V665 - TSR Scottish Independence Referendum Bill 2014 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (24)
63.16%
Of the contrary, No (7)
18.42%
Abstain (7)
18.42%
This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
V665 - TSR Scottish Independence Referendum Bill 2014, TSR Opposition

TSR Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2014

An Act of the Student Room Model House of Commons (TSR MHoC) to make provision, in accordance with paragraph 5A of Part 1 of Schedule 5 to the Scotland Act 1998, for the holding of a referendum in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on a question about the independence of Scotland.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Referendum on Scottish independence
  1. A referendum is to be held in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on a question about the independence of Scotland.
  2. The question is: “Should Scotland be an independent country?“
  3. The total of four choices are used to differentiate between Scottish (persons resided in Scotland) and other voters (persons resided elsewhere within the UK).
  4. The date on which a thread containing the text of this bill on TSR website is to be published is 13 September 2014 for an initial period of three days for debate and campaigning.
  5. The date on which the poll on TSR website is to be published in the same thread is 16 September 2014, and shall be closed after five days.

2 Those who are entitled to vote
All persons entitled to vote in TSR General Elections are entitled to vote in this referendum.

3 Campaign rules
All registered users of TSR are permitted to use the usual means of expressing their opinions in public, and are hereby encouraged to participate in relevant debates across forums of TSR, mainly MHoC, and Debate and Current Affairs.

4 Extent and short title
  1. This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
  2. This Act may be cited as the TSR Scottish Freedom* Act 2014.

*Vocalised just like Mel Gibson did in the role of William Wallace.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Be advised that the dates have been changed in order to coincide with the proper referendum.

Sadly, I cocked up a bit and did not include the part about the consequences which leaves me with a request to regard this merely as an attention-seeking and debate-promotive piece of legislation, with a further bill to be introduced depending on the outcome of the two referenda. As I see it, there is no possibility of separation on here due to the voting process (we are unable to exclude Scottish voters from General Elections).
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. There's no way of enforcing a "Scottish" and "non-Scottish" vote, which will give a skewed result. I'm also not sure why everyone else should have a vote on this either, seeing as it's a Scottish decision.
Lipvig
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye.
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't believe a bill to ask all and sundry if Scotland should be independent is being passed. Lol.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
I can't believe a bill to ask all and sundry if Scotland should be independent is being passed. Lol.
Many more hardly believable things are happening nowadays…
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
We've passed sillier bills which would have worse consequences. Besides, we're resetting the house come the real life GE, so we're not going to have time to deal with the result much anyway,
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
We've passed sillier bills which would have worse consequences. Besides, we're resetting the house come the real life GE, so we're not going to have time to deal with the result much anyway,
Wait? Was legislation passed that reset it every GE?
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Wait? Was legislation passed that reset it every GE?
I thought so. If not, we really should. It's getting really hard to remember what the hell the law is here, and I think it'll help to recruit newbies if they don't have to figure out 5 years of legislation just to get started.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 24
The Noes to the left: 7
Abstentions: 7

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)
24.3%
Jazz (30)
3.8%
Classical (46)
5.82%
Hip-Hop (150)
18.99%