User1255194
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've recently stopped reading the economist as exams took over. The magazines kept coming however and I've got around 15 unread copies to catch up on.

Takes me around an hour or two just to read selectively. My one main criticism about the newspaper is sometimes they find ways to write with great quantity but little substance - I would read a double page spread, probably the equivalent of 6 or 7 book pages, and I could hardly take many points from it. Anyone else the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EHZ17)
I've recently stopped reading the economist as exams took over. The magazines kept coming however and I've got around 15 unread copies to catch up on.

Takes me around an hour or two just to read selectively. My one main criticism about the newspaper is sometimes they find ways to write with great quantity but little substance - I would read a double page spread, probably the equivalent of 6 or 7 book pages, and I could hardly take many points from it. Anyone else the same?
You don't have to read all of it. I wouldn't read the science and South America parts and sometimes the politics. It probably took me 3 days to read most of it, but I was spending most of my time on it. They usually use economics jargon and you pick up on their meanings by researching them individually, so they might use the terms quantitative easing, and they assume you know that. You pick up on small things.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's an odd newspaper. My reading strategy is normally just going through the short news updates at the front, then just choosing any articles I like the look of.

The articles are very dense, but as long as you get the main points there's no problem skimming parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1255194
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Yeah, I'm trying to expand my knowledge of the global economy tho. I want to be able to talk about foreign economies to some depth so I'm having to read a lot.

Venezuela and Argentinas exchange rate crisis is interesting, south american economics shouldn't be over looked.

The usa stuff is ridiculously boring in my opinion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pro Crastination
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usually I read sections in one sitting, say, I'll read the Britain section for 30-40 minutes. Then a few hours later or the next day I'll read the economics and finance section. The 14 page reports and technology quarterly are like a nice treat every once in a while - I usually read them in one sitting too. I used to read it cover to cover when I first started my subscription, but I really only read Leaders, Britain, F&E, Business (though usually not all of the stories), Science and Technology, and Arts - I usually look for books on politics and current affairs with reasonable reviews and stick them on an amazon list. If I see an interesting story in any of the other regional sections I'll have a read, but I normally never read Asia or The Americas (unless there's a Canadian story) - normally Lexington is good for the US, so I often read that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (166)
59.29%
I don't have everything I need (114)
40.71%

Watched Threads