rubyp97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can somebody please explain what effect the temperature has on the process, in terms of exothermic and endothermic reactions and how this shifts the rate of equilibrium as i am getting really confused !
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rubyp97)
Can somebody please explain what effect the temperature has on the process, in terms of exothermic and endothermic reactions and how this shifts the rate of equilibrium as i am getting really confused !
The equation for the Haber Process is

\text N _2 + 3 \text H _2 \rightleftharpoons 2 \text{NH} _3

IIRC, the forward reaction is exothermic, so the reverse must be endothermic.

Increasing the temperature favours the endothermic reaction (due to Le Chatalier's Principle) which means that the equilibrium shifts to the left.

Decreasing the temperature does the opposite.

In an industrial environment, moderately high temperatures are used because even though they shift the equilibrium to the left, they increase the rate of reaction so that a greater yield is produced in a given time.

Hope this helps
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Haber process is exothermic in the forward direction (-46kJ per mol of ammonia formed)

Increasing temperature moves the position of equilibrium towards the direction of endothermic change, i.e. there is less ammonia.

Therefore low temperature favours formation of ammonia, BUT if its too low the rate of attainment of equilibrium is too slow. So a compromise is reached, not too low and not too high (450ºC)

Increasing pressure pushes the equilibrium towards the side with fewer moles of gas, i.e. the right hand side.
rubyp97
Rep:
?
Ok thanks that great!- does the equilibrium move to the left when the temp increases because the energy starts to be absorbed when the energy is released?
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok thanks that great!- does the equilibrium move to the left when the temp increases because the energy starts to be absorbed when the energy is released?
The equilibrium moves to the left in order to minimize the change to the system (i.e. by taking in more energy, you are trying to reduce the effect of the increase in temperature). Google 'Le Chatalier's Principle'.
rubyp97
Rep:
?
thanks !
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arithmeticae)
The equilibrium moves to the left in order to minimize the change to the system (i.e. by taking in more energy, you are trying to reduce the effect of the increase in temperature). Google 'Le Chatalier's Principle'.
Le Chatelier's principle is not the reason, it is an empirical rule.

I am not simply being pedantic here. Some examinations boards will not accept LC as an explanation.

The equilibrium moves to the side of endothermic change as the temperature increases because when there is more energy available the rate of the endothermic direction increases more than that of the exothermic direction.

This can be demonstrated by the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution at two different temperatures, showing the activation energy of the forward and reverse reactions.

The activation energy of endothermic change is always larger than that of exothermic change. Hence an increase in available energy affects the rate of the endothermic direction more than the exothermic direction.
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Le Chatelier's principle is not the reason, it is an empirical rule.

I am not simply being pedantic here. Some examinations boards will not accept LC as an explanation.

The equilibrium moves to the side of endothermic change as the temperature increases because when there is more energy available the rate of the endothermic direction increases more than that of the exothermic direction.

This can be demonstrated by the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution at two different temperatures, showing the activation energy of the forward and reverse reactions.

The activation energy of endothermic change is always larger than that of exothermic change. Hence an increase in available energy affects the rate of the endothermic direction more than the exothermic direction.
That's interesting, I haven't heard the reasoning behind it before but my exam board always allowed it

Do you cover Maxwell-Boltzman at GCSE?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arithmeticae)
That's interesting, I haven't heard the reasoning behind it before but my exam board always allowed it

Do you cover Maxwell-Boltzman at GCSE?
Nope, it's AS Energetics even then it isn't explained like above.
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Nope, it's AS Energetics even then it isn't explained like above.
Thanks, I was getting a bit scared for a minute there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (123)
43.01%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.73%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (113)
39.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed