The Student Room Group

Were GCSEs what you expected?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexeiLipov
What was wrong with Jamaica? I thought it was alright, though Unit 1 was dreadful and Unit 2 was not amazing either.

For unit 3 I was panicking a lot and when I was doing the first question I realised I made a mistake (misread the question). So I wrote my answer out again and realised I misread the question again. And I had like less than a line to write out something that was worth 4 marks -_-. I'm not sure if the examiner can read my handwriting after so many crossings and stuff :frown:. And then I forgot what import and export meant because I was so scared :facepalm:
Original post by TheBluePianist
For unit 3 I was panicking a lot and when I was doing the first question I realised I made a mistake (misread the question). So I wrote my answer out again and realised I misread the question again. And I had like less than a line to write out something that was worth 4 marks -_-. I'm not sure if the examiner can read my handwriting after so many crossings and stuff :frown:. And then I forgot what import and export meant because I was so scared :facepalm:

I hate it when that kind of thing happens, when I was doing my computing exam we had to write an algorithm for a 6 marker, I wrote one down and realised it was all wrong so I scribbled it all out and then I had to get extra paper to write down a working version but I realised that I got that wrong too so I scribbled that page out too, I put my final answer on the second page of the extra booklet and I still think it was wrong lol. Panic in exams is the worst.. It's much harder to think when you've only got 10 minutes left compared to when you're sitting at home :frown: I'm sure you did fine though, it was only one question!
Original post by AlexeiLipov
I hate it when that kind of thing happens, when I was doing my computing exam we had to write an algorithm for a 6 marker, I wrote one down and realised it was all wrong so I scribbled it all out and then I had to get extra paper to write down a working version but I realised that I got that wrong too so I scribbled that page out too, I put my final answer on the second page of the extra booklet and I still think it was wrong lol. Panic in exams is the worst.. It's much harder to think when you've only got 10 minutes left compared to when you're sitting at home :frown: I'm sure you did fine though, it was only one question!

Geography is one of my weakest subjects lol, hopefully I can get a B. Even if you got the answer wrong for computing you might get a few marks for it :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by miyyla
I do wjec history and I really enjoyed the Russia paper! Nothing crazy. America was ok and I didn't really feel anything towards the SA paper. I thought the papers were all ok but I'm still of course hoping for low grade boundaries to get an A

It was just the last question about what did the Bolsheviks control that threw most people. Didn't do the America, what was the SA paper? Grade boundaries hopefully low for the both of us.
Original post by BBeyond
disappointed i ****ed up business studies unit 1, may cost me an A* I should have gotten with ease :frown:

I second this. I'm 100% sure I got an A* in Unit 3 and I've already bagged one in another unit. Funny how I'm good at written examination but rubbish at multiple choice questions. I don't like how there could easily be two answers for some questions for example.
Original post by HeskeyLAD
I second this. I'm 100% sure I got an A* in Unit 3 and I've already bagged one in another unit. Funny how I'm good at written examination but rubbish at multiple choice questions. I don't like how there could easily be two answers for some questions for example.

yeah that's how i ****ed up as well :frown: the determination/leadership question really ****ed me over haha. fairly sure i got full ums on the unit 3 paper, so who knows
Original post by BBeyond
yeah that's how i ****ed up as well :frown: the determination/leadership question really ****ed me over haha. fairly sure i got full ums on the unit 3 paper, so who knows

That caught me out as well ffs. I think I lost about 6 to 8 marks, which definitely isn't an A*.
That caught me out as well ffs. I think I lost about 6 to 8 marks, which definitely isn't an A*.

It didn't go that badly for me, I think I dropped 3 or 4 marks, but that would probably be a B :frown:
Original post by BBeyond
It didn't go that badly for me, I think I dropped 3 or 4 marks, but that would probably be a B :frown:

Well I got the first one wrong so I think you get the idea xD

I reckon that could be an A. Definitely harder than last year. Last year was really easy. Like, seriously easy.

To get an A* you can only afford to lose 20 UMS I think, and I have a feeling I've lost most of it in Unit 1.
Reply 89
I don't think I did too well, however considering I thought I did craply on the mocks (and ended up all A*s except for 1 A), and thought I mucked up the science ISAs (got 100UMS in all), and thought I screwed up a mock FSMQ paper (got 93/100), yet I thought I did brilliantly on the history coursework and got a B, I would see it that if I think I did badly I did well.

Damnit.

The ones I am confident in are P1 & P3 (I think I may have dropped 1/2 marks in P1, possibly, and maybe 5 in P3), B1, B2, B3 (B1 I think I may have dropped 1, about 5 in B2 and possibly 3/4 in B3), FSMQ (Ok, sure, I may have dropped like 15 here, but normally the GB are like 61/100), English Lit Paper 1 (Really liked the poems, may have only dropped like 4 over all), and History Paper 2 (Really liked the sources).

The ones I think I did badly on are P2 (probably just nerves, when I think over it I may have only dropped like 10/12 marks, which while compared to some is bad, it should still be an A* or at minimum an A), English Lit Paper 2 (it was hailing and thundering during it, and it was an afternoon exam :frown:. Analysis of basically every question was bad, may have dropped like 15/20 marks (hopefully still get B/A, if I get A* and A* in the coursework it should be A* overall)), History Paper 1 (In all honesty I cannot remember any of the paper, other than I wrote 10A, crossed out the answer and wrote 11A without scribbling in the 10A bit), the two German papers (German is my worst subject, but the Reading one was quite nice).

Hopefully it should be fine. Even if not, I already have 3A*s and 1A, so even if I get all Bs that is still like 3A*s 1A and 7Bs which is quite respectable anyway.

Edit: Forgot about Chemistry; I think I did reasonably well on C2 & C3, and on C1 I think I did quite well (not as well as Biology and Physics) but lost a few marks (was it Cu2 or 2Cu?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Well I got the first one wrong so I think you get the idea xD

I reckon that could be an A. Definitely harder than last year. Last year was really easy. Like, seriously easy.

To get an A* you can only afford to lose 20 UMS I think, and I have a feeling I've lost most of it in Unit 1.

:O Isn't the unit 3 exam worth 50% though? Hopefully that will work in our favour.
Original post by BBeyond
:O Isn't the unit 3 exam worth 50% though? Hopefully that will work in our favour.

Yeah let's hope so. Pretty sure I got near 100 UMS or at least very close. 25% is still a fairly big chunk though for Unit 1.
Yeah let's hope so. Pretty sure I got near 100 UMS or at least very close. 25% is still a fairly big chunk though for Unit 1.

It's bull**** tbh, it doesn't test knowledge at all, merely your ability to pick between 2 debatable choices, so basically luck.
Reply 93
Original post by thechemistress
Erm. You can't revise something you haven't learnt. Unless you mean to say that you've already learnt the entire A-Level syllabus? xD

A levels will actually make you cry :') I am drowning in revision right now.
Original post by alannahp
A levels will actually make you cry :') I am drowning in revision right now.

Very supportive!
Reply 95
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Very supportive!

your welcome :wink: just try to keep on top of everything, the earlier you learn it, the more likely it will stay inyour head!
Gcse Biology was what I found to be surprisingly harder than expected. To be honest I was dreading Chemistry but it turned out better than I thought!
Original post by blondelocks
Physics (ocr 21st century) was incredibly difficult for GCSE and rather obscure, although everyone seems to agree so don't know what'll happen there. Other than that they were as I expected.

P123 was disgraceful XD I'm guessing the grade boundaries will be reeally low :smile:
English lit,english lang,re and physics were as expected.chemistry and biology were harder. Finally maths, geography and business studies were easier than expected
Reply 99
Original post by blondelocks
Physics (ocr 21st century) was incredibly difficult for GCSE and rather obscure, although everyone seems to agree so don't know what'll happen there. Other than that they were as I expected.

Incredibly easy you mean. Everyone in my year reckons they got an A*!

Quick Reply

Latest