Do religious beliefs automatically deserve respect?

Watch
MC armani
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Discuss.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I would disagree with that.

Some religious beliefs are fine. These are the ones that do not infringe on other peoples rights, and do not clash with other peoples laws etc. In fact there are some religious beliefs which work in harmony with the law and morality. The 10 commandments for example (among many others). These ones I respect, even if there are some which are part of a religion that I do not follow.

Other religious beliefs are ridiculous. Halal food for example. I refuse to respect a religious belief which causes unnecessary suffering to another creature. Also any religious belief which has women being treated as second class citizens is also not worth of respect. And then there are those religious beliefs which just basically mean there is one rule for these people, and another for everybody else. For example - why is it that people have to remove their motorcycle helmet when they enter a bank, yet an islamic female is not required to remove her veil? Ludicrous.

So no, I do not think that religious beliefs automatically deserve respect. It really depends which one it is.
MC armani
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
No I would disagree with that.
I only asked the question; I didn't express an opinion.

Some religious beliefs are fine. These are the ones that do not infringe on other peoples rights, and do not clash with other peoples laws etc. In fact there are some religious beliefs which work in harmony with the law and morality. The 10 commandments for example (among many others). These ones I respect, even if there are some which are part of a religion that I do not follow.

Other religious beliefs are ridiculous. Halal food for example. I refuse to respect a religious belief which causes unnecessary suffering to another creature. Also any religious belief which has women being treated as second class citizens is also not worth of respect. And then there are those religious beliefs which just basically mean there is one rule for these people, and another for everybody else. For example - why is it that people have to remove their motorcycle helmet when they enter a bank, yet an islamic female is not required to remove her veil? Ludicrous.

So no, I do not think that religious beliefs automatically deserve respect. It really depends which one it is.
Sensible response.

But I am referring here not to the moral preachments of religion, but rather the beliefs. For instance one's belief in the Genesis story, or the belief that there are 72 virgins waiting in heaven etc etc.

Should beliefs, such as these and others, be respected?
Agapelove
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MC armani)
Discuss.
I think religious or non-religious ideas that promote helping other people instead of hurting them do deserve respect. Following the Golden Rule, which can be considered religious (Luke 6:31) and nonreligious (around before Jesus and can be followed by anyone regardless of their belief or no belief in God) is also worthy of respect, in my opinion.
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not at all. They should be treated as ideologies.
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not where they impact negatively on other people.

I'm getting more and more fed up with religious nutters these days, but then again they are probably not that different from other types of nutters. Thankfully, in real life they are quite rare.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not at all, since they are usually based on irrational faith, so they cannot be verified in any way, so they must go into a deadlock with any different point of view since they are unable to accept any arguments.

Faith based religions are also inefficient way of thinking. Everything can be explained with a god, so it's useless in real life and causes that the believers do not improve their analitical skills, which would often be dangerous for their religions. Since they have weak analitical skills, they are unable to solve problems or change there point of view. In fact, they are often unable to recognize they are wrong in something.

Moreower, religions prove to be dangerous. In history and today, they often cannot axcept different points of view and always believe that they must be right and everyone else must be wrong. "My religion is the only true religion and you should convert to mine"- That was many times said both by the Christians and by the Muslims.

When Christianity took over the Roman Empire, it turned out not to be as peaceful as it declared, and started persecutions of pagans and philosophers, which effected in destruction of thousands of books.
Serapejon was destroyed, Plato's Academy was closed, philosophers had to flee to Persia.
About crusades and european wars for religion, I think I don't have to talk. Effect on science was also very bad.

Today religion is the biggest threat for peace on Earth. Every book about international relations mentions that problem. You can also see this everyday when you turn the TV set on and read some news. It's a biggest threat because it's irrational, for this reason it's totally unpredicitible. World was far safer during the Cold War when there were just two nuclear superpowers that could have destroy another if under attack, and leaders of both of them didn't want to die. When it comes to religion, you don't know what is going to happen. Terrorists are killing people in suicide attacks, why wouldn't they use nuclear bomb since they probably believe that killing more infidels will please more their god?
Latamilpoonu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm Hindu and I believe in Jesus ,I have a respect for all religions a part for Islam,which I don't call a religion but an Ideology.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, of course not, nothing is inherently worthy of respect.
MangoFreak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Uh, no, nothing automatically deserves respect.

If you mean respect as in the positive feeling towards something, then certainly not. If you mean respect as in human decency, then respect the follower and even the belief if it seems harmless, but that doesn't shield the belief from criticism, especially if it's a positively harmful belief.
MC armani
Rep:
?
(Original post by llys)
Not where they impact negatively on other people. I'm getting more and more fed up with religious nutters these days, but then again they are probably not that different from other types of nutters. Thankfully, in real life they are quite rare.
I'm specifically talking about beliefs rather than religious morals ie. should we respect a person's belief in a God and refrain from criticising it.

And the difference between religious crackpots and your regular crackpot is that the former believes they have God on their side, a factor which is not to be underestimated. (Which nonbeliever for instance would look at a newborn baby and think that mutilating its genitalia ought to be the first item on the agenda)

(Original post by Latamilpoonu)
I'm Hindu and I believe in Jesus ,I have a respect for all religions a part for Islam,which I don't call a religion but an Ideology.
Why do you respect other religions but not Islam?
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. I think religiousness should be treated as an ailment, if anything.

I respect the right of an individual to believe in whatever they want to believe in, but I won't respect the actual content of their belief, and feel it is fair and appropriate to criticise it where it makes any kind of inroad into someone else's life/society as a whole.
superdarklord
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If someone has a belief or opinion, it's always open to criticism. Why should religious belief be any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Latamilpoonu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm specifically talking about beliefs rather than religious morals ie. should we respect a person's belief in a God and refrain from criticising it.

And the difference between religious crackpots and your regular crackpot is that the former believes they have God on their side, a factor which is not to be underestimated. (Which nonbeliever for instance would look at a newborn baby and think that mutilating its genitalia ought to be the first item on the agenda)

Why do you respect other religions but not Islam?
Hinduism teaches us Tolerance and Love for everyone same for other religions.Islams teaches intolerance and hate of kaffirs (non believers)

Hindu philosophy of life is live and let live.
Islamic philosophy of life is die and don't let anyone else live.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, but they deserve tolerance. There's no reason I should respect someone else's beliefs if I don't think they're worthy of my respect, but I should tolerate those beliefs and not attack them for it. The exception to this is if their beliefs actually harm others, in which case tolerance acceptable for obvious reasons.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hinduism teaches us Tolerance and Love for everyone same for other religions.Islams teaches intolerance and hate of kaffirs (non believers)

Yup, pretty much. Hinduism is actually very interesting. Islam is just pure dogma.
Latamilpoonu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KingBradly)
Yup, pretty much. Hinduism is actually very interesting. Islam is just pure dogma.

Yep

Muslims are trying to force their Islam on anyone who is non muslim.

Muslims make themselves despised and distrusted wherever they go.

If you're wondering why people have that feeling of contempt and disgust and animosity towards the Muslims, the fact is that the Muslims make themselves unwelcome wherever they go by their own misbehavior and their demands.

The first thing that the Muslims do, after they infiltrate a non-Islamic Country, is to build their growing Muslim slums around their Mosques and segregate themselves from the Natives of the host Country.

Muslims have no interest in assimilating, they are only interested in conquest. They do not want to assimilate to the host culture, they want to destroy it and replace it with their own Islam culture....
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, if someone believes something that's ****ing stupid, I'm allowed to tell them so
MC armani
Rep:
?

I agree about Hinduism, but what about other monotheisms like Christianity and Judaism?
Latamilpoonu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree about Hinduism, but what about other monotheisms like Christianity and Judaism?

I respect them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (125)
27.41%
England (164)
35.96%
Belgium (33)
7.24%
Germany (43)
9.43%
Spain (10)
2.19%