Do i currently have a good chance of getting in to medicine? Watch

Poll: Do i currently have a good chance of getting an offer for medicine?
Yes (50)
65.79%
Not likely (26)
34.21%
general-david
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey everyone,
I just got my AS-level results yesterday. I ended up with:

Chemistry-A (just)
Maths-A
Physics-A
Biology-B ( )
General Studies-B (does this actualy matter?)

(dropping physics at A-level, even though its da one i got highest marks in, cos i think a 3 science combination at a-level will look bad)

I've also got 2 weeks work experience in hospital, and 2 weeks work experience in a nursing home.

Do you guys think i stand a good chance of getting an offer from a london uni, such as Queen Mary's or Kings College?
Cos a lot of da ppl i know who wanna do medicine got 4 A's !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Also, is there anyone out there who has been given an offer with similar grades and work experience?

THANKS a lot!
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
why drop physics, why not drop maths? it's practically a science anyway.

I think you need more work experience and then you've a good chance of getting an offer.
_GUESS_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
depends a bit on your gcse grades too - if they are good then you'll got a good chance of being invited for an interview and you have to impress them from there.
Spacecam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get lots of work experience, get Bio up to an A, drop maths. They will want Chem, Bio and Physics. Plus, the offer will only be for 3 alevels, don't do 4 or you'll overburn. AND keep reviewing your PS and redrafting. read the news like mad and start looking for answers to potential questions, especially the obvious ones "why medicine"; "who is a doctor responsible to" etc

good luck.
ExitMusic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Having 4 As isn't a prerequisite for success; of course they'll look at your academic background, and state a conditional offer, but they're looking at your aptitude and suitability for medicine more than anything.
general-david
Rep:
?
thanks 4 da replys.

also, just wonderin but a lot of Medical Schools, say that you only need biology at as-level.
So if i drop it, do you think ill be at a disadvantage when it comes to being offered a place?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wash your mouth out with soap and water, young man!!! It's Barts and The London!!!

The truth is that know one could ever tell you if you have a good chance. You have as good a chance as everyone esle applying with the same grades, and expereince etc... Med applications are a bit of a mine field. There are so many variables, not least which selector reads your UCAS form. You manage to get allocated to someone who writes and thinks in a similar way - bingo. Get allocated to someone who hates your PS and thinks you write like a chimp - no interview for you. And that's just within the same med school.

My advice would be not to worry about what other people think, or what other people have and concentrate on maximising on what you have and what you think....
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yesisbui)
thanks 4 da replys.

also, just wonderin but a lot of Medical Schools, say that you only need biology at as-level.
So if i drop it, do you think ill be at a disadvantage when it comes to being offered a place?
The only *problem* with that, is that biology is without a doubt, the most helpful for pre-clinical science. Most med schools will expect you to have brought yourself up to A2 level by the start of the course... If you're dropping it because it bores you - don't. If you're dropping it strategically because you think you will get a really pants grade in it, then make sure you still get a hold of the full A2 syllabus, and you can self teach it over the summer before you start...
general-david
Rep:
?
I Know I Can Bring Myself Up 2 Standard For Biology A2 If I Have To, Im Only Wondering If Not Doing Biology At A-level Will Go Against Me At Interview, Etc...
rhythm_bandit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got 3 interviews and one offer without interview this year and i only had as bio.
it meets their minimum requirements, so i dont think it should go against you.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't see why you wouldn't have as good a chance as anyone else with similar qualifications, I would advice that you drop the subject that you least like, if you like physics then keep in on and drop maths.
general-david
Rep:
?
An offer without an interview??? Where'd u get that from ant?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yesisbui)
An offer without an interview??? Where'd u get that from ant?
Southampton and Edinburgh don't traditionally interview for medical applicants straight out of school as far as I know but I could be wronge. Getting into one of these universities means you have to look very good on paper as they don't have the interview.
general-david
Rep:
?
hmmmm....My cousin went to edinborough! So that explains how he got in .
(even though that was around 10 years ago, lol)
Mangaroo
Badges: 10
Report 12 years ago
No one will have any clue what your chances are.

Your personal statement needs to be top-notch, you need a bit of luck, and you have to be the right person at the interview. Those grades seem good enough to meet most/all grade requirements provided you get predicted the same/higher A2 grades. And provided your GCSE results are good too.
Good luck
Matrix
Report 12 years ago
you shud be very grateful with the grades u have.

i have also gt my as results:

d - chemistry
C - biology
c - history

and i am gna try and work very very hard to get in to med school. my second option is dentistry. and then pharmacy.

i know my chances are very slim at this moment in time, but considering i have a year to go. i still have one more chance. hopefully

so ther u have it, and also considering u also have a two week w/e placment in a hospital gives u the upper hand. read the thread 'i need work experience ina medical setting asap!' to find how hard it was for me, and still is to get w/e just for a day.
general-david
Rep:
?
tru.
but how much does the as level grades actually contribute to the overall a-level grade?
i heard it was like a 1/3.
simac
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You heard wrong, its 50%. 600 ums marks = your final A level grade. 300 come from AS and 300 from A2.
_GUESS_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by simac)
You heard wrong, its 50%. 600 ums marks = your final A level grade. 300 come from AS and 300 from A2.
unfortunately they are likely to change that in the future causing the A2 to count more because people say A2 are way harder than AS - which is true
general-david
Rep:
?
omg really! all this time i thought that the A2's actually carried more weight.
so how many UMS marks do you need for an A at A-level?
(for my AS it was 240)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed