not enough physical excellence needed to warrant being in the olympics...sorry :colondollar:
Sport isn't a sport when it's not a sport. Until the point where sport stops being a sport, the sport is a sport. I'm currently making a sport of saying sport as any times as is reasonably possible. It's a sport. Not a recognised sport, but a sport nonetheless.
It's not arbitrary i just didn't explain it. I think sports need to have some clear set of rules that govern how you play and how you score/win. That's why i'd allow any type of organised fighting other than "pub carpark fighting". They may well up just doing MMA, a sport, but there's no-one there to check.

ballroom dancing.circus tricks.

Dancing is a sport, Can be judged/scored as such. Some circus "tricks" can as well.

Battle of the bands. the x-factor.

These are musical competitions. Annoyingly they fit my current definition but we all know they're a subset of physical competition with different rules.

competitive masturbation.

That's just unacceptable socially. You never know, some people may do this and other competitive sexual activity but that's a part of the internet i don't want to visit.

Would that not suggest to you that you need to change your definition?
I define sport as something that requires a perfection of physical and/or mental endurance in a fast-paced and competitive environment.

So I would accept the typical range of athletic sports as such, but I'd also include eSports within this category whilst excluding chess, darts, snooker etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cole-slaw
Would that not suggest to you that you need to change your definition?

Just add a sub-clause of "Exlcuding musical contests" :wink:

Original post by Architecture-er
I define sport as something that requires a perfection of physical and/or mental endurance in a fast-paced and competitive environment.

So I would accept the typical range of athletic sports as such, but I'd also include eSports within this category whilst excluding chess, darts, snooker etc.

You've not Seen Ronnie play. He's very fast-paced and competitiive.

Action starts 1 minute in for this break. 147 break in just over 5 minutes.

how can you not say these fit the fast-paced competitive environment? you've obviously never seen darts, its played at a faster pace than many typical sports!
Just add a sub-clause of "Exlcuding musical contests" :wink:

You've not Seen Ronnie play. He's very fast-paced and competitiive.

Action starts 1 minute in for this break. 147 break in just over 5 minutes.

Original post by bluester
how can you not say these fit the fast-paced competitive environment? you've obviously never seen darts, its played at a faster pace than many typical sports!

My point isn't the speed at which they can play, but the speed at which they must. If they want to they can consider every shot carefully without being left behind by their opponent like they would be in eSports, or more conventional sports like football, tennis, squash and so on

edit: you call that snooker fast-paced, for example, and to me that just demonstrates how slow normal snooker is :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
My point isn't the speed at which they can play, but the speed at which they must. If they want to they can consider every shot carefully without being left behind by their opponent like they would be in eSports, or more conventional sports like football, tennis, squash and so on

edit: you call that snooker fast-paced, for example, and to me that just demonstrates how slow normal snooker is :lol:

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-sport/snooker-ronnie-o-sullivan-in-top-gear

From 7:30 in that video for Ronnie at full speed. Can he pot them all before his car does a ;ap of the top gear track?

There are plenty of sports where you can take your time and aim. Many shooting sports, golf etc you can still be skilled without having toi be skilled very quickly.

I disagree with that argument tbh, but out of interest, where do you stand on golf then?
http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-sport/snooker-ronnie-o-sullivan-in-top-gear

From 7:30 in that video for Ronnie at full speed. Can he pot them all before his car does a ;ap of the top gear track?

There are plenty of sports where you can take your time and aim. Many shooting sports, golf etc you can still be skilled without having toi be skilled very quickly.

Ah, but I wouldn't class golf or shooting as sports, either :wink:

Original post by bluester
I disagree with that argument tbh, but out of interest, where do you stand on golf then?

See above :smile:
Ah, but I wouldn't class golf or shooting as sports, either :wink:

See above :smile:

There's a scoring system, rules, and it's a competition. They sound like sports to me. Just not the kind of sports you would have seen in the ancient Olympics.
Original post by MrKappa
I'm not debating that they don't take huge amounts of skill, but for me there's just not enough physical excellence needed to warrant being in the olympics...sorry :colondollar:

I'd still have to disagree- rhythmic gymnatics requires flexibility, strength, stamina, coordination, and balance. (These are just the things that I can think of off the top of my head, I don't do rhythmic gymnastics.) I would say having all of these is physical excellence.

Edit: I guess its an opinion thing though, I enjoy watching some sports more than others and I would say that the sports that I like are more intresting. I guess its just how you personally define interesting- or in this case physically excellent that decides whether you think it should be a sport or not. :smile:

(Again, sorry for spelling and grammar and such, i'm still really tired! xD)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by MrKappa
This would be a great time to point out that i have no idea why dressage is in the Olympics.

I'd also like to see synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics thrown out.

How can you say that?!? They all require skill and have you ever tried synchronised swimming!?! It is one of the best ways to keep fit!! I know several guys who have done it only for that reason!! Personally if you can get out of breath doing a sport then it is a sport in my opinion
Original post by desdemonata
There's a scoring system, rules, and it's a competition. They sound like sports to me. Just not the kind of sports you would have seen in the ancient Olympics.

Well since the title of this thread is "when is a sport not a sport" - I felt invited to explain what I personally thought a sport should be classified as :wink:
Reply 58
Original post by Oceansandpearls
I'd still have to disagree- rhythmic gymnatics requires flexibility, strength, stamina, coordination, and balance. (These are just the things that I can think of off the top of my head, I don't do rhythmic gymnastics.) I would say having all of these is physical excellence.

Edit: I guess its an opinion thing though, I enjoy watching some sports more than others and I would say that the sports that I like are more intresting. I guess its just how you personally define interesting- or in this case physically excellent that decides whether you think it should be a sport or not. :smile:

(Again, sorry for spelling and grammar and such, i'm still really tired! xD)

I think you need to go to bed :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest