The Student Room Group

Iraq crisis: Tony Blair must surely now be arrested for war crimes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I disagree with the implication of the thread that what is happening in Iraq now is definitive evidence that Blair should be prosecuted for war crimes. This is not the case: there's been definitive evidence that he is a criminal for more than 10 years now.

Original post by Rakas21
'No'. The Iraq war was justified.

Despite the deaths of 600,000 civilians and millions more displaced? I think not.

Original post by Rakas21
While many people seem to point blame at Blair for invasion on shaky evidence i say that Saddam's crimes against Kuwait were unforgivable and that when 'Chemical Ali' gassed these people with Saddam's authorisation, at that point he committed genocide and should have been declared a traitor to his species.

Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons attacks were defended and supported by the United States and Britain.

Original post by Rakas21
Further, given that the security council gives a voice to Russia and China i see little reason to endorse it's supreme validity, indeed the UN itself gives North Korea and Iran a platform among others.

Russia and China would, in turn, state that the Security Council gives a voice to the United States, who support Israeli apartheid in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, who were the architects behind the genocidal policy of sanctions against Iraq during the 1990s, and who supported terrorists in Nicaragua in the 1980s.

Original post by Rakas21
As for the current troubles in Iraq, while the invasion did somewhat make the region unstable i don't see how Blair can be held responsible for the ongoing Sunni-Shia civil war which is by extension a proxy war between extremist elements in Iran and Saudi Arabia. The terrorists are simply lucky that we live in an age where civilians are protected.

Blair's illegal war perversely inspired sectarian violence and made the world a less safe place.

The bulk of your post seemed to be operating on the assumption that Blair and Bush went into Iraq for the Iraqi people. They did not: the war was about oil, as numerous American officials, including Chuck Hagel and John Abizaid, have admitted. Humanitarian concerns did not really factor into their decision and, as a result, we've all seen the disastrous consequences. Going to war against another nation for resources is the very definition of a crime.

As Benjamin B. Ferencz, a chief prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials said, “a prima facie case can be made that the United States [and Britain] is guilty of the supreme crime against humanity, that being an illegal war of aggression against a sovereign nation.”
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
QFA

I disagree with the implication of the thread that what is happening in Iraq now is definitive evidence that Blair should be prosecuted for war crimes. This is not the case: there's been definitive evidence that he is a criminal for more than 10 years now.

Subjective.

Despite the deaths of 600,000 civilians and millions more displaced? I think not.

Casualties of war. How many died under his rule, how many were oppressed by what was essentially a police state. How many were thrown at the Iranian border.

Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons attacks were defended and supported by the United States and Britain.

Against Iran (not that i agreed with that), yes. Against Kuwait, no. Regardless of which, retrospectively we can concretely say that he committed crimes against humanity. It is sad that that the first gulf war was unable to finish the job and remove Saddam.

Russia and China would, in turn, state that the Security Council gives a voice to the United States, who support Israeli apartheid in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, who were the architects behind the genocidal policy of sanctions against Iraq during the 1990s, and who supported terrorists in Nicaragua in the 1980s.

Indeed they would but then i'm not afraid to say that my loyalty is to the democratic free west (and indeed Israel). While this does not give them impunity it does allow me to turn up my nose at the thought that we should do as we're told by 2 nations on the UNSC who commit notable abuses of international law.

Blair's illegal war perversely inspired sectarian violence and made the world a less safe place.

To some degree but it was plainly clear by that point that the Sunni-Shia conflict was already apace and that Al Queda in the 90's had gained traction. Not entering Iraq in 2003 would not have saved Mali, Northern Nigeria, Libya, Syria or Yemen from being plagued by terrorists.

The bulk of your post seemed to be operating on the assumption that Blair and Bush went into Iraq for the Iraqi people. They did not: the war was about oil, as numerous American officials, including Chuck Hagel and John Abizaid, have admitted. Humanitarian concerns did not really factor into their decision and, as a result, we've all seen the disastrous consequences.

I'm well aware of that and indeed i don't necessarily oppose the idea however in this case we also managed to have secondary positive impacts via the creation of some kind of a democracy and the removal of a tyrant. Regardless of the means, the end is just. Poor planning for sure but no evidence of a war crime by Blair-Bush.

Going to war against another nation for resources is the very definition of a crime.

In todays world, sure. But i still believe that the world is better off without Saddam than with.

As Benjamin B. Ferencz, a chief prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials said, “a prima facie case can be made that the United States [and Britain] is guilty of the supreme crime against humanity, that being an illegal war of aggression against a sovereign nation.”

Innocent until proven guilty.
Original post by Carterj09
They invaded without even declaring war, which i think is illegal.

It isn't.
Reply 23
Original post by Rakas21
Subjective.

Objective, according to the UN Charter: the use of force by a state is prohibited by Article 2 (4) of the UN Charter, the only exceptions to which can come only after Security Council authorisation under Chapter VII (which was not obtained) or in self-defence against an armed attack by another state according to Article 51 (Iraq never attacked the United States or the United Kingdom). As Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary General at the time said on September 16th 2004: "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter. From our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal."

Original post by Rakas21
Casualties of war.

Unnecessary casualties, all for oil in an illegal and unnecessary war.

Original post by Rakas21
Indeed they would but then i'm not afraid to say that my loyalty is to the democratic free west (and indeed Israel). While this does not give them impunity it does allow me to turn up my nose at the thought that we should do as we're told by 2 nations on the UNSC who commit notable abuses of international law.

Loyalties are irrelevant. You seem to want to have it both ways: acknowledge the crimes committed by other states, but ignore the crimes committed by our own. Turning your nose up, again, means nothing. According to international law, which is the law of the land in the United States and is supposedly adhered to by Britain, the Iraq War was illegal and is a punishable crime. Even France and Germany refused to support the Iraq War. This isn't a case of autocrats vs. democrats.

Original post by Rakas21
To some degree but it was plainly clear by that point that the Sunni-Shia conflict was already apace and that Al Queda in the 90's had gained traction. Not entering Iraq in 2003 would not have saved Mali, Northern Nigeria, Libya, Syria or Yemen from being plagued by terrorists.

Entering Iraq clearly did not save Mali, Northern Nigeria, Syria or Yemen either. Entering Iraq, however, as the pro-war International Institute for Strategic Studies, for example, concluded, “galvanized” Al-Qaeda and “perversely inspired insurgent violence” there and indeed made the world a more dangerous place.

Original post by Rakas21
I'm well aware of that and indeed i don't necessarily oppose the idea however in this case we also managed to have secondary positive impacts via the creation of some kind of a democracy and the removal of a tyrant. Regardless of the means, the end is just.

The ends were hundreds of thousands of people killed, massive sectarian violence and millions displaced. The negative effects of the war far outweigh any positive effects of the war. The reason is simple: imperialism, over and over again, claims to have secondary positive impacts, but in reality, when humanitarian concerns are not a state's primary objective, the ends are, almost invariably, unjust.

To turn the argument of the kind that you and many others propogate on its head - the motives are irrelevant, just because the United States didn't mean for terrorism to get a massive boost as a result of the Iraq War, it was highly predictable and, regardless of the motives, the effects are there for everyone to see.

Original post by Rakas21
But i still believe that the world is better off without Saddam than with.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that this belief is irrational, given the aforementioned evidence.

Original post by Rakas21
Innocent until proven guilty.

He said that a case could be made and, according to international law, it seems to be irrefutable. They have been proven guilty, but they've been allowed to walk free because of their power.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by VeniViciVidi
It isn't.

No only that they failed to get proper authorization, and when they were turned down they just went ahead anyway
Reply 25
Original post by the mezzil
No, the Iraq war was probably illegal, but the current unrest is not solely Blair's/ Bush's fault. This was going to happen anyway, the USA left Iraq in 2011 in relative peace and stability.

Relative to what? The killing that went from from 2003-2010?

The civil war was inevitable regardless of the 2003 invasion. In fact its orgins start way back at the turn of the 19/20th century. Moreover, sunni and shia have been fighting each other for eons.

Did Saddam keep them in check? If he did, was the toppling of Saddam a catalyst for the violence which is currently being perpetrated?
Original post by tsr1269
Relative to what? The killing that went from from 2003-2010?

Did Saddam keep them in check? If he did, was the toppling of Saddam a catalyst for the violence which is currently being perpetrated?

Yes.

And no. Saddam merely suppressed. The problem and tension was still there, it was going to come out anyway. When Iraq, Israel and Syria was divided up between the french and British 100 years ago, no attention was paid to the various tribes and ethnic groups. This is why the tension has been long brewing and the the latest conflict has simply allowed the kettle to overboil. Different tribes, ethinicities and sects of religion want their own state/ form of government. Tony Blair has not caused the current problems, unless you are totally ignorant to middle eastern modern history, you would know this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imtelling
Now that Iraq has been plunged into full scale civil war, surely its now time to arrest Tony Blair for war crimes and send him to the Hague?

Yes, the true arcitects of the invasion and destabilisation of Iraq and the wider Middle East were the neo-cons and Zionists in the United states, but, Blair still played a massive role in deceiving the world that Suddam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction.

So, if the invasion wasn't enough to send him to the Hague, then surely this civil war is.

http://www.arrestblair.org

Critics of Blair like to flippantly endorse this suggestion of sending Blair to the Hague. I'm not entirely against it. I'd like to see the same judges who assessed the likes of Charles Taylor, Milosevic and Saddam Hussein view the case of Tony Blair, throw it out of court, and rightfully harangue the anti-war movement for wasting their time. People who cheaply compare Blair to these war criminals simply cannot be serious people. Whether you agree with the Iraq war or not, you must, surely, recognise it as a very hard decision, whose rightfulness and wrongfulness is not straightforward, even to the most moral and reasonable of thinkers. If you compare his decision to that of fascist rulers (such as Saddam Hussein and his Baath'ist contemporaries) who oppressed his people, committed genocide with, at the time, weapons of mass destruction, aggressively waged war with neighbours for no vaguely moral purpose, and ordered the direct execution rival politicians - if you honestly compare Blair's actions to these, then you must surely be exaggerating for political effect. Removing Saddam Hussein effectively liberated the most unspoken of oppressed minority in the world - the Kurdish people (at least the Jewish people have a state of their own). And one of the most heart-warming images were of their children greeting and waving at American soldiers - the murderer (who used poison gas bought with oil money) of their fathers was being brought to justice. You think this is nothing? Fine. But don't compare it to the actions of a war criminal.

Whether or not it was pragmatically intelligent to intervene (i.e. an appropriate use of the armed forces), the intention can never be cheapened and likened to those of a war criminal (unless you're a devoted conspiracy theorist). The religion and politics in the region are complex (and were complex before 9/11, when many religious extremists were already anti-west, and would be even without 21st/20th-century intervention [our intervention dates back to medieval times]). However, the intention of our intervention was to liberate, and it does not, and can never, serve as the justification of these extremist groups wishing to enslave their population under a narrow Islamic ideology. I only wish we'd finished the job properly in the 1990s. But at least the possibility of freedom exists now for Iraqis - a hope that simply did not exist during the horrific rule of Hussein and his crime family. Terms such as "evil" and "war crime" should not be used lightly - and I don't think much of people who use them in the case of Tony Blair. They need a reality-check. Domestically, Blair was progressive; on matters abroad, he was divisive - but don't question the man's integrity just because you disagree with his tough post-9/11 choices.

All the above even assumes that the intention was regime change - it doesn't even assume that Blair had to genuinely believe what all intelligence agencies were reporting about weapons of mass destruction (not just British and American sources, but French and other European intelligence sources too; as well as his historical use of such weapons, and evidence of his intention to create them)..

I could write for hours about the delusions of the vocal minority's characterisation of Blair, but I shan't.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by the mezzil
Yes.

That can hardly be used as a justification, can it? Why not compare the killing rate when Saddam was in power?

And no. Saddam merely suppressed. The problem and tension was still there, it was going to come out anyway. When Iraq, Israel and Syria was divided up between the french and British 100 years ago, no attention was paid to the various tribes and ethnic groups. This is why the tension has been long brewing and the the latest conflict has simply allowed the kettle to overboil. Different tribes, ethinicities and sects of religion want their own state/ form of government. Tony Blair has not caused the current problems, unless you are totally ignorant to middle eastern modern history, you would know this.

The problem is not with borders nor tribes or ethnicities or even religion. The problem is with central government. People can live under one nation with devolved power given to governorships which will pacify the people of that area but no, the Western system of democracy is apparently the best where everything comes from the top down! Well, guess what? It hasn't worked well in Iraq and it sure as hell doesn't seem to be working for the UK.
Reply 29
Original post by Melancholy

Blair invaded a sovereign country and massacred its inhabitants. He destabilised Iraq, and now it's in full blown civil war.

Yet, for all of the carnage he has unleashed, he still hasn't had enough. He's been all over the news toady saying he wants to invade all over again.

The guy is mentally ill and out of control. Arrest Blair!

Original post by imtelling
Blair invaded a sovereign country and massacred its inhabitants. He destabilised Iraq, and now it's in full blown civil war.

Yet, for all of the carnage he has unleashed, he still hasn't had enough. He's been all over the news toady saying he wants to invade all over again.

The guy is mentally ill and out of control. Arrest Blair!

Blair, among many other leaders, invaded a sovereign country. And? Why should that have any moral effect or evoke any emotion from me? Most wars involve the use of armed force in sovereign territories. We invaded Germany during the two world wars during the last century (none of which, strictly, were defensive as far as our own territory was concerned, initially at least).

Iraq was already a ticking timebomb. What? You think the sunnis and shia population would forget the unequal treatment under Saddam's rule - never mind the Kurds. You think Saddam would be in control forever?

As for casualities - they are to be expected in a war; but you'll probably find that most civilian casualities are due to divisive terrorist forces coming into the area (often sponsored by neighbouring states) actively targeting combatants and non-combatants. I don't think that a serious person can, without ridicule, compare the war aims and methods of western forces with the Iraqi so-called "resistance" (made up largely of opposing Baathist fascists and opportunist religious extremists). And for every casuality of the Iraq war there would be, undoubtedly, an untold death at the hands of Saddam Hussein in the chapter of "What If" Iraqi history, had Saddam been left in power.

Blair does not appear to be a man who is "mentally ill" and "out of control". Can any serious thinking person conclude that? Indeed, his composure and arguments are rather less reactionary and rather more eloquent than a lot of the drivel blurted out on this thread. Fair enough, disagree with the man; but don't just shout out clichéd insults - it just indicates that you're not ready to sit at the adults' table.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Melancholy
Blair, among many other leaders, invaded a sovereign country. And? Why should that have any moral effect or evoke any emotion from me? Most wars involve the use of armed force in sovereign territories. We invaded Germany during the two world wars during the last century (none of which, strictly, were defensive as far as our own territory was concerned, initially at least).

Iraq was already a ticking timebomb. What? You think the sunnis and shia population would forget the unequal treatment under Saddam's rule - never mind the Kurds. You think Saddam would be in control forever?

As for casualities - they are to be expected in a war; but you'll probably find that most civilian casualities are due to divisive terrorist forces coming into the area (often sponsored by neighbouring states) actively targeting combatants and non-combatants. I don't think that a serious person can, without ridicule, compare the war aims and methods of western forces with the Iraqi so-called "resistance" (made up largely of opposing Baathist fascists and opportunist religious extremists). And for every casuality of the Iraq war there would be, undoubtedly, an untold death at the hands of Saddam Hussein in the chapter of "What If" Iraqi history, had Saddam been left in power.

Blair does not appear to be a man who is "mentally ill" and "out of control". Can any serious thinking person conclude that? Indeed, his composure and arguments are rather less reactionary and rather more eloquent than a lot of the drivel blurted out on this thread.

Why did Blair invade Iraq? After all these years no one has any answers. The WMD back story was a made up hoax which Blair willingly lied about.

Psychopaths are good at telling lies and putting on masks. Blair is a typical psychopath. Any doubt about his mental illness was finally put to rest today after he appeared on TV calling for another invasion of Iraq.

Blair is obsessed with invading other countries. He is a war criminal.

Arrest Blair!!

(edited 9 years ago)
I'm sorry, sir, but it is impossible to reason with your sort of obsessive.
Original post by meenu89
I don't think the war was illegal.

Tom Bingham thought it was.
Original post by Carterj09
No only that they failed to get proper authorization, and when they were turned down they just went ahead anyway

Tony Blair didn't need any authorization- Under Royal Prerogative the Prime Minister has the legal powers to wage war quite literally willy-nilly. Furthermore there was a Parliamentary vote in favour of the war. As for the United Nations, they didn't just go ahead anyway, they went ahead after elaborate in depth legal advice from the Attorney-General as to why an implicit vote on war from the Security Council isn't always necessary. (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/apr/28/election2005.uk)
(edited 9 years ago)
With Iraq in meltdown, do recent events make Tony Blair any less right or wrong on leading Britain into war in 2003?

I have a housemate at uni who passionately defends Blair's decision to intervene and invade, even on the basis that Saddam didn't have any weapons of mass destruction - instead on the basis that the deaths would have occured anyway.

This is his article in our student newspaper.

With the recent carnage, I'm not sure the ''the short term pain for long term gain argument' in the article really stands up.

But with Blair mentioning the fact that the West's inaction over Syria led to this situation, I'm personally still not entirely sure about it, and honestly don't know all that much about it, despite being a Politics student!

His comments on Radio 4 about the EU were so persuasive recently that I think Blair has earned back a bit of respect, and is still respected by many - so I think it's a relevant debate!
Reply 36
I'm still in favor of the removal of Saddam. The man brought about the deaths of millions of Iraqis, some through the use of chemical weapons, not to mention the Iranian deaths as well. Playing what if never gives satisfactory answers but based upon his past history Saddam would no doubt have stayed true to form and brought about even more death. The problems came after that, our occupation of Iraq was a cluster **** and we left in a man who has caused the sectarian divides that allowed the current crisis to happen.
Original post by PJMillar
With Iraq in meltdown, do recent events make Tony Blair any less right or wrong on leading Britain into war in 2003?

I have a housemate at uni who passionately defends Blair's decision to intervene and invade, even on the basis that Saddam didn't have any weapons of mass destruction - instead on the basis that the deaths would have occured anyway.

This is his article in our student newspaper.

With the recent carnage, I'm not sure the ''the short term pain for long term gain argument' in the article really stands up.

But with Blair mentioning the fact that the West's inaction over Syria led to this situation, I'm personally still not entirely sure about it, and honestly don't know all that much about it, despite being a Politics student!

His comments on Radio 4 about the EU were so persuasive recently that I think Blair has earned back a bit of respect, and is still respected by many - so I think it's a relevant debate!

Your friend's arguments are inane:
Yes, we did invade Iraq on the basis that there were WMDs. I believed at the time there were WMDs and shun any idea that it was a government conspiracy to help fill the capitalist oil tankers with Iraqi blood… and oil.
As it transpired, in the weeks that followed the invasion of Iraq, there were no WMDs. So what then? We hold up our hands and say sorry? Even better, send Tony Blair to The Hague? Ridiculous demands, by ridiculous people

He acknowledges that there's a flaw in his reasoning and yet he holds on to his 'belief' and gives no reason for it. No, saying that 'Saddam killed 1000s' is not a reason to back his ludicrous belief that the war was correct in spite of the central reason for why we went to war turning out to be untrue and a deliberate lie.
I also find this bit hilarious:
Iraq is now a place where girls can go to school freely. Women can now vote and sit in parliament. You can now speak out against the government without the fear of having your tongue cut out and left to die.

I also find his stance ridiculous because Blair is currently campaigning for us to go to war not against the Iraqi government but against rebels against the government. Blair and everybody are conveniently ignoring the core reason why there's been the recent furore: the government's direct oppression of a minority. The issue today is very different from what it was 10 years ago. I can't see how people can parallels between two so different scenarios.

Basically what he is doing is begging us to remember Saddam's Iraq. I suppose it is good practice to have a good dose of solid history every now and then and be confronted with fantastic human failures, but how on Earth does that justify his stance that Blair's idea of warring was correct? Listing Saddam's atrocities is not an argument, it's plainly a statement of fact. I see no argument there. I only see senseless crusading.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Recent events don't change anything - Blair was still wrong to illegally invade Iraq on a false pretext and to help the Americans increase their oil prices. Hundreds of thousands of people died as a result of the invasion and millions of people were displaced. Sectarian violence increased, as we can see today, and the occupation turned many against the West. All in all, it made the world a less safe place to live in.

Saddam Hussein was a tyrant who had, in the past, used chemical weapons (with the support of the West), but that doesn't change the fact that invading in 2003 was the wrong thing to do.

It seems to me that the presence of ISIS in Iraq today has more relevance to the Syrian situation than to the aggression against Iraq in 2003: while the aggression against Iraq did unleash sectarian violence, the bigger issue is that the United Kingdom and the United States have been supporting Saudi Arabia and Turkey, who have been giving arms to these militant groups in their fight against Assad. Thus, Blair's comment that the current situation in Iraq is due to inaction in Syria, which you mentioned, is utterly bizarre, as many in the public eye have pointed out: if we did take action against Assad, then we would have been helping these jihadists. The warmongers on the Right now think that their meetings with these unsavoury figures in Syria will be ignored by the public. We were right to oppose intervention in Syria, and the only regret for me is that we didn't do more to stop the aggression against Iraq.

Perhaps the United States will now respect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Iran now, seeing as they seem to have made a temporary pact.
Original post by Aj12
I'm still in favor of the removal of Saddam. The man brought about the deaths of millions of Iraqis, some through the use of chemical weapons, not to mention the Iranian deaths as well. Playing what if never gives satisfactory answers but based upon his past history Saddam would no doubt have stayed true to form and brought about even more death. The problems came after that, our occupation of Iraq was a cluster **** and we left in a man who has caused the sectarian divides that allowed the current crisis to happen.

theres no evidence to suggest Saddam used chemical weapons on iraqis cos both iran and iraq had sarin gas

if he did use it then theyd of bought it up against him when they were trailing him

funny how their wasnt even a mention of it

saddam was a criminal, adictator but its funn how the west only intervened when he began to change his ways of dictatorship :rolleyes:

note: i dont support saddam, im merely stating the truth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending