The Student Room Group

A Levels for a Physics degree?

Hello people! Potentially I want to try and apply to Oxford/Cambridge in the area of Physics. Could someone explain to me the most valuable A level subjects to take please? Right now I'm thinking Physics, Maths and Biology. While i'm aware that taking Further Maths would be a great help for both admissions and the degree course itself, I feel that having more of a variety would be better. Yes, I know that you can take four. But I prefer to focus on only three - for the best grades. THANKS!
Maths, Further Maths, Physics. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RocketCiaranJ
Hello people! Potentially I want to try and apply to Oxford/Cambridge in the area of Physics. Could someone explain to me the most valuable A level subjects to take please? Right now I'm thinking Physics, Maths and Biology. While i'm aware that taking Further Maths would be a great help for both admissions and the degree course itself, I feel that having more of a variety would be better. Yes, I know that you can take four. But I prefer to focus on only three - for the best grades. THANKS!

maths, further maths, additional further maths, physics :smile: - If you're sure physics is for you, then you wont need variety, obviously physics is a must and then as much maths as you can get will seriously help! - even if you don't want to take four a levels to a2 I would at least do four as's!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tdx
maths, further maths, additonal further maths, physics :smile:

I wouldn't say additional further maths is actually beneficial for admissions to be honest. I think having biology as his forth AS level would actually serve as a better choice as it shows some variation instead of solely maths based subjects, especially when they've stated above that they don't particularly want to do further maths as it is
Original post by tdx
maths, further maths, additional further maths, physics :smile: - If you're sure physics is for you, then you wont need variety, obviously physics is a must and then as much maths as you can get will seriously help! - even if you don't want to take four a levels to a2 I would at least do four as's!

Not all exam boards offer 'additional further maths'.
Reply 5
Original post by GeogBerry
I wouldn't say additional further maths is actually beneficial for admissions to be honest. I think having biology as his forth AS level would actually serve as a better choice as it shows some variation instead of solely maths based subjects, especially when they've stated above that they don't particularly want to do further maths as it is

I doubt variety would help for an Oxbridge physics admission - further maths and additional further are likely to help with the entrance exams (I think) and I reckon they'd certainly help once you start the course, especially at oxbridge
Reply 6
Sociology, history, French and dance.
Original post by RocketCiaranJ

Speaking as somone who was in roughly the same position as you a while back, I can probably speak from a little bit of experience.

If you're certain that you're not going to deviate from a degree in maths/physics, I'd recommend Maths, Further Maths, Additional FM and Physics. In my opinion, there isn't a combination of A-levels more rewarding in terms of personal gain and looking badass on your UCAS application.

If you're to do these, though, it's worth noting that you'll be essentially marrying your textbooks for the next two years. Doing such a hard combination of A-levels is, of course, unbelievably rewarding, but also a very big time commitment. That being said, if you're keen and organised, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I'll tell you this too. I was set that I wanted to do physics at university, but after being married to maths for two years I decided that I'd rather do maths than physics. So I guess a warning if you decide to do so much maths is something along the lines of 'Beware, serious chance of really enjoying yourself'.

Best of luck in making some informed decisions, and all the best!

EDIT: When it comes down to mathematics/physics and chosing a 'variety' of subjects, I'd warn you that it's all nonsense. In what universe (pun intended) does a mathematician/physicist need to be skilled in how plants grow or how animals do such and such.

People are always told to chose a variety of subjects to keep their doors open, but if you're certain that you know what degree you want to do then there is no question of variety - simply do what you need.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Tarquin Digby
Not all exam boards offer 'additional further maths'.

didn't know this, however I did say as much maths as possible - only my opinion anyway haha - tis what I'd recommend, but I'm by no means an expert on physics admissions haha
Try to do Further Maths if you can, at least to AS, preferably to A2 (I can't recall if A2 is required for Cambridge Physics modules or not). Variety means jack **** to Cambridge (don't know about Oxford).

Cambridge will look at your only having three and think you're a lightweight (according to a Director of Studies there), since successful applicants will have an average 4-5 A2s at A-A* grade. I would take 4 (even if you only take Biology to AS).

Can you take 5 AS Levels including F.Maths? Seems odd to me that you have to take F.Maths as one of your four AS subjects.
Original post by tdx
I doubt variety would help for an Oxbridge physics admission - further maths and additional further are likely to help with the entrance exams (I think) and I reckon they'd certainly help once you start the course, especially at oxbridge

Yes it would definitely help when on the course and the entrance exams, but I know people who have gotten in with chemistry as their fourth A level just fine. What I'm saying is 1) they has to do further maths and 2) they can still do biology. Personally, I think doing 3 maths and physics at AS level is a bit narrow, even when they are the hardest subjects to take (in general not for the specific course)
(edited 9 years ago)
Maths, Further Maths, Further Additional Maths, Physics and Additional Physics

A-Level Pottery may help :tongue:
Reply 12
Yes it would definitely help when on the course and the entrance exams, but I know people who have gotten in with chemistry as their fourth A level just fine. What I'm saying is 1) they has to do further maths and 2) they can still do biology. Personally, I think doing 3 maths and physics at AS level is a bit narrow, even when they are the hardest subjects to take (in general not for the specific course)

that's fair enough, all I'm saying is that I personally would say it'd much better to get as much maths in as possible (something that would be hugely beneficial for physics) rather than doing a subject that is unlikely to offer a physicist much help at all - this is assuming that the student in question is absolutely 100% set on physics and unlikely to deviate from that path haha :smile:
Original post by tdx
that's fair enough, all I'm saying is that I personally would say it'd much better to get as much maths in as possible (something that would be hugely beneficial for physics) rather than doing a subject that is unlikely to offer a physicist much help at all - this is assuming that the student in question is absolutely 100% set on physics and unlikely to deviate from that path haha :smile:

You do learn about protons, photons and electrochemical gradients (potential difference) in respiration, photosynethsis and nerves at A2 though :wink:

Yeah I get what you mean, they'd have to be 100% set on physics definitely as they'd have no other option than a maths based degree.

Personally I wanted to do civil engineering after GCSEs but I didn't like Physics at all at AS so settled for Biology instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
You do learn about protons, photons and electrochemical gradients (potential difference) in respiration, photosynethsis and nerves at A2 though :wink:

Yeah I get what you mean, they'd have to be 100% set on physics definitely as they'd have no other option than a maths based degree.

Personally I wanted to do civil engineering after GCSEs but I didn't like Physics at all at AS so settled for Biology instead.

haha touche - I hated Chemistry at GCSE, but carried it on anyway - by the end of the a2 I somehow ended up really enjoying it and came out with an a*
Original post by tdx
haha touche - I hated Chemistry at GCSE, but carried it on anyway - by the end of the a2 I somehow ended up really enjoying it and came out with an a*

Nice! It always happens like that, I didn't particularly like the AS in any of my subjects, but looking back I think biology and physics were actually the most interesting (once you've put in the effort)

Another reason to study multiple lab based sciences is Cambridge only offer a degree in natural sciences so it's likely you'll be doing modules in other sciences. I know my friend who applied had an interview with the department of chemistry and physics even though he only wanted to study physics
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest