The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Changing Course at Edinburgh

Hey!

I imagine this forum is swimming with these sort of threads but I wanted a personalized response. First, here are some breif details. I got ten A*s and two As at GCSE, four As at As-Level, an A* in an EPQ and am predicted anywhere between three As and three A*s at A2 (my report says A*s but it is far from certain) in History, Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

I applied to Edinburgh to read Philosophy and have received an AAB offer but have since had a change of heart and wish to change to Mathematics or Mathematics with Computer Science. I appreciate that Scottish universities are renowned for flexibility but I know that I am changing not only my subject but also my school. How much scope do you reckon there is for me being able to make such a change?

Furthermore, how renowned is Edinburgh for Maths and Comp Sci.? I was tempted to reapply to higher ranking universities but I checked the QS World Rankings this morning and Edinburgh is placed 5th and 3rd in the UK respectively. Can anyone share a more nuanced insight?

Thank you for any and all contributions,

JackHodgkinson
Reply 1
Hi,
if you have some qualifications in the field you want to transfer to, it's usually not a problem, just email them asap :smile: a guy in my class wanted to change from economics to chemistry couple of months into the first year, and they were still happy to discuss it with him (don't know how it ended up though) - so you should be fine.
As far as I know, the informatics department is one of the finest in Edinburgh (although I stopped overestimating this whole 'prestige phenomenon' :smile: )
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It'll largely depend upon whether your desired course is an MA or a BSc/MMath. Rather than ask a forum full of students you might want to actually call up or email the university about this as they are the only ones that will know.

Re: Their reputation. I don't know about mathematics but they are well renowned for their research in informatics (and not simply within Edinburgh, as the above poster appears to be saying).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending