Zack_Sammy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi the name's Zack Sammy. It's been a while since I last came here.
Need some study tips for my igcse in Jan 15
Would really appreciate it if you could help me =)
Lilyghz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zack_Sammy)
Hi the name's Zack Sammy. It's been a while since I last came here.
Need some study tips for my igcse in Jan 15
Would really appreciate it if you could help me =)
Hey Zack, what's up? Welcome to TSR (again?)!

I did IGCSE myself so maybe I can help you if you let me know what subjects you're doing but if not, you can check out the GCSE forum so it can help you to some extent.

Get in touch if you've got any questions but for now, welcome (again)
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
OMG THANK YOU!!!!!
Its great to find a fellow igcse student
Well for my second sitting in Jan I'm taking bio, human bio, Accounting, economics, English and pure maths. Scary right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OMG THANK YOU!!!!!
Its great to find a fellow igcse student
Well for my second sitting in Jan I'm taking bio, human bio, Accounting, economics, English and pure maths. Scary right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it was pretty scary but looking back on it now it was dead easy compared to A-levels so I suggest you maintain a positive can-do attitude and you'll sail through your IGCSEs seamlessly

The only subjects I did in common with you were economics, english and maths. I got As in all three so get in touch if you have any questions

Whereabouts are you studying?
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilyghz)
Yeah it was pretty scary but looking back on it now it was dead easy compared to A-levels so I suggest you maintain a positive can-do attitude and you'll sail through your IGCSEs seamlessly

The only subjects I did in common with you were economics, english and maths. I got As in all three so get in touch if you have any questions

Whereabouts are you studying?
I'm from Bangladesh. Geez I don't even wanna think about the A levels. How hard did you find those subjects for your O levels?
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm from Bangladesh. Geez I don't even wanna think about the A levels. How hard did you find those subjects for your O levels?
Ah awesome! Haha yeah you don't have to stress about A levels just yet. Take it step by step

English wasn't a problem for me but at the time maths and economics were a bit of a struggle for me. Ever since my first ever day of school I've never been good at maths and when IGCSE came around I struggled to maintain a grade above a D but as the exams came closer I practiced a lot harder, did more past papers and really focused on the task and I was so happy I came out with an A haha.

Economics was also hard for me at the time because it was a completely new subject for me and my teacher was quite rubbish but I did the same thing as maths - did loads of past papers and also used online resources like dineshbakshi and Khan Academy in addition to my textbooks to revise.
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
You're my another ray of hope :')
Did you give any mock exams?
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I had mocks but my results for the real exam were far better than my mock results, trust me haha.
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
How did you revise? Like what was your revision plan? Are giving mocks really helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was kind of a long-ish process.

The first thing you need to make sure you do is do as many past papers as you can but for this to work, you need to know your course content well and the key to this is simply just good revision notes really.

I made flash cards for most of my subjects. I kept them brief but still understandable, colourful but simple and no more than 10 cards per chapter. I organised each chapter in different stacks so they were easy to revise from. My top tip for making sure that everything you learn from the flash cards actually goes inside your head is that you build up your memory of it by reading, remembering and recalling. For instance if you have 10 cards, read card 1, remember it, recall without reading, read card 2, remember it, recall, recall card 1 and 2, read card 3, remember, recall without reading, recall cards 1, 2 and 3 and etc.

Once you're confident that you know most of the content, start doing past papers and when you're checking refer to the mark scheme and identify the areas you're not good at. Find patterns in the paper so you know to prepare for what you can expect. If you finish all the past papers, do them all again until you've got them down.

This next tip I found really good - even after you've done past papers and made good notes and you still feel unsure or unconfident about certain topics, make a cheat sheet. I don't mean that you're going to take it into the exam with you and cheat from it but the idea is that you identify the topics you're weak at and just write down bullet points about them on a single sheet of paper so it's easy for you to refer to before the exam.

Overall I think the key thing you need to remember is to be strict with yourself. Have a revision plan for each day and give yourself regular breaks only when you feel that you've earned it.

I hope this helps
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilyghz)
It was kind of a long-ish process.

The first thing you need to make sure you do is do as many past papers as you can but for this to work, you need to know your course content well and the key to this is simply just good revision notes really.

I made flash cards for most of my subjects. I kept them brief but still understandable, colourful but simple and no more than 10 cards per chapter. I organised each chapter in different stacks so they were easy to revise from. My top tip for making sure that everything you learn from the flash cards actually goes inside your head is that you build up your memory of it by reading, remembering and recalling. For instance if you have 10 cards, read card 1, remember it, recall without reading, read card 2, remember it, recall, recall card 1 and 2, read card 3, remember, recall without reading, recall cards 1, 2 and 3 and etc.

Once you're confident that you know most of the content, start doing past papers and when you're checking refer to the mark scheme and identify the areas you're not good at. Find patterns in the paper so you know to prepare for what you can expect. If you finish all the past papers, do them all again until you've got them down.

This next tip I found really good - even after you've done past papers and made good notes and you still feel unsure or unconfident about certain topics, make a cheat sheet. I don't mean that you're going to take it into the exam with you and cheat from it but the idea is that you identify the topics you're weak at and just write down bullet points about them on a single sheet of paper so it's easy for you to refer to before the exam.

Overall I think the key thing you need to remember is to be strict with yourself. Have a revision plan for each day and give yourself regular breaks only when you feel that you've earned it.

I hope this helps
Wow! Okay one last question, how hard do they seem once you start revising? :3
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say that it depends on how well you cope with them but generally it should seem easier than how you started out.
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have given me some great advice and make me want to work harder. Don't get annoyed if I come to you again in the future for help :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have given me some great advice and make me want to work harder. Don't get annoyed if I come to you again in the future for help :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I'm glad I could help it was no trouble at all. Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions
Zack_Sammy
Rep:
?
Let's become penpals :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha yeah why not. Just PM me I think it would be better than chatting on this thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.27%
Take autumn exams (120)
31.5%
Look for a job (12)
3.15%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.46%
Take a year out (67)
17.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed