Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)

Kinder surprise..No, im not saying i know in depth details about every single religion, but im WILLING to learn. Learning about other religions, knowing what their basics are i think is necessary in the type of world we live in today. Of course it is impossible to comprehend all religions, but who said its IMPOSSIBLE to try?
    Yes, but you seem to condemn those who do not understand your religion. Perhaps they go home every night and read multiple books on sikhism, who knows? Get your facts straight before making any judgements.
    xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)
    Kinder surprise..No, im not saying i know in depth details about every single religion, but im WILLING to learn. Learning about other religions, knowing what their basics are i think is necessary in the type of world we live in today. Of course it is impossible to comprehend all religions, but who said its IMPOSSIBLE to try?
    I agree. There's nothing wrong with a broad brush understanding of many faiths. I'm just emphasizing the importance of learning about christianity before all other faiths in what is after all a christian country.

You on the other hand seem to be suggesting that all faiths ought to be given equal attention in school RE classes. That's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    How about letting ppl do what they want, and if they want to find out about Sikhism or any other religion then they can go and research it for themselves. We don't need it force-fed to us.

ReputationRep:
    Im not condemning anyone who doesnt understand my religion. Im saying.. in THIS day and age..a broad understanding of larger religions is important!

Howard...not once did i mention that. I agree that that could never happen, seeing as Chrisitanity is the main religion of this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimBob)
    How about letting ppl do what they want, and if they want to find out about Sikhism or any other religion then they can go and research it for themselves. We don't need it force-fed to us.
    Here here
    xox

ReputationRep:

You dont NEED to click on the thread title Jim bob if you dont want to. It clearly states what the thread is about.

*rolls eyes*

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Don't lecture me on religion. I am a true son of the Church of England and frankly don't give a **** about Sihkism. I'm interested in it as a curiosity but nothing more.

There's nothing wrong with saying "happy vaisahki' but my life will not be greatly improved by a detailed understanding of what to me is a pagan religion.

So go **** your ugly self

Oh, and you absolutely no justification for calling anyone ugly.

Again it can be argued that your vision of ugliness is just a reflection of your inner demonic self-perception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)
    inner demonic self-perception.
    I shudder to imagine the intricices of your religion lol
    xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)
    Im not condemning anyone who doesnt understand my religion. Im saying.. in THIS day and age..a broad understanding of larger religions is important!

Howard...not once did i mention that. I agree that that could never happen, seeing as Chrisitanity is the main religion of this country.
    I took your "I don't give a CRAP about how often people don't go to church" comment together with your "everyone should know about Sikhism so as not to be ignorant" attitude as a bloody insult.

England becomes more secular by the day with a wholesale abandonment of God and you recommend we all go out and learn about Sikhism. Not a particularly helpful recommendation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)
    Oh, and you absolutely no justification for calling anyone ugly.

Again it can be argued that your vision of ugliness is just a reflection of your inner demonic self-perception.
    Demonic! Careful. I might posess you and make you burn.

ReputationRep:
    its true, no one should be force fed religion. But, I think the point of this post is just to let ppl know a little about vaisakhi and sikhism in general, especially after the ignorant comments on that other thread ("the sihks hijacked vaisakhi" "*rolls eyes*" ).

If yre gonna comment on something, know something about it first.

ReputationRep:
    CHill out. We are are children of god and will go to heaven and live happily ever after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animal555)
    its true, no one should be force fed religion. But, I think the point of this post is just to let ppl know a little about vaisakhi and sikhism in general, especially after the ignorant comments on that other thread ("the sihks hijacked vaisakhi" "*rolls eyes*" ).

If yre gonna comment on something, know something about it first.
    Hear hear. Did anyone actually READ the caps lock at the top of this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Howard

Why do you feel the need to pigeon-hole the entire country into one broad category of Christianity, when...

a) There are many subdivisions within Christianity itself that dont necessarily believe the same thing.
    b) Other world religions practice the same core beliefs and by promoting Christianity over the rest you undervalue them.
    c) Why is it impossible to comprehend all religions?

You teach about all religions you dont breed ignorance, its that simple.

ReputationRep:
    Its the intracacies of the religion that I follow are really not that hard to understand. Its just being open to wanting to know about them.

The fact is that the only reason you would call anyone ugly is because your measuring stick of beauty falls short of where you wants to be. Again, think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)
    Its the intracacies of the religion that I follow are really not that hard to understand. Its just being open to wanting to know about them.

The fact is that the only reason you would call anyone ugly is because your measuring stick of beauty falls short of where you wants to be. Again, think about it.
    Find me a post where i used the word ugly please
    xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)
    Howard

Why do you feel the need to pigeon-hole the entire country into one broad category of Christianity, when...

a) There are many subdivisions within Christianity itself that dont necessarily believe the same thing.
    b) Other world religions practice the same core beliefs and by promoting Christianity over the rest you undervalue them.
    c) Why is it impossible to comprehend all religions?

You teach about all religions you dont breed ignorance, its that simple.
    a) Because England is a christian country with small pockets of non christians and not the other way around.

b) Core beliefs? That has nothing to do with it. The fact that Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism etc all preach a message of peace is irrelevant.

c) Because even Jesuit priests that take 14 years to train and have a working equivalent of 3 Phd's cannot comprehend all religions. This makes the likelihood of thee or me doing it pretty slim.

ReputationRep:
    teaching all religions would be a little difficult since each believes it is the right one, but teaching tolerance and respect towards the beliefs of others (which most religions promote) may be better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)

Oh my god, please don't talk about pigeon holing the country. We are not a secular country like france we are a christian country, so if thats pigeon holing then im fine with it. Dont come on here, and start telling everyone they're ignorant. I'd like to see how far you'd get in a muslim country with such ideas. As many sikhs can live in this country as they want as far as im concerned, but dont make out that that changes the fact that this is a christian country, and the fact that we dont have to learn about other religions if we dont want to. though i do admit that people who refuse to learn about other religions full stop are missing out, and may be classified as ignorant on this respect. Just don't try and preach to those who don't want to hear, it wont get you brownie points.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.