The Student Room Group

How important are gcse grades

So i'm currently looking at Uni options and I was wondering just how much do GCSE grades affect you. I did not do that well at GCSE (1 c, 4B''s, 4A's and 1 A*) but I have worked really hard for As level and I'm looking to get around 2-3 A's if all goes to plan.

I plan on doing either Politics/international relations or Management

Do you reckon I can apply to top unis?( except Oxbridge)
Depends on the course, most courses care much more about your A level grades. As far as I know only very popular courses like medicine, dentistry; have gcse grades as entry requirements.

Best thing to do is to maybe contact admissions tutors at unis you're planning on applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I got 6As 2Bs and 2Cs at GCSE and I have a conditional offer from Edinburgh. I also got accepted to Exeter, Leeds and Birmingham.

They care about your AS levels a lot more I think. Also you have to have a good personal statement.

So long as you did well in Maths and English at GCSE. Those are the ones they usually look at. I got As in both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jj225
So i'm currently looking at Uni options and I was wondering just how much do GCSE grades affect you. I did not do that well at GCSE (1 c, 4B''s, 4A's and 1 A*) but I have worked really hard for As level and I'm looking to get around 2-3 A's if all goes to plan.

I plan on doing either Politics/international relations or Management

Do you reckon I can apply to top unis?( except Oxbridge)

ALevels matter a lot more. I got 5A's 5B's 1C with the C being in Maths and I got offers from Sheffield, Leeds and Birmingham for IR
Reply 4
oo! interesting. Thank you so much for your responses! This uni process of applying is already killing me. How did you narrow your options down(for your uni choices)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jj225
oo! interesting. Thank you so much for your responses! This uni process of applying is already killing me. How did you narrow your options down(for your uni choices)

League tables, subject content, how good study abroad unis are if you want to do that, how much money you can get in bursaries paired with how far you want to be from home and what kind of campus you want.

Open days are a must.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So long as you meet the stated GCSE requirements, it's more than worth you applying :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jj225

I already knew that I wanted to be on a campus uni near a city and ideally not an ex poly, so I found out which were campus unis, researched about them and entry requirements. Once entry requirements were taken into account it narrowed things down to Leeds, Birmingham, UEA. As I thought I ought to apply to 2 more unis I made Sheffield my high choice and Portsmouth my safety net based on league tables. I did also visit all but Birmingham before applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending