Navm1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This is a question I had for maths but I figured it'd be more relevant in here.

2. Construct a table showing the mean distances and orbital periods for the eight planets. By plotting a suitable graph, find the law relating the orbital time to the mean distance.

Those are the two tables I made showing the orbital periods and mean distances and the relationship between the two but when I try to plot the graph using the logs of the original table I end up with this.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong with the graph would be appreciated, thanks.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Navm1)
This is a question I had for maths but I figured it'd be more relevant in here.

2. Construct a table showing the mean distances and orbital periods for the eight planets. By plotting a suitable graph, find the law relating the orbital time to the mean distance.

Those are the two tables I made showing the orbital periods and mean distances and the relationship between the two but when I try to plot the graph using the logs of the original table I end up with this.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong with the graph would be appreciated, thanks.
What is the gradient of your graph?

How does the gradient relate to the relationship between the logs of the orbital period and mean distance?

What then is the relationship between the orbital period and mean distances?

EDIT: what is the distance in AU between the earth and the sun? What is the orbital period of the earth? (HINT: it's not 0)
Navm1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
What is the gradient of your graph?

How does the gradient relate to the relationship between the logs of the orbital period and mean distance?

What then is the relationship between the orbital period and mean distances?

EDIT: what is the distance in AU between the earth and the sun? What is the orbital period of the earth? (HINT: it's not 0)
the distance between the earth and sun in au is 1, and the orbital period is 1 year too.

The gradient of the line is 3/2 so the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the distance?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Navm1)
the distance between the earth and sun in au is 1, and the orbital period is 1 year too.

The gradient of the line is 3/2 so the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the distance?
Nearly.

The ratio of T2/R3 = constant

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/clas...r-s-Three-Laws
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.67%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.33%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5%
I need help with my personal statement (26)
43.33%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.33%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5%

Watched Threads