The Student Room Group

inverse square law ( physics)

can someone please explain this to me? Will it come up as an equation or question ?
Original post by rubyp97
can someone please explain this to me? Will it come up as an equation or question ?

What do you mean? I don't really understand what you're asking and what context it's in...

All I can say is that inverse square laws pop up in a few equations from time to time (gravitational attraction and Coulomb's law being a few) and all they say is that the specified quantity (intensity, forces etc.) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance of the source(s).
Original post by rubyp97

Basically, it's just a quick way of finding the difference in the strength of a Force or something else that is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, when the only thing changing is the distance between the things affected, as in this situation everything but the thing you want to find out (force etc.) and the distance are the same, so can be represented by a single constant.

I think it will come up in some form, but I don't know your exam board or what unit you are talking about, so difficult to say how it will come up

Anyway, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
thanks, its to do with radiation, so probably about how the intensity of the radiation decreases as the distance increases
Original post by rubyp97
thanks, its to do with radiation, so probably about how the intensity of the radiation decreases as the distance increases

Ahh, the gamma radiation one, yeah think that will probably come up

Quick Reply

Latest