http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/...alculture.aspx

No link for PPE so far however there is a talk at the open days

Thoughts?
Sancte
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd like to know more about the PPE course, if you have any more information. It's quite a bold step.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zizi.karl)
I'd like to know more about the PPE course, if you have any more information. It's quite a bold step.
First I've heard, but it's an extremely bold step if it's to be made. With UCL and LSE as well to be offering PPE degrees, that's 3 big beasts from London going to the market at the same time.

I had thought KCL's PPL llb was going to be its 'modern greats'. And that was a nice niche that allowed it to exploit existing and very real strengths. For PPE it will presumably be concentrating on political economy(?) There's certainly going to be a need to importantly differentiate between the new PPE degrees at multiple providers (and as well between these and those already offered elsewhere) before a saturation point is reached.
Sancte
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
First I've heard, but it's an extremely bold step if it's to be made. With UCL and LSE as well to be offering PPE degrees, that's 3 big beasts from London going to the market at the same time.

I had thought KCL's PPL llb was going to be its 'modern greats'. And that was a nice niche that allowed it to exploit existing and very real strengths. For PPE it will presumably be concentrating on political economy(?) There's certainly going to be a need to importantly differentiate between the new PPE degrees at multiple providers (and as well between these and those already offered elsewhere) before a saturation point is reached.
I couldn't agree more. I don't know if I'm entirely supportive of this new PPE craze but I'm very excited to see how it pans out. That said, the PPL degree course at King's was meant to be something of a twist on the Oxford model while, as you earlier mentioned, exploiting the existing strength of the School of Law. This is largely the main reason I'd like to know more about whether King's is really considering to offer PPE.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
From what I've been told (helping at the open day as a rep of King's), there will be a heavy emphasis on the political economy side of the course. However I do agree with the speciality that is the PPL course that's offered.

Also, I thought it was only PE offered at LSE?
Sancte
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
From what I've been told (helping at the open day as a rep of King's), there will be a heavy emphasis on the political economy side of the course. However I do agree with the speciality that is the PPL course that's offered.

This is starting to make sense now. The administration at King's axed the famous Politics of the International Economy degree course last year, didn't they? And PPE would be something of a more reputable/marketable equivalent to introduce with a wider range of modules to select from.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)

The LSE is launching its PPE degree for 2015. What's the case is that if offers all the 'two of these three' degrees anyway (Politics & Philosophy, Government & Economics, Philosophy & Economics) so a distinctive feature of the PPE course there will be a formal requirement that you pursue all three throughout the degree. And for that reason it is 4 years long. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...0_BSc_PPE.aspx

UCL's PPE degree is being offered through the school of public policy, which is extremely well regarded and has until now been graduate-only. The USP for this one would seem to be the Quantitative Methods stream that makes it look like PPEQM. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/spp/teaching/undergraduate/ppe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (4)
28.57%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (4)
28.57%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (6)
42.86%

Watched Threads