The Student Room Group

limiting value

in my book the it says to work out the limiting value of n^2 + 4n divided by n^2 +8 as n tends towards infinity . THe answer is one. I just don't understand why you get rid of the 4n??
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SweetCherry1
in my book the it says to work out the limiting of n^2 + 4n divided by n +8 as n tends towards infinity . THe answer is one. I just don't understand why you get rid of the 4n??

What do you mean? n isn't a common factor, so you can't get rid of anything :confused:

What have you tried so far?
Original post by Arithmeticae
What do you mean? n isn't a common factor, so you can't get rid of anything :confused:

What have you tried so far?

well they got rid of 4n and 8 because the answer is n^2 over n^2 which is one
well they got rid of 4n and 8 because the answer is n^2 over n^2 which is one

Do you mean

n2+4nn+8n^2 + \dfrac{4n}{n+8}

or

n2+4nn+8\dfrac{n^2+4n}{n+8}?

Edit - The answer for both is infinity anyway :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you mean

n2+4nn+8n^2 + \dfrac{4n}{n+8}

or

n2+4nn+8\dfrac{n^2+4n}{n+8}?

Edit - The answer for both is infinity anyway :s-smilie:

the second one and the answer is one- my teacher told me to get rid of the 8 because its irrelevant when n tends towards infinity. but I don't understand why you get rid of the 4n:confused: how can the limiting value be infinity??
(edited 9 years ago)
the second one and the answer is one- my teacher told me to get rid of the 8 because its irrelevant when n tends towards infinity. but I don't understand why you get rid of the 4n:confused:

Wolfram says infinity as well...
Reply 6

As does L'Hopital's rule, which is always useful in these types of questions (though apparently you can't use it for the main method, though it's good for a quick check).

Posted from TSR Mobile

the limiting value cant be infinity- what are you saying infinity is- n?
Original post by Krollo
As does L'Hopital's rule, which is always useful in these types of questions (though apparently you can't use it for the main method, though it's good for a quick check).

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how I checked it as well, it seems a bit over the top for A level though :/

the limiting value cant be infinity- what are you saying infinity is- n?

As n tends to infinity, the function also tends to infinity.
Reply 9
in my book the it says to work out the limiting value of n^2 + 4n divided by n +8 as n tends towards infinity . THe answer is one. I just don't understand why you get rid of the 4n??

The answer isn't one, the answer is infinity.

Are you sure you've copied the question down properly - is it supposed to be n^2 + 8 or something on the denominator?
That's how I checked it as well, it seems a bit over the top for A level though :/

As n tends to infinity, the function also tends to infinity.

this isn't A-level its GCSE. THe answer is one- for all the questions I have beend doing on limiting values the answer is never infinity. The question is what is the limiting value- not what it tends towards
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Rearrange to get this
y=x4+32x+8\Large y= x-4+\frac{32}{x+8}
and as x tends to infinity
yx4\Large y \rightarrow x-4
I don't think u guys understand my question. Im only doing GCSE it shouldn't be that complicated
this isn't A-level its GCSE. THe answer is one- for all the questions I have beend doing on limiting values the answer is never infinity.

Unless you've written it down wrong, the limit is definitely not 1... :s-smilie:

The question is what is the limiting value- not what it tends towards

AFAIK they're the same thing, aren't they... :confused:
Unless you've written it down wrong, the limit is definitely not 1... :s-smilie:

AFAIK they're the same thing, aren't they... :confused:

oops sorry I writ the question wrong... the denominator Is n^2 plus 8
Reply 15
this isn't A-level its GCSE. THe answer is one- for all the questions I have beend doing on limiting values the answer is never infinity. The question is what is the limiting value- not what it tends towards

The answer is definitely NOT 1. And "limiting value" means "what it tends towards". Can you give us a screenshot of the printed question please?

Original post by rs232

and as x tends to infinity
yx4\Large y \rightarrow x-4

Unfortunately that's mathematically meaningless

So your question is

n2+4n2+8\dfrac{n^2+4}{n^2+8}?

That's a lot easier, we can divide everything through by n^2 to get

limnn2+4n2+8=limn1+4n21+8n2\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{n^2+4}{n^2+8} = \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{1 + \frac{4}{n^2}}{1 + \frac{8}{n^2}}

and most of the terms should just drop out to leave you with 1/1.
Reply 17

Now we're getting somewhere!!

Ok, so

n2+4nn2+8=1+(4/n)1+(8/n2)\displaystyle \dfrac{n^2 + 4n}{n^2 + 8} = \dfrac{1 + (4/n)}{1 + (8/n^2)}

As n tends to infinity, both top and bottom approach the finite limit 1, so the ratio's limiting value is 1.
So your question is

n2+4n2+8\dfrac{n^2+4}{n^2+8}?

That's a lot easier, we can divide everything through by n^2 to get

limnn2+4n2+8=limn1+4n21+8n2\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{n^2+4}{n^2+8} = \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{1 + \frac{4}{n^2}}{1 + \frac{8}{n^2}}

and most of the terms should just drop out to leave you with 1/1.

no the numerator is 4n not 4. how do they just drop out??
Original post by davros
Now we're getting somewhere!!

Ok, so

n2+4nn2+8=1+(4/n)1+(8/n2)\displaystyle \dfrac{n^2 + 4n}{n^2 + 8} = \dfrac{1 + (4/n)}{1 + (8/n^2)}

As n tends to infinity, both top and bottom approach the finite limit 1, so the ratio's limiting value is 1.

what happens with the 4n and the 8?? and BTW how do you write like that??

Quick Reply

Latest