Council tax wtf!

Watch
GPH92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
Just got an email from my landlord saying i have to pay 200£ in council tax, I'm just about to graduate and my course finished like 3 weeks ago.... If anyone can tell me if this is correct or not i'll be grateful thanks !
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GPH92)
Hi,
Just got an email from my landlord saying i have to pay 200£ in council tax, I'm just about to graduate and my course finished like 3 weeks ago.... If anyone can tell me if this is correct or not i'll be grateful thanks !
Students dont pay council tax, however it depends on the offical end date of your course.

Contact your local council office to discuss this, dont do it through your landlord as it doesnt actually involve them.
GPH92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
Students dont pay council tax, however it depends on the offical end date of your course.

Contact your local council office to discuss this, dont do it through your landlord as it doesnt actually involve them.
My course ended on like 20th May. Basically my landlord has paid the council tax and is saying we have to pay him back, I just don't feel this is legit, as I havnt graduated nor am I employed! thankyou I'll call them
Monday
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're still a student even though your course finished. As if you wanted to claim things like jsa etc you cant do this until sept.
So you shouldn't have to pay council tax.
I had this problem and I explained my official course end date, and graduation date...had to get proof from uni though :/ best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GPH92)
My course ended on like 20th May. Basically my landlord has paid the council tax and is saying we have to pay him back, I just don't feel this is legit, as I havnt graduated nor am I employed! thankyou I'll call them
Monday
If your landlord is chasing you for it rather than the council, there's not must point talking to the council. If your landlord mentioned it to you previously I don't think you've got any option other than to pay, I don't think it's likely that your landlord will get a council tax rebate.

If you landlord hasn't mentioned it and this is the first you've heard about it you need to talk to them and explain the situation.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My course officially ends on June 20 so from that point I lose the council tax discount. Obviously different for other unis. Contact your council office and ask what date they have for your course end then contact your uni to verify if it's correct or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to Money and Finance
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your landlord should have provided proof to the council that a student was occupying his property (your university can provide this for you). Some universities forward lists of students local councils so they don't have to provide evidence to show they are eligible not to pay it. Check with your university and your landlord.
GPH92
Rep:
?
This email is the first time I've heard of it. I can't afford to pay so I won't be paying it.
(Original post by pjm600)
If your landlord is chasing you for it rather than the council, there's not must point talking to the council. If your landlord mentioned it to you previously I 'don't think you've got any option other than to pay, I don't think it's likely that your landlord will get a council tax rebate.

If you landlord hasn't mentioned it and this is the first you've heard about it you need to talk to them and explain the situation.
The situation is that it's already been paid by my landlord ( no idea why he's done it without discussing it first). Secondly I don't have proof that this is even the case just his word as I havent even seen this letter.

(Original post by deviant182)
You're still a student even though your course finished. As if you wanted to claim things like jsa etc you cant do this until sept.
So you shouldn't have to pay council tax.
I had this problem and I explained my official course end date, and graduation date...had to get proof from uni though :/ best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by pjm600)
If your landlord is chasing you for it rather than the council, there's not must point talking to the council. If your landlord mentioned it to you previously I don't think you've got any option other than to pay, I don't think it's likely that your landlord will get a council tax rebate.

balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In which case I bet your landlord finds a way of getting it back through your tenancy deposit.
Fletch2405
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If all occupants are full-time students then it should be council tax exempt. If someone in the house isn't a full-time student, then you do have to pay council tax, however how that is divided amongst yourselves is down to the house mates.
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GPH92)
This email is the first time I've heard of it. I can't afford to pay so I won't be paying it.

The situation is that it's already been paid by my landlord ( no idea why he's done it without discussing it first). Secondly I don't have proof that this is even the case just his word as I havent even seen this letter.
You are a student until the official end date of your course. After this date you are liable for council tax, whether you're working or not.

Any correspondence regarding council tax would go to the property, not the landlord.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GPH92)
Monday
it definitley is, your not a student from the moment your course finishes, you can go on JSA any time now. Its definiltley not based on employment! I'm in a similar position, if you are the only non student you can get a 25% discount, if you go on JSA you may get some other kind of discount.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.81%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (38)
31.93%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.08%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.92%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.2%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.68%

Watched Threads