Dating some with Borderline Schizophrenia?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok so a couple of weeks ago i pulled a girl at a friends bbq, now i ended up spending the entire night with her, we made out a couple of times (i felt a little awkward doing so, that's personal insecurities though) she came back to mine and crashed on my bed (nothing happened)

Now she admitted that she liked me, i kind of like her too, she is cute, however there are a few 'problems' firstly as the title suggests she admitted she is a borderline schizophrenic, she is also on anti-depressants and has an anxiety issue, the last two i can easily cope with as i myself am an anxious person and have had mild depression for the past year

What i'm concerned about is how to deal with (to use the term loosely) with the Schizophrenia, i would be open for trying something with this girl, my problem is that i've never met anyone who is schizo before, my knowledge of schizophrenia is limited to Hollywood over dramatisation of the hallucinations and hearing voices

Just not quite sure how to handle it / what to do about the situation, apparently when the person hears voices they can't ear anything but those voices so i'd have no idea what to do in that situation, also she isn't on meds for the schizo as she is only borderline
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have schizoaffective disorder which is similar to schizophrenia and, for me at least, I've managed to hold down a relationship for 7years. I'm now married and although my wife has no mental health conditions, she's extremely understanding most of the time. So I know relationships aren't impossible but, I'm not gonna lie, it can take a lot of effort to make them work. I guess it depends how much you like this girl and how much effort you're prepared to put in. I'd say the first thing you should do is not describe the girl as "schizo", it could be interpreted as offensive to some people. The second thing, while I know I can't speak for everyone who hears voices, when I hear them I can still hear other sounds too - one of the things that calms me down most is talking to my wife when the voices are being particularly loud, it's difficult but possible. Everyone is different though and what works for one person may not work for another. The most important thing you can do is ask her. You said you don't know how to handle the situation so talk to her and ask her what would help. You could also try educating yourself about mental health conditions. I know the charity Mind has online booklets about various disorders which should help you get your head round the basics.

Is she seeing a psychiatrist?
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
"schizo"
I'm well gonna start calling you that now. :teehee:

OP, definitely educate yourself a little about schizophrenia - like Saber says, Mind is a good place to start. And talking to her about her illness is important too, as she might have very definite ideas about how much or little she wants you to be around when things get tough for her, or if there's anything you can do to help or not.

Just as importantly though, remember not to define her by her illness. She's still an individual with all different character traits separate to her having schizophrenia, so just enjoy spending time with her and remember whatever it is about her that makes her special.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Note i only use Schizo as i can't be bothered to type Schizophrenia all the time (that and i suck at spelling)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads