Where do I start at the gym?

Watch this thread
Scrawt
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to start building muscle but I don't know which gym equipment to use, as I have never been to a gym before. Here are two pictures of my body. I have a high body fat and very little muscle. I want to build up my arms definitely.

But I am quite confused about the gym in general.

Advice please?

username1186351
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
There's a tonne of information already out there, just read any FAQ, anyhow:

Find a gym with barbells, power racks and bench rack and you're set. You can pretty much ignore every single other machine in the gym as of now. They can become useful in targeting weak areas later on, but as of now your whole body is your weak point.

Hop on a structured routine, do not make your own routine. Popular beginner routines that have progression schemes and templates are ICF 5x5, Strong Lifts 5x5, All Pro's beginner routine etc. Just google them.

Then, you can watch some demonstrations for form around the Internet. Record yourself and post a form check in the form check thread or anywhere else on the net.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Scrawt;48156459]I want to start building muscle but I don't know which gym equipment to use, as I have never been to a gym before. Here are two pictures of my body. I have a high body fat and very little muscle. I want to build up my arms definitely.

Advice please?

Hi there,

At my gym when you start you get a personal induction and they ask what your goals are and then write up a personal plan for you. Ask your gym to see if they can give you something similar. They also give you advice about the correct machines and weights to use. Good luck.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2709103
JeffreyPhelps
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
First of all make plans to go to the gym doesn't matter how tired you are. Start with easy exercises.
Do warm up.
Don't Trust the Calorie Counts.Limit yourself to six to nine machines and twenty to thirty minutes.
Work major muscle groups.
Reward yourself with a few minutes in the pool, steam room or sauna.
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Disregard personal trainers.
Don't use machines.
Lift heavy, lift hard and lift often.
Focus on compound movements.

Do those and with food/rest you'll make more progress than 95% of your gym.
iamu
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by illusionz)
Disregard personal trainers.
Don't use machines.
Lift heavy, lift hard and lift often.
Focus on compound movements.

Do those and with food/rest you'll make more progress than 95% of your gym.
nothing wrong with some machines.

OP it would help you alot if you have a friend or someone who knows what they're doing to show you the ropes
a_shabba
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scrawt)
I want to start building muscle but I don't know which gym equipment to use, as I have never been to a gym before. Here are two pictures of my body. I have a high body fat and very little muscle. I want to build up my arms definitely.

Advice please?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

read up, and have a look at omarisuf's youtube channel for tutorials for each lift, he has good technique
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Be sure to curl in the squat rack if you want bigger arms. Using the larger bar allows you to gain more arm muscle.
JeffreyPhelps
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You haven't discuss anything about that you want to do gym at home with your own equipment or want to go to gym? If you will go to gym, gym trainer will define you each and every thing about gym equipment. But if you want o do it at your home, first you need to purchase dumbbell for increasing hand muscles and a treadmill machine for running. These both are the basic equipment.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scrawt)

Advice please?

As said by others - use a beginner routine as recommeded above at a gym

Work out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure and eat 500 calories less than this. There's online calculators for it and MyFitnessPal is great for counting calories

Consume around a gram of protein per kg of body weight

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads