unisearch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have got offers from ucl and bath for mechanical engineering.Ucl' s overall ranking is very high but the mechanical engineering department is ranked very low.I would like to know the reason for this.Even though bath is ranked really high in the uk it is ranked in the 200s worldwide.what should i do ?
What about the other engineering departments in Ucl.Is it possible to change your course before start of term.I would like to switch to electrical if possible.Please comment?It would be really helpful if i get a reply soon.
shayanc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry for the late reply, didn't see your post earlier. I'm currently a first year Mechanical Engineering student at UCL and I was in the same position as you last year, only difference was I was stuck between Southampton and UCL. As you said UCL is ranked very highly overall but has a very low ranking, specially for mech eng but Bath has a decent ranking for the course. There can be several reasons for this. Student satisfaction can be one of the main reasons as UCL mech eng has very low student satisfaction as most of the students don't like the way the department operates. Also the course is VERY VERY VERY hard compared to most other courses even other engineering courses and therefore there's a drop is results and student satisfaction. If you see the complete uni guide league table UCL mech eng is 2nd worst in the country for student satisfaction but 3rd best in terms of entry grades. So a lot of people who don't get into Imperial or Cambridge for this course turn up at UCL for the name. Even though they ask for only AAA/AAB grades you're very likely to find a handful of people with 3A*s or more. These are clever kids who would do well in the course no matter how bad the teaching or course structure is because they work hard from the first day. I can't comment much about the lecturers as I've not been to any other uni or courses to compare them with. Most of them are average but some are really awful and some are absolute geniuses....The head of department has changed recently and therefore a lot of changes are being made in the department, the computer labs are fitted with new faster computers with all the necessary engineering software installed. Generally the facilities are good and most of the time the labs give you a better understanding of the subject. There're about 8 modules although I head for your year the whole course structure is going to change. Also as you asked after joining UCL mech eng you can quit or change courses as long as you do it quickly (preferably within the first two weeks) and you meet the entry requirements of the other course and there're spaces there and they want you. I know a couple who switched to chem eng, it isn't difficult. I don't know what you chose as your firm and insurance but both of this unis are top class and an engineering degree from either of them is brilliant! In conclusion I would say UCL is a really fun, sociable uni in a great location but the course makes the whole experience a bit meh.... I had my first year exams this May and they didn't go terrible well as I didn't have enough time for revision due to all the lab reports, assignments, design exercises we get all year round. Also I got de-motivated and procrastinated a lot due to my falling grades... BIG MISTAKE! But if you work hard all year round and pace yourself and learn what's needed for the exam you should be fine and coming out with a decent grade from UCL with a mech eng degree will set you up well for the future.
Jaes1040
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
According to the UCL prospectus, BEng Mechanical engineering for 2015 entry require AAB. I am currently Year 12(just finished my AS) and I've got A*ABB(prediction). A* for maths A for Further maths 2B's for phy and chem. Is there any chance to receive an offer from UCL Mec Eng??
Flo2015
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pls Shayanc, can you provide more details on the Mech Eng since you have spent another session. Is UCL Mech Eng worth the stress? Is the dept better now? All the info. Thanks
Flo2015
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shayanc)
Sorry for the late reply, didn't see your post earlier. I'm currently a first year Mechanical Engineering student at UCL and I was in the same position as you last year, only difference was I was stuck between Southampton and UCL. As you said UCL is ranked very highly overall but has a very low ranking, specially for mech eng but Bath has a decent ranking for the course. There can be several reasons for this. Student satisfaction can be one of the main reasons as UCL mech eng has very low student satisfaction as most of the students don't like the way the department operates. Also the course is VERY VERY VERY hard compared to most other courses even other engineering courses and therefore there's a drop is results and student satisfaction. If you see the complete uni guide league table UCL mech eng is 2nd worst in the country for student satisfaction but 3rd best in terms of entry grades. So a lot of people who don't get into Imperial or Cambridge for this course turn up at UCL for the name. Even though they ask for only AAA/AAB grades you're very likely to find a handful of people with 3A*s or more. These are clever kids who would do well in the course no matter how bad the teaching or course structure is because they work hard from the first day. I can't comment much about the lecturers as I've not been to any other uni or courses to compare
them with. Most of them are average but some are really awful and some are absolute geniuses....The head of department has changed recently and therefore a lot of changes are being made in the department, the computer labs are fitted with new faster computers with all the necessary engineering software installed. Generally the facilities are good and most of the time the labs give you a better understanding of the subject. There're about 8 modules although I head for your year the whole course structure is going to change. Also as you asked after joining UCL mech eng you can quit or change courses as long as you do it quickly (preferably within the first two weeks) and you meet the entry requirements of the other course and there're spaces there and they want you. I know a couple who switched to chem eng, it isn't difficult. I don't know what you chose as your firm and insurance but both of this unis are top class and an engineering degree from either of them is brilliant! In conclusion I would say UCL is a really fun, sociable uni in a great location but the course makes the whole experience a bit meh.... I had my first year exams this May and they didn't go terrible well as I didn't have enough time for revision due to all the lab reports, assignments, design exercises we get all year round. Also I got de-motivated and procrastinated a lot due to my falling grades... BIG MISTAKE! But if you work hard all year round and pace yourself and learn what's needed for the exam you should be fine and coming out with a decent grade from UCL with a mech eng degree will set you up well for the future.
Hi. Pls now you have done a further year at UCL mechanical engineering can you provide more information. Is the department better now? The lectures, grading, stuff learnt, etc. are the students feeling better now . Have things improved?
felix3210
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am in a similar position with offers from UCL, Bath and Bristol. I am very keen to stay in London but I have read a lot of negative reviews of the teaching at UCL - it sounds like there isn't a lot of support on a very difficult course. Should this put me off? Also, any ideas on how the course is viewed from an industry perspective?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads